Ancient coin ? (Updated! more pics)

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
I found this coin while metal detecting when I was a kid. I thought it was fake until I brought it to a coin show and a dealer said it was not necessarily fake. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?
php9JAAsQPM.jpg

Attachments

• phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    phpTQlCk6PM.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3,274
  • php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    php6IuLvdPM.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 3,408
  • phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    phpEJJJtZPM.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,377
  • phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    phpr2GON3PM.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 3,236

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
history hunter said:
The coin/fob in the pic you are talking about does not have a brass ring in the hole like mine, that is a little strange.
Yes yours is different. But it still could be a watch fob like the ones I posted earlier. Here is a pic of vest chains from my Sears book. It looks like this type of attachment on the Maine coin.

Attachments

• Ancient Maine coin Mark Parker.jpg
    Ancient Maine coin Mark Parker.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 518
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Ancient Maine coin Mark Parker.jpg
    Ancient Maine coin Mark Parker.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 512
Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
history hunter said:
The coin/fob in the pic you are talking about does not have a brass ring in the hole like mine, that is a little strange.
Yes yours is different. But it still could be a watch fob like the ones I posted earlier. Here is a pic of vest chains from my Sears book. It looks like this type of attachment on the Maine coin.

Good point and observation on the vest chain. It places item in same era 'turn of the century'.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
history hunter

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
Thanks for the banner votes, it would be nice to make the banner.

Upvote 0

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trikikiwi said:
Is it just me, or is there some similarity here ?

Item #: anim19. Horse Head. 4 compartment locket with chain or bowpin. Circa 1880's. Price $50

http://www.antiquewear.com/invanim.htm

5th item down.

Mike
If the locket showed the other side of the coin inside the lid it could have been from one. I think time frame about right.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
IronSpike said:
Here's one like it:

http://www.numisology.com/Greek.htm

Zuegatania AE 32
—struck by an anonymous 19th century forger
Carthage
Thats another good worn example of this 19th century fantasy/forgery. Im posting it here for the record. I wonder what state it was found/purchased in? :D

Attachments

• coin carthage bronze forgery.jpg
    coin carthage bronze forgery.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Ancient coin ?

Dano Sverige said:
Happy to see the American educational brainwashing is still working strong lol.
What's so hard to believe that Columbus wasn't the first "outsider" to find North America? The Vikings did it 300 years before Columbus,and the Phoenicians certainly had the ships and knowledge to make it easily a thousand years or so before the vikings!
2 or 3 professor's,some institution in Boston,and a coin expert/author all agree these coins are ancient...but maybe they don't have the benefit of your expertise? :wink:

Anyhow,the last statement recommending contacting the author IS a very good plan,one i'd recommend doing.It could be you have a two thousand year old coin and a genuine piece of pre-american history. :thumbsup:

America discovered Spain in 1492 ! :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I missed this topic when it was first posted, but as soon as the pic popped up I recognized the coin. I have Mrs. Farley's book, so I had seen the same thing in there. Got Barry Fell's 'America B.C.', too. I have been to a lot of the sites Gloria Farley went to and checked them out. I have seen some examples of 'alleged' Ogam writing. I have a suspicion that Fell operated sometimes on the principle of 'if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS'. I keep an open mind about pre-BC european visitors. I'm still waiting for their mortal remains to be found, cause surely someone died while over here. (I know, I know, many will say they have been found.) The advances in genetic and DNA research, along with Carbon-14 dating, could shed some light on the subject. I'm waiting for somebody to throw those lab dogs a bone.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
RGINN said:
For some reason I missed this topic when it was first posted, but as soon as the pic popped up I recognized the coin. I have Mrs. Farley's book, so I had seen the same thing in there.
Im curious, are the coin pics better in the book? They are black & white and very poor quality in the link online.

Upvote 0

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
Well, here we go again.I have a very similar coin(same horse-head with palm tree but no roots) definitley a silver/gold composition,minted on one side only with a microscopic mint mark(1 with wings) on the base of the smooth side.My coin was personally found on a mountain in Tenn. in the late 70's.At the time the only research source available was the local library where I did manage to locate an example in book on Greek coinage, published in 1955.It showed the same coin being minted in Carthage about 400bc and also showed the mintmark.It was listed as one of the earliest known minted coins and in 1955 was valued at $500.It was some years later before I noticed the mintmark(not visable to the naked eye)while examining the coin under a magnifier.All of the so-called experts I have contacted have never heard of this particular coin except one who told me it would be almost impossible for me to obtain.So,add another state to your list.Thanks DBULL

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XL-PRO PRO said:
Well, here we go again.I have a very similar coin(same horse-head with palm tree but no roots) definitley a silver/gold composition,minted on one side only with a microscopic mint mark(1 with wings) on the base of the smooth side.My coin was personally found on a mountain in Tenn. in the late 70's.At the time the only research source available was the local library where I did manage to locate an example in book on Greek coinage, published in 1955.It showed the same coin being minted in Carthage about 400bc and also showed the mintmark.It was listed as one of the earliest known minted coins and in 1955 was valued at $500.It was some years later before I noticed the mintmark(not visable to the naked eye)while examining the coin under a magnifier.All of the so-called experts I have contacted have never heard of this particular coin except one who told me it would be almost impossible for me to obtain.So,add another state to your list.Thanks DBULL
Do you have any pictures of your coin.

SS

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread