1st time metal detecting - can rocks set off detectors?

Kreebo

Nov 9, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my first day metal detecting and found this metallic rock. I was wondering what rocks set it off. Just trying to see if I can narrow down the list to identify this find. I’m in the middle TN region. 5A408D1D-7A1D-4B09-A31D-5AB96BC30E4C.jpeg 026D69E0-D14F-44ED-86C6-BC4CBB48DAD7.jpeg

Upvote 0

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could be just a glob of melted steel.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, electricly conductive rocks can trigger a detector. They are called "hot rocks".

They are -thank good- rare in my little part of the world, its mostly alluvial soil here. I do have some lying around somewhere, though (mostly green = nice grade copper ore).

Around older homes you ll have to fight also coke/coal which kick the detector off (though these tend to have a unique signature, allowing to walk over them).

The stuff in question looks like slowtakon said, rather more than something melted (iron, alu) or slag than a natural rock.

And welcome to T-net!

Greets

Namxat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing an aluminum wad, and yes rocks can set off metal detectors. With some usage, you'll be able to tell the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread