What's new

1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!! UPDATE!!! SOLD!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
5,634
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
UPDATE
I went to the Coin show in Baltimore today. I spoke to maybe 30
dealers. The 1784 and the two other large coppers (1771 and 1776) that were found at
the same site within a short period of time were purchased
by a dealer for a "handsome price"! Cruising around the show I happened by the same
dealer who grabbed me out of the isle to introduce me to a man that bought all three
of my "collection".
The gentleman proceded to ask me for my phone number so that he could interview me
later about the "wonderful collection of imitations that came from one yard". He seemed
VERY excited and told me that the numismatic society should "work more closely with
Metal Detecting Community in order that these kinds of finds with stories could see the
light of day and be shared with all as a genuine History recovering operation".
Just a note.... I Cleaned all three of the coins, and both the dealer and the buyer were
extremely happy with the end results after seeing the "before" photos. I thought I had
screwed up by cleaning them, apparently not.
I highly recommend these types of shows for us detectorists. I learned so much from
almost everyone I spoke to.


UPDATE....
I contacted several auction houses in regards to this coin and after viewing the coin
the estimated price for the coin varied but averaged in the $1000+ Range. SHWEEEEET!!!
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.
I know that this is not a big deal to most, but it is to me.
Thanks for all the comments and messages!!!



Yesterday I got permission to hunt a property that has
belonged to the same family since the 1700s. The lady
that owns it now has us working to keep the place
historical and liveable.
This morning, Civilman, Howard and myself hit the place
running. Now, it has been detected before, but we have
no idea how much.
The property has the main house, the original house
(four rooms), A butchering and smoke house, a blacksmiths
shop, a brick privy, a spring house at the well, a log
hog barn, a huge barn, and four other misc. buildings.
The property is on 200 acres and also has a lime kiln
that had an explosion and went out of business in 1905.
The property is also directly on the route that the
soldiers used to leave the battle of Gettysburg.
So we have high hopes for the place.
Today I found a 1784 MACHIN'S MILLS HALFPENNY!!!
Here are some photos. Enjoy!


IMG_3819.webp

IMG_3820.webp

All cleaned up.

IMG_3821.webp

IMG_3823.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Congrats on the banner!!!!

Burdie
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Holy cow...that's AWESOME :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!!

Hey Ty.......Have you got any word or an update on the counterfeit yet? That's gotta be killing you man.Keep us posted :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Joe, waiting for the return calls is tough!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

What a BEAUTIFUL coin !!!!

Congrats on the BANNER find :thumbsup:

D.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

:wink: I hope you do well with the coin. The Vlack 14-84A is a special coin, since it has generated a lot of interest amongst colonial collectors with its unusual design, and originally thought to be a Machins Mills, but I believe that has now been debunked. The debate now is if it is a American made or British made counterfeit.
I posted over a year ago a clipped planchet coin that apparently after being studied was made by the same person with the same letter die punches. I am anxiously awaiting the results of a detailed analysis of this variety of counterfeits. My coin is only one of two and possibly three known, so I am keeping an eye out for finds being posted to see if more show up. I recognized your Vlack 14-84A immediately by its distinctive look. So glad you found one in such decent looking condition. Again good luck with whatever you decide to do with your find.

Don
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

AWESOME FIND! I have found a Virginia Plowshare coppa here in Michigan. It is a copy, But Depending on who made the copy, it may be worth more than the original coin. I don't know how to find out who made this coin. The word copy can only be seen with a 10X loupe, letters are only about 1/64" tall. Once again, Congratulations on the AWESOME find!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Don in SJ said:
:wink: I hope you do well with the coin. The Vlack 14-84A is a special coin, since it has generated a lot of interest amongst colonial collectors with its unusual design, and originally thought to be a Machins Mills, but I believe that has now been debunked. The debate now is if it is a American made or British made counterfeit.
I posted over a year ago a clipped planchet coin that apparently after being studied was made by the same person with the same letter die punches. I am anxiously awaiting the results of a detailed analysis of this variety of counterfeits. My coin is only one of two and possibly three known, so I am keeping an eye out for finds being posted to see if more show up. I recognized your Vlack 14-84A immediately by its distinctive look. So glad you found one in such decent looking condition. Again good luck with whatever you decide to do with your find.

Don


Thanks for clearing that up. After you posted the link I almost corrected a post soon after calling it Machins Mills but then the link with the sale went on so I did not know what to think.
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

tymcmurray said:
UPDATE....
I know that it was pure luck, finding this coin. I hope everybody gets a chance to make a
find that is better than their usual finds.

Tym,
While luck certainly has something to do with a find like this, it is obvious that you had done enough research to know where the "good stuff" might be found.

My motto is "The more research you do, the luckier you get".

Congratulations again on a once in a lifetime find!

Neil
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Spectacular, Ty! That is quite a rare find!! Are you going to sell it, being that it has an appraisal value over $1000? I'm not sure if I could part with such a rare coin find!

Hey, are you the guy that uses the dowsing rods occasionally? I remember someone with your, or similar, user-id talking about finding coins with his dowsing rod. :icon_scratch:

Congrats again.

CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Don in SJ said:
:wink: I hope you do well with the coin. The Vlack 14-84A is a special coin, since it has generated a lot of interest amongst colonial collectors with its unusual design, and originally thought to be a Machins Mills, but I believe that has now been debunked. The debate now is if it is a American made or British made counterfeit.
I posted over a year ago a clipped planchet coin that apparently after being studied was made by the same person with the same letter die punches. I am anxiously awaiting the results of a detailed analysis of this variety of counterfeits. My coin is only one of two and possibly three known, so I am keeping an eye out for finds being posted to see if more show up. I recognized your Vlack 14-84A immediately by its distinctive look. So glad you found one in such decent looking condition. Again good luck with whatever you decide to do with your find.

Don

Don, I GREATLY appreciate your watchful eye and helpful advice!!!
Good luck with you coin.
Please let us know how things go.
Thanks again!!!!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

VERY NICE TY WAS THAT IN HAGERSTOWN. WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Congratulations. Very informative post. That is a find that many of us would have never seen if you had not found it.

KG6YLL
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

wtg there nice finds, tg
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

Nice find!
 
Re: 1784 Large Halfpenny!!!!!!!!! Yesss!!!!!!! UPDATE!!!

What an awesome find T-Mac. No way I could part with that baby. :D
 
That's pretty sweet Ty.....Not gonna ask how much you got but I thought it was pretty RUDE to have the Heritage people ask you to come all the way there and then to pretend like you never existed :icon_scratch: If you're happy with it Buddy,that's all that matter's :thumbsup:
 
Way to go, Ty! :thumbsup:

Nana
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom