Ancient coin ? (Updated! more pics)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I found this coin while metal detecting when I was a kid. I thought it was fake until I brought it to a coin show and a dealer said it was not necessarily fake. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?
php9JAAsQPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,273
  • php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,407
  • phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,376
  • phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,235

Tonytone1437

Nov 14, 2010
Delaware/Chadds Ford Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer ii, Fisher F70, XLT Spectrum, DFX300, Sovereign GT, Sovereign XS2a Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes its similar but there are many authentic coins that are similar to this Farley coin. Its doesnt make it a jetton.

But I guess its a possibility not considered before. Im more inclined to think fantasy coin with the fantasy writing, It screams fantasy. Maybe you could show this pic to the club expert.. thanks.
phpspcWJhPM.jpg phpspcWJhPM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The coins of Syracuse of the 3rd and 4th Century BC are amongst the most beautiful and are also exceedingly numerous and most copied. Stearns Hardware cast Syracuse tokens in 1899-1900 for advertising purposes. Many many companies mint modern variations. The jetton does have similarities. I would like to see the backside writing. The link may help. Here is the authentic version without the dangling roots I posted way back.. Authentic writing under the horse looks like this. The ancient coins were stamped. The Farley coins were made to look stamped but are cast with fantasy writing.

The Gloria Farley coins beleived to be 1900 era and cast to look stamped . We know this because the denticals are identical. This would not be possible with a stamped coin.. Are jettons made to look stamped? Are jetons commonly faked?

Attachments

• ancient siculo-punic 300BC.jpg
    ancient siculo-punic 300BC.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% modern copy... and i must say bad one :)

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Find, and interesting feedback everyone :thumbsup:

congrats again on your find History hunter :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was saying the Jetons we Found have only been Found in the US. Not even the Jeton EXPERT in France where they came from has ever seen them. And as far as the Coin that i posted. I clearly said that it is Very Similar i didnt say it was a match but it has alot of similarities.

What are you going on about. I have several 3-4 inch books on Jettons & this is not one. You need to find some better experts, as they are pretty clueless after 38 years - I will recommend them some expensive but good books if you want? I know more after 20. The one you pictured (I could spend time & ID if you wish?) is from Germany & not France. Both Britain & France were practically put out of business by the Germans.

Do you know what a Jetton was used for & why they would use them in the US? Even logic would say, they would have produced millions, just like all the other Jettons (based on there function).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(going back a few pages)- that professor that was quoted..he lives down the street from me (well...2 miles) - I worked with his daughter at Blockbuster video back around 2000...I crawled around under her barn looking for old bottles once...never met her dad.....Id like to pick his brain......

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
(going back a few pages)- that professor that was quoted..he lives down the street from me (well...2 miles) - I worked with his daughter at Blockbuster video back around 2000...I crawled around under her barn looking for old bottles once...never met her dad.....Id like to pick his brain......
He seems like a nice guy and I thanked him for his comments.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have emailed the seller to see a pic of the backside. View attachment 725391
Here is some info on the Stearns bicycle token. It appears to be different but I wouldnt be surprised if Stearns Hardware E. C. Stearns Bicycle Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia minted the Gloria Farley coin.. Stearns dekadrachm token

Stearns dekadrachm token
« on: May 16, 2009, 02:27:24 pm »

Not exactly a 'fake' but I don't know where to post this question:

In 1898, the Stearns Bicycle Co. in Syracuse NY issued an advertising token copying the Syracuse dekadrachm but bearing their company name in Greek and the date in Roman numerals. Recently, I have seen images of these in what is obviously bronze and what appears to be a white metal ('toned' dark). Are both 'original' or do we have fakes of fakes here? Does anyone know the history of these, how they were issued or where one might look for information?
I like this, Robinsons Fruit Drinks did this with a series K type 33 Saxon Sceat back in the 70's as part of a sales promotion, although these were marked as r1971 indicating that it was a reproduction. But this could explain the amount of Coins/ Fantasy/Tokens that History Hunter, and outhers have found, that have surfaced over the years.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this, Robinsons Fruit Drinks did this with a series K type 33 Saxon Sceat back in the 70's as part of a sales promotion, although these were marked as r1971 indicating that it was a reproduction. But this could explain the amount of Coins/ Fantasy/Tokens that History Hunter, and outhers have found, that have surfaced over the years.

UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS

interesting, that one would have made me skip a beat, if I dug it. These were given to kids so easily lost, a little like the shell tokens.

Upvote 0

Joseph Gilbert

Dec 10, 2012
Bigcypresshunter said:
Also the Farley coin is not a fake. Its an authentic token minted in America about 100 years ago. We just dont know why or by whom. I like the Stearn bicycle token idea. It needs follow up research. I just dont think its a jetton. Post the backside and we will take a look.

Its a long way back to page one so Im posting a Farley coin here. The coins found in America are the only variety with the dangling roots supposedly signifying a transplanted civilization. A similar authentic ancient Phoenician coin has the same horse and palm tree but without dangleing roots.

It looks Manoan to me except it doesn't have proper wear to it. Unless it was preserved in ideal spots

Upvote 0

ddt58

Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another Farley Coin?

I got this coin in an auction from Goodwill. The obverse is actually more attractive than the picture appears. Only paid $50 for it since I was assuming it was probably fake, but it was interesting. Then I found this thread.

I do have actual ancient Greek coins, so I can make a few partially educated observations. The coin appears to be bronze or similar, but may have had a gold wash at one time. The coin does not appear to be struck, as a real ancient would be, but the surfaces are very even, not porous like cast coins frequently are. The craftsmanship is excellent, and equivalent to the work on the original Siculo-Punic coins that it resembles. However, it is not an exact copy, as the lettering is different, and I did not see in any of my books or online any genuine coins any that have lettering behind the head of Persephone, for example. If the coin is original work, it is extraordinarily well done. Also, it is odd that there are so many varities given the number of Farley coins found. There are no tree roots on the palm tree on mine, for example. The geographic spread of the various finds is also puzzling. I would guess that some craftsman made these coins quite a few years ago, but why would be a mystery.

Attachments

• coin reverse.jpg
    coin reverse.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 106
  • coin obverse.jpg
    coin obverse.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this coin in an auction from Goodwill. The obverse is actually more attractive than the picture appears. Only paid $50 for it since I was assuming it was probably fake, but it was interesting. Then I found this thread.

I do have actual ancient Greek coins, so I can make a few partially educated observations. The coin appears to be bronze or similar, but may have had a gold wash at one time. The coin does not appear to be struck, as a real ancient would be, but the surfaces are very even, not porous like cast coins frequently are. The craftsmanship is excellent, and equivalent to the work on the original Siculo-Punic coins that it resembles. However, it is not an exact copy, as the lettering is different, and I did not see in any of my books or online any genuine coins any that have lettering behind the head of Persephone, for example. If the coin is original work, it is extraordinarily well done. Also, it is odd that there are so many varities given the number of Farley coins found. There are no tree roots on the palm tree on mine, for example. The geographic spread of the various finds is also puzzling. I would guess that some craftsman made these coins quite a few years ago, but why would be a mystery.
It's just a medallion, made to be worn, copied from a genuine Greek coin....and nothing more. This thread was a great thread from the good old days of TreasureNet.

SS

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In the old days of TreasureNet, we would have 10-20 replys to this token/medallion, and maybe 10 more pages of arguing. I agree that its a fantasy/copy variety of an ancient coin probably made in North America around the turn of the century maybe as a free giveaway or promotional piece.. As you stated, its not the dangling roots variety. I was only keeping tabs of the dangling roots/transplanted civilization types and labeling them by the state they were found in.. The "lettering" on your medallion screams fantasy and there were many copies made from this coin, and are still made today, although yours may be from a casting mould that we havent yet seen. I would have to search back.

Anything interesting and unusual, made in America 100 years ago, should have interest to collectors. I think $50 was a little high priced but if you can label it as a Farley Coin, it would possibly increase the value. There will always be those that believe these are from authentic Phoenician explorers but as more and more of these medallion/tokens are surfacing, that scenario seems unlikely and the value will go down. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Theory of Phoenician discovery of the Americas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice it says Marc "McMenamin later demonstrated that putative Carthaginian coins found in America were modern forgeries. [14]" No mention of the work we did here at Treasurenet.

For the record I doubt they are "forgeries". The correct word is fantasy and we proved it here at TN. Marc did state that he also found a shiny plated variety proving that it couldnt be Phoenician.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the old days of TreasureNet, we would have 10-20 replys to this token/medallion, and maybe 10 more pages of arguing. I agree that its a fantasy/copy variety of an ancient coin probably made in North America around the turn of the century maybe as a free giveaway or promotional piece.. As you stated, its not the dangling roots variety. I was only keeping tabs of the dangling roots/transplanted civilization types and labeling them by the state they were found in.. The "lettering" on your medallion screams fantasy and there were many copies made from this coin, and are still made today, although yours may be from a casting mould that we havent yet seen. I would have to search back.

Anything interesting and unusual, made in America 100 years ago, should have interest to collectors. I think $50 was a little high priced but if you can label it as a Farley Coin, it would possibly increase the value. There will always be those that believe these are from authentic Phoenician explorers but as more and more of these medallion/tokens are surfacing, that scenario seems unlikely and the value will go down. Thanks for posting.
I miss the old days of TreasureNet :unhappysmiley:

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea me too but looking back and reading some old posts, it appears I was often a jerk and I apologize. But we were all pashionate about our hobby. TN was the cutting edge at the time.
I cringe to when I read some of my old posts :-[

SS

Upvote 0
OP
OP
history hunter

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I was just watching a show where they were proving that the ancient Minoans came to Northern WI and UP area to mine copper for the bronze age. Perhaps they did produce coins here and Im pretty sure the history books are wrong with all the evidence to the contrary. If the modern people today were not around to see them make the coins, who's to say exactly how they looked. What people believe to be true and what really is true are two different things sometimes. P.S. I have also found a bronze arrow point in WI and some copper arrow points in the UP

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread