What's new

A fishing tool?

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this while fishing at the power company forebay, above the middle fork of the Stanislaus. What is it? My guess, a homemade tool to "pick apart" line knots. Tnx. TTC
 

Attachments

  • DSC00060.webp
    DSC00060.webp
    126 KB · Views: 775
A have one like it but much larger. Maybe its a soil probe? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
It could be one of two things, its either a tool for tying nail knots for fly fishermen, or, its for threading bait onto a hook. It would be used for minnows or night crawlers.
 
Upvote 0
you thread a night crawler on it then put the hook in the end to thread the worm up on the line
 
Upvote 0
it looks like the letter J and the 1st thing the fish bites is the hook :read2:
 
Upvote 0
Soil probe? Probably not. I have two of those and they are much more stout. "Bait threader"? I think not. Seems I remember the tool may have been used to tie nail knots, as Yeller suggests. I used to tie flies and build fly rods years ago. I never used such a tool but do remember their use. Yes. Nail knot tool. Tnx Yeller... and all for the replies. TTC
 
Upvote 0
Yep!!Worm threader!!

Terry,I am going to give away a little secret of mine......below that Forebay,near where you park(you will see remnants of a foundation of sorts)was a camp for when they were putting in that pipe down the canyon....detect that area,I pulled several Religious Medallions and a bunch of silver(Early 1900's)
 
Upvote 0
"Bait needle" we call them in Europe. Used in carp fishing here. I have a few of them.
 
Upvote 0
Dano Sverige said:
"Bait needle" we call them in Europe. Used in carp fishing here. I have a few of them.

I love Bowfishing for carp
 
Upvote 0
Good work, guys! A bait threader! AA saves the day! Isn't it supposed to have a "hook" or something on the end? Tnx, Kuger, for the tip. I will check it out! TTC
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
Dano Sverige said:
"Bait needle" we call them in Europe. Used in carp fishing here. I have a few of them.

I love Bowfishing for carp
Savage :laughing7:

SS
Shux Colin...your the only Brit I could rile??? :dontknow: :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Give it a go Terry....people are probably sayin,"well it isnt much of a secret now?",well yea,actually it is,cause if somebody is willing to go up there then they earn it!!!!I know I have said it before but there is some real "different",people in dem parts.Take your partners Smith & Wesson
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
Dano Sverige said:
"Bait needle" we call them in Europe. Used in carp fishing here. I have a few of them.

I love Bowfishing for carp
Savage :laughing7:

SS
Shux Colin...your the only Brit I could rile??? :dontknow: :laughing7:
Over hear Carp are the Gods of the fishing world, a typical Carp set up would cost over £2000, anglers often spend months at the water in pursuit of them....I know they are a pest over there, and in Australia :-\

SS :wink:
 

Attachments

  • 1307487609-22.webp
    1307487609-22.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 534
Upvote 0
You are absolutely correct S.S.,crazy the difference in attitude toward them here vs. there.Given the millions of $ Bass fishing produces here,anything that threatens that is "taboo".We arent out to "wipe em",out,(that would impossible)just to control there numbers as not many people fish for them.We utilize what we take as well.

I am quite familiar with that picture,you posted.What a fish!!A freind just took one here(U.S.) that was 67 lbs,looks like #2 in the nation??
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
You are absolutely correct S.S.,crazy the difference in attitude toward them here vs. there.Given the millions of $ Bass fishing produces here,anything that threatens that is "taboo".We arent out to "wipe em",out,(that would impossible)just to control there numbers as not many people fish for them.We utilize what we take as well.

I am quite familiar with that picture,you posted.What a fish!!A freind just took one here(U.S.) that was 67 lbs,looks like #2 in the nation??
Most of the Big Carp in the UK are imported fish, but there a few home grown biggies, the potential of Carp on the Continent is massive, UK anglers head for France and Spain in there droves in persuit of the Monsters...and pay a lot of money for the privilege :o

The UK record for carp was 61lb for a carp nicknamed two tone(now dead)....another crazy thing about carp that I personely couldn't stand, the naming of different fish ::)

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
You are absolutely correct S.S.,crazy the difference in attitude toward them here vs. there.Given the millions of $ Bass fishing produces here,anything that threatens that is "taboo".We arent out to "wipe em",out,(that would impossible)just to control there numbers as not many people fish for them.We utilize what we take as well.

I am quite familiar with that picture,you posted.What a fish!!A freind just took one here(U.S.) that was 67 lbs,looks like #2 in the nation??
Most of the Big Carp in the UK are imported fish, but there a few home grown biggies, the potential of Carp on the Continent is massive, UK anglers head for France and Spain in there droves in persuit of the Monsters...and pay a lot of money for the privilege :o

The UK record for carp was 61lb for a carp nicknamed two tone(now dead)....another crazy thing about carp that I personely couldn't stand, the naming of different fish ::)

SS

:laughing7:To each his own I guess?I know they also sell little "after the catch care kits",and its catch and release...some of those fish have been caught hundreds of times!I do like fighting one on a line and pole but I just dont have the patience anymore
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
You are absolutely correct S.S.,crazy the difference in attitude toward them here vs. there.Given the millions of $ Bass fishing produces here,anything that threatens that is "taboo".We arent out to "wipe em",out,(that would impossible)just to control there numbers as not many people fish for them.We utilize what we take as well.

I am quite familiar with that picture,you posted.What a fish!!A freind just took one here(U.S.) that was 67 lbs,looks like #2 in the nation??
Most of the Big Carp in the UK are imported fish, but there a few home grown biggies, the potential of Carp on the Continent is massive, UK anglers head for France and Spain in there droves in persuit of the Monsters...and pay a lot of money for the privilege :o

The UK record for carp was 61lb for a carp nicknamed two tone(now dead)....another crazy thing about carp that I personely couldn't stand, the naming of different fish ::)

SS

:laughing7:To each his own I guess?I know they also sell little "after the catch care kits",and its catch and release...some of those fish have been caught hundreds of times!I do like fighting one on a line and pole but I just dont have the patience anymore
Yea me to :-\ I'm chasing a double figure Barbell at the moment, from my local River... the Tees.

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
You are absolutely correct S.S.,crazy the difference in attitude toward them here vs. there.Given the millions of $ Bass fishing produces here,anything that threatens that is "taboo".We arent out to "wipe em",out,(that would impossible)just to control there numbers as not many people fish for them.We utilize what we take as well.

I am quite familiar with that picture,you posted.What a fish!!A freind just took one here(U.S.) that was 67 lbs,looks like #2 in the nation??
Most of the Big Carp in the UK are imported fish, but there a few home grown biggies, the potential of Carp on the Continent is massive, UK anglers head for France and Spain in there droves in persuit of the Monsters...and pay a lot of money for the privilege :o

The UK record for carp was 61lb for a carp nicknamed two tone(now dead)....another crazy thing about carp that I personely couldn't stand, the naming of different fish ::)

SS

:laughing7:To each his own I guess?I know they also sell little "after the catch care kits",and its catch and release...some of those fish have been caught hundreds of times!I do like fighting one on a line and pole but I just dont have the patience anymore
Yea me to :-\ I'm chasing a double figure Barbell at the moment, from my local River... the Tees.

SS

:thumbsup:Good luck bud!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom