Ancient coin ? (Updated! more pics)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I found this coin while metal detecting when I was a kid. I thought it was fake until I brought it to a coin show and a dealer said it was not necessarily fake. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?
php9JAAsQPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,274
  • php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,408
  • phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,377
  • phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,236

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
traderoftreasures said:
i use internet explorer no ad ons but i haven't had no troubles. and i have a wide screen. i have noticed somewhere that when the picture was in the text instead of normal photo location, it sometimes makes a differance.
You dont have a problem because you have a wide screen. Only those of us with smaller screens have trouble viewing. Looking back, I think it was you that caused the problem on page 4 in reply #317 by posting a wide photo. ;D :icon_thumright: 8) 8) 8) But its cool. 8) 8) ;D ;D

Maybe Im wrong but yours was the first photo to post on page 4. Cut it down or remove it and we will see if this theory is true. :) Better yet post it here on page 5 and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
traderoftreasures said:
i made the picture on page 4 smaller. did that help ? sorry about that....
It is smaller but it is very wide and I still cannot view the entire pic or page.

You dont need to say youre sorry for having a wide screen. I would be curious to see if you posted the same wide pic here on page 5 to prove my theory. We need to solve this soon because we are hijacking HHs thread.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK theory is proven!! LOL Page 5 is now too wide for my screen. So it was you all along lol. :D :D 8) 8)

I dont know what you can do to make the pic not so wide. :dontknow: I guess the rest of us need to buy larger screens.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Your pic on page 5 reply #317 is much smaller but it is posted in the middle of your screen. Can you move it to the left?

Dont worry Trader. 8) Im sure you are not the only person with a large screen. But if you can move it to the left somehow I think it would be better for us small screen folks.

Upvote 0

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
bigcypresshunter said:
Your pic on page 5 reply #317 is smaller but it is posted in the middle of your screen. Can you move it to the left?
All i did was hit the photo post button i don't know if you can move that ?? i reduced page 4 again did it help?? sorry about the hijacking of the fake looking coin post. :laughing7: ;D
first one was 973x256 71.2 kb
second was 584x167 27.8 kb
third was 419x109 21.9 kb

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
traderoftreasures said:
All i did was hit the photo post button i don't know if you can move that ?? i reduced page 4 again did it help?? sorry about the hijacking of the fake looking coin post. :laughing7: ;D
first one was 973x256 71.2 kb
second was 584x167 27.8 kb
third was 419x109 21.9 kb
No sorry reducing it does not help. For some reason your pic is to the right of my screen. It is probably center on yours. It is NOT your fault Trader, I dont think. It should be corrected by TN, I believe. Maybe someone else can help us. :help:

Upvote 0

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading this thread is making me dizzy - I used to purchase castings for a living and this "coin" screams "fake". It looks cast not struck. Can I give you definitive details as to why I feel that way - no. It is that I have looked at and studied casting of all sizes, shapes for years and it just says "casting" to me.

Sorry, I probably have no right to be giving my opinion on ancient anything, but, when I first saw it my mind said "cast".

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
We now have a Maine version, with a cropped flan.

Cool! Thanks mojjax!
Why would a Copy,(fake coin) be cropped(clipped), surely this was only done to real coins :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice link mojjax :icon_thumright: Now we know Mark Parker's take on the coin and that was without contacting him :D

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IronSpike said:
Nice link mojjax :icon_thumright: Now we know Mark Parker's take on the coin and that was without contacting him :D
And with out handling or studying it :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Silver Searcher said:
SWR said:

Cool! Thanks mojjax!
Why would a Copy,(fake coin) be cropped(clipped), surely this was only done to real coins :icon_scratch:

SS

It is quite possible the creator of these fantasy coins had the insight (or hindsight) on using various flans to facilitate their intentions.
I don't understand :icon_scratch: surely cropping(clipping) came after a coin was struck, or cast :icon_scratch:

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Silver Searcher said:
SWR said:
Silver Searcher said:
SWR said:

Cool! Thanks mojjax!

SS

It is quite possible the creator of these fantasy coins had the insight (or hindsight) on using various flans to facilitate their intentions.
I don't understand :icon_scratch: surely cropping(clipping) came after a coin was struck, or cast :icon_scratch:

SS

Ya think? You have a hand in on making these? :tongue3:
All I'm saying is that these people, who made these so called copy's, had the forsight not just to make a fantasy copy of a Ancient coin, but also, make a copy of a Ancient coin that has been cropped(clipped) very clever of them :D

SS

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
IronSpike said:

SS

Only pointing out that Mark Parker was suggested as an expert contact opinion :wink:

Would be very unlikely this many ancient coins would survive in this good condition and ONLY in America.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
IronSpike said:
Silver Searcher said:
IronSpike said:

SS

Only pointing out that Mark Parker was suggested as an expert contact opinion :wink:

Would be very unlikely this many ancient coins would survive in this good condition and ONLY in America.

Copy of a silver coin. Seems to echo the remarks made in this thread :thumbsup:
SWR...I like the intro on your aviator :wink:

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Silver Searcher said:
SWR said:
IronSpike said:
Silver Searcher said:
IronSpike said:

SS

Copy of a silver coin. Seems to echo the remarks made in this thread :thumbsup:
SWR...I like the intro on your aviator :wink:

SS

Me too. Is someone claiming this copy of a silver coin to be real? :icon_scratch:
Don't think so :wink: but a lot of people(incuding experts) have ID it to be fantasy, from a picture.....WoW talented or what :o :wink:

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread