What's new

A merc, but in supreme condition!

digger27

Bronze Member
Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
1,509
Reaction score
3,226
Golden Thread
0
Considering this thing had to have been dropped not long after it was born and has been taking a dirt nap for 97 years I gotta say this thing is amazing.
Found in a little woodsy part of my local park, an out of the way area where I also found 1925 and 1919 wheaties.
I think this area needs to be explored and examined better....duuuh!

Finding any silver coin is great, finding older types even better but to find something like this that is old and in this condition is...special!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20160523_071221.webp
    IMG_20160523_071221.webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20160523_071507.webp
    IMG_20160523_071507.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 72
Hey Doc! I assume Yankee (Northern) Virginia for your location. Down here all we have is red necks! We weren't worth conquest and the overrun.....
 
Absolutely beautiful! :occasion14:
 
That's an awesome Merc!!
 
Sweet merc!! Looks like it came straight from the mint.
 
there is some awesome detail in that coin. And you hit the emotion just right: hibernating for 97 years until moi' comes along. It's a special moment of discovery. Congrats!
 
They look like Full Split Bands to me.
If PCGS or NGC grades that coin, they will in all probability attach an Environmentally Damaged Label to it. I have found a few mint state coins over the years. I have no intention of selling any of my coins.
Once a coin is tagged "Environmental Damage" it is worth about 10% of the Yeoman's Red Book price.
Congrats on finding a beautiful coin
 
Last edited:
Yep, I will start with a trip to the coin shop and go from there but I don't have any plans on selling it no matter how things turn out.
It will look great on display for sure.
 
That is in very good shape!, heck of a find!
 
Absolutely amazing! I love Mercs and never get sick of finding them, never found one that great! Congrats and HH
 
Congratz! You can't find them in much better shape than that!
 
They look like Full Split Bands to me.
If PCGS or NGC grades that coin, they will in all probability attach an Environmentally Damaged Label to it. I have found a few mint state coins over the years. I have no intention of selling any of my coins.
Once a coin is tagged "Environmental Damage" it is worth about 10% of the Yeoman's Red Book price.
Congrats on finding a beautiful coin

X2. I didn't have the heart to say it. And what AGW means is, looks at the surface real close and you'll see small pock marks from the soil. That said, it went in the dirt mint.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom