What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
How great is finding a old cache of coins,simply amazing!!!
 
Ha, wow that's insane. Very sweet, congrats. You just never know huh. HH!
 
great finds congrats :icon_pirat:
 
Hey Johnny , That coin find is what we all dream of finding ! How unusual that the purse full of coins

could sit where it fell nearly 90 years ago, and just keep sinking . I've had my eye on some strips of grass

in the older part town and your find encourages me to go check them out . Congrats !!! Gregory, Santa Fe.
 
man, that had to be an unbelievable feeling when you saw all of those coins in that hole. i hope that happens for me one day. congrats. keep at it.
 
That is just awesome! I would be speechless if I were you, that is just an awesome find! A super big congrats on that cache and hope you find many more like it!

:thumbsup:

Greg
 
Now this is a cool thread, that is a nice view of all of those coins in the dirt. How much better can it get. Good job and great hunt. :thumbsup:
 
Thats great.......I bet your heart was pounding!
 

Welcome to the club Brother
 

Attachments

  • PC291064.webp
    PC291064.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 6,882
  • PC291064.webp
    PC291064.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 6,883
What a great post JR!!! :thumbsup: That is so cool. Awesome find. Love that Barber half. :icon_king:
Congrats to you,
MM
 
Thanx for the good words everyone. I was truly lucky to find these. The 8in coil that I'm getting is made by minelab and I think it will help in the trashy areas. 8)
 
Man, that's the mother load if I've ever saw it. Fantastic!
 
Spectacular find, congratulations to you:thumbsup: that's awesome. What a nice cache of old coins WTG!
Glenn
 
Wow, what a find! Congratulations ;D

I am buying an 8" Sunray this weekend but my dealer is really trying to talk me into the 5" Sunray instead. I wonder what 85 cents would have bought you back in 1920 :)
 
Very nice, congrats
 
Way to Go Johnny!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats a way cool find! Not only is it really a great bunch of coins but just thinking about how it came to be is very interesting, someone was not a happy camper that day when they had realized that they had lost thier coin purse as that had to have been alot of money to loose back in those days!Thier loss is yours and now our gain!


HH
Slipperyjack
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom