Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1788 Vermont Copper! Rare Variety??- Video Added!

I finally got out today and tried my new White's TRX. The fluorescent cap came in handy because I left it behind after my last dig of the day. First dig was a deep nickel which turned out to be a 1904 Libery Head, pretty beat up but glad to get a date. The next was the copper...not a good signal at all, but glad I dug this deep signal. It must have been on it's edge! Also got a bird band (still working on the number to track it)
and a tiny silver coin which is likely to be trime.
IMG_00001356.jpg IMG_00001357.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEAUTY :thumbsup: WTG

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Vermont. It does appear to be a Ryder 21, but it's the only one I've ever seen with such an early die state reverse. There is usually a heavy die break starting at the first 8 in the date and curving up to the left. This is also technically a high grade coin and was probably at least XF when it was lost. Nice find!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Great finds Neil, the Vermont has great detail on it, Congrats on a great start :thumbsup:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Vermont. It does appear to be a Ryder 21, but it's the only one I've ever seen with such an early die state reverse. There is usually a heavy die break starting at the first 8 in the date and curving up to the left. This is also technically a high grade coin and was probably at least XF when it was lost. Nice find!

Don thinks it's an R-23.

"99.9% certain it is a 1788 Ryder 23 variety,going by position of hand in relation to letter E"

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don thinks it's an R-23. "99.9% certain it is a 1788 Ryder 23 variety,going by position of hand in relation to letter E"

Well every now and than the .1% appears. I have a R-21, duh,,, but the 23 and 21 are close but I see one is a high shield and one a low shield, took awhile to see that the high shield is further from the 88 than the low shield. The first 8 of the R21 in the photos I have (mine the date is almost off the coin) is a tad higher than second 8, but the darn arm position looks closer to the R-23, that is what I went on, perhaps the angle of your photo.. But the shield position not matter what angle the photo is at, still looks like a High shield, thus IP is correct on it being a R-21.

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice detail on that copper Neil. I would love to come across one of those state coins. Way to go!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Neil. :thumbsup: You are in a great place to find a lot of cool state coppers. :occasion14:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice, Neil. :thumbsup: You are in a great place to find a lot of cool state coppers. :occasion14:
Ironically it took me more than 10 years and hundreds of large coppers before I got this one, my first positively identifiable state copper. I have a few suspected ones, but they're too far gone to be sure!

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the 7 in the date seems higher and closer to the 23, but looks like what appears to be the end of the die crack. So I guess one is obviously not what it appears. If anyone can say, I would agree with the answer.

Attachments

• IMG_00001357ag.jpg
    IMG_00001357ag.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add my 2 cents in, the borders of the shield are very distinctive on the Ryder 21 reverse R. I had to figure out where I was going to find a photo of and early die state R.21....duh....Tony Carlotto's book would have it. It did. It's one of those books you should have if you have an interest in Vermonts. If you want to see some beauties of this variety, pull out the Ford collection sale 1, sold by Stack's 10/14/2003. By the way Neil, for your first state copper, you found a good one. As an early die state example of this variety I wouldn't be surprised if it's 5-10 times rarer than a late die state. There are also many collectors of colonial coins who collect by die state.

ryder 21 early die state.jpg

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread