Ancient coin ? (Updated! more pics)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I found this coin while metal detecting when I was a kid. I thought it was fake until I brought it to a coin show and a dealer said it was not necessarily fake. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?
php9JAAsQPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,277
  • php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,411
  • phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,380
  • phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,239
Thanks for everyones time, effort and interest on this! But yet it is still a little bit of a mystery.

Thanks for looking everyone!

Upvote 0
history hunter said:
Thanks for everyones time, effort and interest on this! But yet it is still a little bit of a mystery.

Thanks for looking everyone!

As others have said, you have a named object after your location. I have only found 1 item named after my Town & its a very special thing in anyones Detecting career :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
SWR said:
Hum...I agree with the 'excellent' find, but do not classify this as an 'important find' in regards to numismatics. It is/was a fantasy coin from conception to manufacture. The actual use is elusive, and the true mystery. :icon_scratch:

Still not solved and the green check not yet called. Early in this thread bigcypresshunter posted a product line with a very similar design. Coin replica of each product differed slightly. I'm still leaning towards letter opener product. How many pieces of bracelet coin inserts from the early Sears catalog do we find or can produce pictures/links?

Upvote 0
How many letter openers or bracelets would you snap a piece off,drill a hole in,and wear on a necklace? Granted as it's "quarter" size,feasibly it could have started out life dangling from a bracelet,but i'm more inclined to think it was either a necklace pendant,or made into one from a coin.

Upvote 0
Dano Sverige said:
How many letter openers or bracelets would you snap a piece off,drill a hole in,and wear on a necklace? Granted as it's "quarter" size,feasibly it could have started out life dangling from a bracelet,but i'm more inclined to think it was either a necklace pendant,or made into one from a coin.

agreed.

Upvote 0
Well you guys got a good point. The letter opener design would also have been designed a way where both sides of the coin would be shown. A poor design and why they all got lost ;D

The brass ring was added later as the Arkansas coin doesn't have a hole, but could still be from necklace or other jewelry.

Would never have thought of this possible origin. An early 1900's promotinal bicycle medal:

http://www.zonefinds.com/catalog.html

Attachments

• 1502.gif
    1502.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
Re: Ancient coin ?

Dano Sverige said:
That wasn't sarcasm my friend.Just me bowing to the wealth of superior knowledge and expertise.
No need to bow Dano LOL. Just remember those who called it. :hello:

Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
The brass ring was added later as the Arkansas coin doesn't have a hole, but could still be from necklace or other jewelry.

Would never have thought of this possible origin. An early 1900's promotinal bicycle medal:

http://www.zonefinds.com/catalog.html
Interesting link IS. This coin is a bit different but has the same tone. I wonder if we have roots on the back?

ancient bicycle giveaway coin.gif#1502 Beautiful Bicycle Medal, minted by Ed Strearns of Streans Hardware of Syracuse, New York. He mixed bicycle making and numismatics together to produce an advertising medal. Ed was the Henry Ford of Syracuse. Stearns was a collector and had little trouble transforming the design of a ancient greek coin into a promotional piece in the early 1900's. (copper luster) $90.00

Upvote 0
Its a great example of a 100 year old replica. This coin was one of the most widely copied.

I think its a mail order, turn-of-the century watch fob medallion. That explains it showing up in middle America.
It may even be in the large TOC Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog, like the other Farley coin in the middle of this page, 3rd row down. I dont have the complete original book.

Attachments

• MVC-037S.JPG
    MVC-037S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 265
  • MVC-036S.JPG
    MVC-036S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0
Don't know much about Ed Stearns and these promotional coins. More than one known or different kinds based bicycle purchased?

Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
Besides not being able to see the back, I don't see the writing on the right side :icon_scratch:

B

No not same coin, but did Ed Stearns make more than one kind :dontknow:

It's appearance very similar to HH's coin and time era in line with turn of the Century popular 'custom coin jewelry'.

Upvote 0
Just because a flat and round object with a familiar design was found in the ground, doesn't mean it's a coin, or valuable, and it's possible that an artisan made this for jewelry or for dress, using a similar designof a coin they where familiar with.

Upvote 0
Wow! That's the longest post I've ever read on a Forum while scrolling
left to right to read it.

Very cool to have so much discussion end with the coin acually being named.

Can anyone fix the wide photo that's causing the page to be so wide?

Upvote 0
Cheeserock said:

Shaun7 mentioned the wide page, but I see no problem :icon_scratch: must be your settings I guess

Upvote 0
Cheeserock said:

It will forever be known as THE WISCONSIN FARLEY COIN. :icon_thumright:

Its too wide for me as well. Could it be that the original poster (HistoryHunter) has a large screen?

Upvote 0
I went back to the first post and the page doesnt get too wide until the fourth page. ??? :icon_scratch:

Does anyone else have this problem?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back