A good entry level detector??

terry is one sided
when will he learn theirs more detectors out there than the one he posts
I would look in too a white's detector
you won't go wrong they make 18 of them so you have a lot to choose from
I would stay a way from any that are made by" you got it"... first Texas instruments the ace 2 fiddy will eat battery like there candy I was told.....

Hey Liftloop, I talked about - Five Different Brands. I did not bash any brands, or promote one over the other (like you have). What was one-sided about that?

Here's a test. I believe the sky is blue Lift, how about you?

Lots of good info here, from guys who detect a lot. I was so impatient when I started I bought the first machine I saw. It was a good machine and I still have it. I wanted features. I did not want to dig trash. I wanted depth. My next purchase was a slightly used F75 which is everything I could want in a detector. I have spent the time and still learning things about it. It is a single freq machine that makes my hunts a lot more fun. You have been told about several good machines, and its not so much the machine, as it is the operator. Look at where you are going to hunt. Im looking at a minelab and a garret for my next purchases. I hunt a lot of different places. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

terry put a white's add in there
show-m a real detector

First and foremost, you must have this.......

Once you have this it doesn't matter what detector you get.

Cheers,
Dave.

yea a lot of dudes and dudettes get a chinese crapper 2013. These can detect a tank at 100 feet but coins at 0 inchs. Others like pancakes or pizza's

After doing some research this past week, I have narrowed it down to either the Garrett AT Pro, or the Minelab x-terra 705. They both seem to be very popular models, kinda like the Ford f-150 and the Chevy 1500 of metal detectors. I am leaning more toward the AT Pro, the price is a little more friendly and they are American made. I believe the Minelab is made in Malaysia. If my purchase helps an American get another weekly paycheck, than I prefer that route. Now I have to decide on where to buy. I have checked out several of the sponsors websites, and I will definitely be buying from one of them. Thanks again all for your suggestions. I can't wait to get one and get searching. I am already researching some nearby historical sites. I live on a family farm, one field on our farm used to be a baseball field in the late 1800s and early 1900s. That might be a fun spot to start.

Have you tried a White's machine (MXT or M6) next to a Minelab? Husband likes Minelab, I like White's platform. I don't like listening to a constant "tone" like the Minelab (E-Trac) has, I prefer that the White's (Coinmaster and M6) beep when you find a target.

Best pieces of advice I was given when I first started detecting: dig every target as sometimes the machines are fooled! If you dig a piece of trash (pull tab, etc) take it with you so you won't detect it the next time you are at that site. Also fill all your holes.

Good luck with your purchase!

HH,
Anita

i have done a bunch of research and it seems everyone is going with garrett or whites. Well for me personally i just ordered a Garrett ace 250 because of the price. But, if you have that price range i would look into a garret at pro. If you ever do any water hunting it can also go down to 10 feet of water.

One thing to do is read the operator's manuals. They will give you info you will not get in ads. Also seriously evaluate how much time you think you'll spend MDing. You might have a $1,000 to spend. But if you'll only be able to spend 10 hours a year in the field, then you might not be making the best purchase by spending those big bucks.

Thanks so much for the last two replies. After reading Aus3 comment regarding the Ace 250, I resaerched that detector further to find that it, or the 350, might be a better starting point. I agree that only detecting 10 hours a year doesn't warrant spending twice the money. Perhaps an Ace 350 bundle for around $300 would be a better starting point to see just how much I can and will use the detector. I do tend to sometimes jump with two feet into new hobbies without first putting the hours in. Plus, I hunt and fish and clam/crab, and have three young boys and a wife who doesn't always tolerate my full day excursions away from home (sound of a whip snapping). Probably best that I buy one of the Aces and play with it for a year, if I become obsessed, then move up to a more sophisticated machine. Thanks for the help guys. now.... Do I go with the Ace 250 or 350??

I have purchased a Garrett AT PRO ($600.00) and have had no issues with it at all. It's a great detector. I used it in the beaches of Florida and with it being able to go under water (up to 10 feet) I have found some great things.
Good Luck and Have Fun

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the last two replies. After reading Aus3 comment regarding the Ace 250, I resaerched that detector further to find that it, or the 350, might be a better starting point. I agree that only detecting 10 hours a year doesn't warrant spending twice the money. Perhaps an Ace 350 bundle for around $300 would be a better starting point to see just how much I can and will use the detector. I do tend to sometimes jump with two feet into new hobbies without first putting the hours in. Plus, I hunt and fish and clam/crab, and have three young boys and a wife who doesn't always tolerate my full day excursions away from home (sound of a whip snapping). Probably best that I buy one of the Aces and play with it for a year, if I become obsessed, then move up to a more sophisticated machine. Thanks for the help guys. now.... Do I go with the Ace 250 or 350??

Personally I hated the 250 I owned. Between the two I'd go with the 350-more features and a larger coil.

Get the At-Pro! don't bother with the ace machines. One slip and it goes underwater and it's done!

I thought the Ace 350 has a submersible coil? If I enjoy the Ace, ill. move up to the AT Pro. I don't want to be the guy whos never hunted before and decides to buy a Browning over and under as his first shotgun. I will start with a Mossburg pump and see how much I enjoy it first.

I thought the Ace 350 has a submersible coil? If I enjoy the Ace, ill. move up to the AT Pro. I don't want to be the guy whos never hunted before and decides to buy a Browning over and under as his first shotgun. I will start with a Mossburg pump and see how much I enjoy it first.

Up to you, I was just responding...

Yes the Mossburg pump will do the job, But there is so much more pleasure in using a Benelli M3 super 90 that shoots pump or semiauto. Get the point?
Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

I want a detector that can distinguish precious metals from ferrous and aluminum, and I don't want to break the bank.
Regards,
Brian

If any detector always separated aluminum/pull tabs from gold and silver...they'd have the market cornered. I've had aluminum discriminate out at around 5-6 and I've had aluminum giving a nice bright signal at max discrimination.

One question is have you had a chance to use/borrow your buddy's machine. Nothing like getting a little first hand experience before making a purchase. One thing you'll want to do is read the operator's manuals. You'll get lots of info you won't get in ads.

I heard that the Garrett AT Gold comes with a metal detecting glossary so not only can you find the treasure like the Pro's on Diggers, you can sound like them too!!!!

Please shoot me if I ever scream "I got roundness in the hole baby!"

You might hear us say "honey hole", or "coin patch" - but "nectar sector"... sorry, NEVER!

to the op:
Any VLF detector in the $4-800 range will be powerful enough without being overly complicated. The xterra, safari, ATpro/gold, would be fine entry-intermediate machines. As you get aquainted with your machine, you'll be able to "tell" when you've hit aluminum/junk - believe me there's nothing like experience. Going deep is also way overrated. You'll agree after digging deep small trash a few thousand times.

Keep in mind that while PI machines can go deep, they do not discriminate. Most detectorists carry both types so they can adjust to conditions on the fly. You'll definately need both if you plan on prospectiing.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back