What's new

28 coins in the same hole and the newest one is a 1920!!!

Johnny Ringo Silver

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
885
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Location
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I was hunting more of the yard that I found the indian and merc in the other day and wasnt having much luck. I figured I would give it another half an hour and then head home to wait on my 8in coil that was to be delivered by ups. As I was walking to my car, I was working the strip between the sidewalk and the road when I got a good penny/dime signal that was reading about 6in deep. I thought it would be nice to at least dig a wheatie before going home and so I cut my plug. When I pull a plug on a target deeper than 5in, the target is usually still in the hole and I have to dig more dirt out of the hole to get to it. So I dug down to about 7in and pulled the dirt out of the hole and put it on my dropcloth. As I was reaching back into the hole to retrieve the rest of the loose dirt, I noticed a penny laying in the spoil pile and then realized there was about 6 of them that I could see! All I could think is "Man these better not be memorials" and picked one of them up to see what I had going. The penny that I picked up was dirty but I could tell that it was a wheatie. I finished cleaning the rest of the dirt out of the hole and soon seen about 6 or 7 more of them in that handfull. At this point I was totally freaking out thinking that I might be digging up a roll of wheaties or something.
I took my sunray and rechecked the bottom of the hole and I was still getting signals down at 8in. I took my digger and cut out a smaller plug at the bottom of my hole as to get the rest of the dirt broke up. As I was pulling the loose soil out of the hole I noticed a big silver laying in my hand with some more pennies. I stopped and gathered up all the coins that I had found and placed them on my clean cloth and promptly filled my hole and called it a day without even knowing the age of or total of my finds. I told myself to wait until getting home to look at what I had!
Once I got home and laid everything out, I could tell that I had a total of
25 pennies, 2 V-nickels, and a barber half. Later while cleaning the coins, I realized that there was 3 indian heads mixed up with all the wheaties and the newest coin being a 1920. Earlier while collecting all of the coins out of the hole, I noticed small pieces of iron and kept the ones I found thinking it was part of whatever held these coins over 85 years ago.
Being that these coins were protected for sometime inside whatever kind of container or pouch until it deteriorated and that they were all laying against eachother, alot of these only took minimal cleaning and most ended up looking pretty nice after some soaking and scrubbing with a plastic bristled brush along with a dremel brush and polisher. This is the biggest group of coins that I have ever found in one hole and to have a barber half in the mix along with two V-nickels made it simply awesome in my book!
The total rundown of all the coins is as follows:
1900-S Barber half
1906, and 1910 V-nickels
1896, 1901, and 1903 Indian head cents
Wheaties were: 1-1911
1-1913-D
4-1916's
1-1916-S
2-1918's
2-1919's
1-1919-S
4-1919-D's
5-1920's
1-1920-D
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1202.webp
    IMG_1202.webp
    39 KB · Views: 8,066
  • IMG_1198.webp
    IMG_1198.webp
    79.5 KB · Views: 8,028
  • IMG_1206.webp
    IMG_1206.webp
    60 KB · Views: 7,992
Upvote 0
Congrats to ya Johnny! What a great find..I've always wondered how something like a coin purse or container of coins could get buried without someone seeing it first..fate brought the treasure to you! Just looking at the pics gave me a rush!

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat
 
wagbert said:
Woo-Hoo!! Nice finds. Around 1920, that bunch of coins represented an hour's pay. You've got some coins with mint marks too. I know those are worth more than face value.
wagbert
In 1920 in my area of Missouri, 75 cents was a "DAYS" pay not an hour. Good dig man. You will hit a good one every now and then.

Les
 
Wow Johnny! Excellent recovery....I think we would all love to find a cache like that....
Great find....
 
You found a cache! this is the one of the best coin finds. Major Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Why is this still not on the banner I suggested it this early A.M.

maybe they need to hear from more of you. Just click on report to the moderator and tell them you think this should be a banner find. :thumbsup:
 
VERY, VERY, VERY, COOL!!!!
Are ya sure you got everything?
Congrats!!!
 
That's a nice pocket johnny.

How do you think the dfx stacks up to the se. I was thinking about getting one at some point. I find alot with the dfx. Wonder if I would do as well better or worse. Hate to change when things are good. But I wanna make sure I'm getting the most out of the hobby.

HH Jer
 
That is an awesome story! The coins are in pretty good shape, especially the Liberty Nickels! Congrats! :hello2:
 
The Buzzard King said:
VERY, VERY, VERY, COOL!!!!
Are ya sure you got everything?
Congrats!!!

I was wondering the same think you got it all? Awesome find, indeed a lot of money back then. Does look like the remains of an old change purse. Congrats on your wonderful discovery. TY for sharing it
 
That's banner material in my book. The detail of the coins are fantastic!!! WTG!!! Only in my dreams I have found caches like yours. A dream come true for you.
 
Holy cow! That is inspirational. Thanks for sharing it.
 
Yikes!!!!

I get excited finding 2 clad coins in a hole. Hope I'm able to make it through the day at work?

Great Find!
Mike
 
Sweet...you lucky dog!
 
I have three statements to make here..........

1) AWESOME!

2) IT COULD ONLY GET MORE AWESOME IF YOU CAUGHT IT ON VIDEO

3) BANNER!

Congrats Johnny!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom