What's new

3rd strange object needs i.d.

carlee02

Greenie
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Ok. My son and I found another strange object that we cannot identify. The pictures are in this order: the top, the side, and the bottom.
Any ideas?

Thank you all again for your help and making us "newbies" feel so welcome!
 

Attachments

  • tool4.webp
    tool4.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 440
  • tool5.webp
    tool5.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 419
  • tool6.webp
    tool6.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 418
bigcypresshunter said:
Hello Carlee02,

I also think its a smashed top of a can.

If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear


Here is a photo tutorial to help you through that process.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,259097.0.html

Thanks! We'll do!
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
vayank54 said:
Sorry I couldn't tell you it was something rare and valuable . Getting the junk out of the way makes it easier to find the good stuff though.



It can happen!

True story.... a friend of mine was on an old site just off the highway and signals were getting very thin so he decided to try his luck in the ditch. His 1st target was a pop can, 2nd also a pop can, 3rd was a license plate, 4th a pop can (how many give up and leave at this point?) ....and the 5th target was a $5,000 belt plate.

Was that Romeo's artillery plate? :o
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
vayank54 said:
Sorry I couldn't tell you it was something rare and valuable . Getting the junk out of the way makes it easier to find the good stuff though.



It can happen!

True story.... a friend of mine was on an old site just off the highway and signals were getting very thin so he decided to try his luck in the ditch. His 1st target was a pop can, 2nd also a pop can, 3rd was a license plate, 4th a pop can (how many give up and leave at this point?) ....and the 5th target was a $5,000 belt plate.

Was that Romeo's artillery plate? :o


Nope. Was found about 7 years ago, a beautiful dug 1812 period plate.

A little more of the story.... These guys were jewelry hunters and one being a relative of my bud the Cladman they came over for a relic hunt. Both enjoyed it, and decided to buy explorers and start hunting old sites. The day they left here I told them all they had to do was put in the time and they'd soon pass us for quality military finds because of there location, as I was familiar with what was being found having another friend there. Anywhere, it was a short time later and Ironhorse and myself were out digging our usual scraps and when I got home I had a relic ID email. Of course it was the plate, imagine a find like that and needing to find out what it was. :-\ Now here's the kicker... he found a perfect 1812 regt. marked crossbelt plate before he dug a single military button! I on the other hand have lost track of how many early buttons I've found but do you think I could find a marked plate. Nope! That's the thing about this hobby, you can do all the research you want, and get your detector skills to a very high level, but when you're talking a single find anyone can dig it. Yeah his plate rocks but over all I'm still well ahead for the big picture. (but if he hunted as much it might not be that way)
 
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
vayank54 said:
Sorry I couldn't tell you it was something rare and valuable . Getting the junk out of the way makes it easier to find the good stuff though.



It can happen!

True story.... a friend of mine was on an old site just off the highway and signals were getting very thin so he decided to try his luck in the ditch. His 1st target was a pop can, 2nd also a pop can, 3rd was a license plate, 4th a pop can (how many give up and leave at this point?) ....and the 5th target was a $5,000 belt plate.

Was that Romeo's artillery plate? :o


Nope. Was found about 7 years ago, a beautiful dug 1812 period plate.

A little more of the story.... These guys were jewelry hunters and one being a relative of my bud the Cladman they came over for a relic hunt. Both enjoyed it, and decided to buy explorers and start hunting old sites. The day they left here I told them all they had to do was put in the time and they'd soon pass us for quality military finds because of there location, as I was familiar with what was being found having another friend there. Anywhere, it was a short time later and Ironhorse and myself were out digging our usual scraps and when I got home I had a relic ID email. Of course it was the plate, imagine a find like that and needing to find out what it was. :-\ Now here's the kicker... he found a perfect 1812 regt. marked crossbelt plate before he dug a single military button! I on the other hand have lost track of how many early buttons I've found but do you think I could find a marked plate. Nope! That's the thing about this hobby, you can do all the research you want, and get your detector skills to a very high level, but when you're talking a single find anyone can dig it. Yeah his plate rocks but over all I'm still well ahead for the big picture. (but if he hunted as much it might not be that way)

That may be true, but I remain convinced that better researchers and more skilled users will consistently make better finds. The reason my team and I do so well in an area as new as this is because of both. If some Joe walked out in a Kentucky field and dug a CSA plate or a gold coin it wouldn't bother me. Perseverance, sweat, passion, creativity, and skill will consistently beat luck if given enough time. That's not to say that I would've ever found that CSA plate or that gold coin--but I would rather dig Many higher quality finds rather than just the one lucky one. Besides, if I didn't have faith in my research method and detector skills, what would there be for me to have faith in?

-Buck
 
Upvote 0
carlee, your find is brass so your machine is working fine. Found many like it.
I clean all my old brass enough to see the markings and if it's not worth much
I give it a good drill/brushing and save to sell later. In fact that's what I have
been doing this winter in sunlit doorway.
 
Upvote 0
I took another look at your 'thingy' and I believe it's a thermostat for an auto.
Could be either brass or galvanized tin. Do a scratch test to see. I keep the
tin only if I can find a use for it. I make decorative metal art from my finds.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:
vayank54 said:
Sorry I couldn't tell you it was something rare and valuable . Getting the junk out of the way makes it easier to find the good stuff though.



It can happen!

True story.... a friend of mine was on an old site just off the highway and signals were getting very thin so he decided to try his luck in the ditch. His 1st target was a pop can, 2nd also a pop can, 3rd was a license plate, 4th a pop can (how many give up and leave at this point?) ....and the 5th target was a $5,000 belt plate.

Was that Romeo's artillery plate? :o


Nope. Was found about 7 years ago, a beautiful dug 1812 period plate.

A little more of the story.... These guys were jewelry hunters and one being a relative of my bud the Cladman they came over for a relic hunt. Both enjoyed it, and decided to buy explorers and start hunting old sites. The day they left here I told them all they had to do was put in the time and they'd soon pass us for quality military finds because of there location, as I was familiar with what was being found having another friend there. Anywhere, it was a short time later and Ironhorse and myself were out digging our usual scraps and when I got home I had a relic ID email. Of course it was the plate, imagine a find like that and needing to find out what it was. :-\ Now here's the kicker... he found a perfect 1812 regt. marked crossbelt plate before he dug a single military button! I on the other hand have lost track of how many early buttons I've found but do you think I could find a marked plate. Nope! That's the thing about this hobby, you can do all the research you want, and get your detector skills to a very high level, but when you're talking a single find anyone can dig it. Yeah his plate rocks but over all I'm still well ahead for the big picture. (but if he hunted as much it might not be that way)

That may be true, but I remain convinced that better researchers and more skilled users will consistently make better finds. The reason my team and I do so well in an area as new as this is because of both. If some Joe walked out in a Kentucky field and dug a CSA plate or a gold coin it wouldn't bother me. Perseverance, sweat, passion, creativity, and skill will consistently beat luck if given enough time. That's not to say that I would've ever found that CSA plate or that gold coin--but I would rather dig Many higher quality finds rather than just the one lucky one. Besides, if I didn't have faith in my research method and detector skills, what would there be for me to have faith in?

-Buck


Of course the better and more things you do will give you more success in the long run, but one find can be the game changer. About 6 years ago I was hunting with someone and found most of the hot spots and dug many more targets over the hunt. About half way through the day the guy I was digging with tried the shoreline in front of the site but soon gave up on it. I knew there had to be at least some good targets close to the water so after I finished the little site I had found on land I made my way to the shore. Right away I started finding old targets so called him down to say it was well worth swinging. By this point it was close to the end of the day and one of the last targets he found was one of the best musket escutcheon plates I had ever seen. So no matter what had happened to that point, and regardless how many targets I had found, that one random gun part was by far the keeper for the day. However....

It's better to be lucky than good, but luck won't last forever, but being good will! It's all a numbers game and the more targets you dig over all, the more you will find. You might not see the proof over 1 hunt, 1 week, a month, or a year, but when you look at a lifetime of digging the guy who out dug his competition 2-1 for non ferrous targets will have the better collection of quality finds.
 
Upvote 0
lastleg said:
carlee, your find is brass so your machine is working fine. Found many like it.
lastleg said:
I took another look at your 'thingy' and I believe it's a thermostat for an auto.
Could be either brass or galvanized tin. Do a scratch test to see.

I disagree with both of these statements. Test it with a magnet.

This has already been solved.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom