✅ SOLVED Any Ideas what this Brass item is??

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I found two of these items--flat brass items with two holes for rivets/nails in them. They looked at the time like they would have some sort of stamping on them, but both are plain... The older one has some design and it is cast. It also has a part of an old nail still in one hole of it...

2008 8-14 001.jpg

2008 8-14 003.jpg

2008 8-14 002.jpg

I found this one online that was stamped "CS" from a CW camp--the finder at the site says that it's a "watch fob" but it obviously isn't...and it's the same dimensions as the plain oval one I found (pictured above). I'm not suggesting that these are war related, but I'm just wondering what the heck they are... :icon_scratch:

CS disk.jpg

http://www.midtenrelics.com/buttons.htm (See #2, second photo...)

Regards,

Buckleboy

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• beltslide 17th century.jpg
    beltslide 17th century.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know if its been already posted but I notice this link calls it a 17th century belt slide. http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/2008septfinds2.html

Yes bigcy, but when you follow the reasons backwards you always come to a dead end when it comes to knowing exactly what these were on. In other words belt slide is an educated guess. I did read something intersting yesterday which made me think of this object also, only in relation to obscurity. The was an object in a bunch of objects found by capemayhunter which crusader identified as a shoe toggle. This was apparently a device to close the shoes which existed for a relatively short period of time. Our little plate thingy also seems to fit a very brief period of use, which seems to be another reason to eliminate harness from the list.(harness fitting=when it ain't broke don't fix it (or change it)).

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I dont know what it was IDed as, just adding another picture to the collection.

I think this is the first link placing it in the 1600's. I dont know how they came to that conclusion.

...What was it IDed as? ;D

Upvote 0

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Does anyone else have one with iron markings from nails in them? If not, rivets are probably the way to go.

well, Buckle Boy i do as of yesterday found my 1st one and it made me
think of your post right away ;D Found at a farmhouse thats on the 1862 Atlas
could be a lot earlier might even be a log house ? here it is
IMG_6800_2.jpg
IMG_6801_2.jpg
IMG_6802_2.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a square nail or the hammered part of a iron ? you decide
All i do know is i removed the iron today (i like it better with the 2 holes) and
this isn't copper or brass it has a silver sparkle to it where i scraped it with my
finger nail oh ya, mine is 22mm from center hole to center hole
IMG_6803_2.JPG
IMG_6804_2.JPG

now that i found one i'm really curious too

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Sounds like a reputable website. I think you now qualify as a "hero" and I can mark this one solved. Were these strap guides a piece of horse furniture?"

Will, we've been here already. When you follow this backwards you find this conclusion all originated with the phrase, these are "probably" strap guides. Of course it got repeated so many times that it turns into fact. The operative words in your post are "were these strap guides a piece of horse furniture?" Of course we don't know. NOBODY KNOWS, which is yet another factor which makes "strap guide" a guess. Sadly, we have yet to know what these were for. It ain't solved! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but doesnt it look like this horse piece (arrow) on this Civil War era US Calvary saddle made in New York?

Attachments

• saddle US Calvary w arrow.JPG
    saddle US Calvary w arrow.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 268
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know if this has been mentioned, but doesnt it look like this horse piece (arrow) on this Civil War era US Calvary saddle made in New York?

Excellent work, BigCy! I'm going to look again through the saddles. Was this piece on every McClelland style saddle, or just those made by certain manufacturers?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BuckleBoy said:
Excellent work, BigCy! I'm going to look again through the saddles. Was this piece on every McClelland style saddle, or just those made by certain manufacturers?
I dont know I just found it by accident. Scroll down second from bottom. http://www.catskillmountainkeeper.org/node/294

Catskill tanneries supplied most of the saddles used in the Civil War.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
I dont know I just found it by accident. Scroll down second from bottom. http://www.catskillmountainkeeper.org/node/294

Catskill tanneries supplied most of the saddles used in the Civil War.

You know--it could be that the old method of attachment (early 1800s saddles) was iron, and later on these were brass attachments. I can't think of any other reason why we wouldn't find these in CW sites. Seems like only the earlier ones. Anyone have a contact who is familiar with pre-CW saddles?

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure mine were found at pre 1840 sites, I do occasionally hunt later sites but I know most I have found including the one with the U shaped piece was at an older site. Not sure how much horses were ridden in this area, but I suspect in the time frame around here that the sites I hunt, horses were not commonplace (ones ridden).

Don

Upvote 0

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple I found. I believe they are just some kind of horse furnature, mine have came from 1700s sites to late 1800s sites the early ones tend to be a little thicker.

Attachments

• twohole2.jpg
    twohole2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 181
  • twohole1.jpg
    twohole1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 172
  • twohole3.jpg
    twohole3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
We cant see underneath the belt but what do you think about this Buckleboy? http://www.gnwtc.com/oldroom1.htm

That's a good idea, but my hunch is that money belts were much more common in the areas that these items are found. I have not heard of these being found in the west. Has anyone found them there?

-Buck

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another U shaped section found today!

I found my second U shaped piece that concerns this What is it Post and this one is different from my first one posted in that there is no fancy decoration on it, but it appears it was silver plated! Also, notice the rectangle shaped opening in it.

Including a photo of the first one I found and posted on Page 3 of this post.

It was found at a very very isolated site. It most likely was a crude log cabin and was occupied during the period of the sawmills in operation in the area from the late 1700's till maybe 1830 at the latest. The finds at this isolated site today were buttons that indicate a late 1700s to about 1830 era. Most of the wooded sites like this were not associated with farms and horse tack is not usually found at these places. So I think this post is still not solved on what these U shaped pieces and it oval shaped brass pieces were used for.

Last Photo is my previously posted U Shaped piece.

Don

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 258
  • 26Janfinds.jpg
    26Janfinds.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 264
  • 26JanfindVernalpondsite.jpg
    26JanfindVernalpondsite.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 276
  • ushapedtopside.jpg
    ushapedtopside.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Ushapedunknownwithrectangleopening.jpg
    Ushapedunknownwithrectangleopening.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 271
  • UshapedUnksBB.jpg
    UshapedUnksBB.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your more decorative piece closely resembles #7 below.

Attachments

• saddleplate.jpg
    saddleplate.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 274
Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

BBs original post was for the oval plates, the u-pieces came in later and were identified, I know some people didn't except the ID, but it was from a reputable website, and as nobody has come up with anything else 17 months on, so they should be excepted as reign or strap guides.The original pieces are just proberbly name plates, of saddles or anything which you wanted to stamp your initials, some were even posted with such initials on them.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=13412&cat=169

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=169&page=7

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=294

SS

Upvote 0

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i kave 3 blank ones and one like yours and two with fancy script writing on them i always thought they were for horse tack or for iding the owners initials on a chest or piece of luggage i do have a repro cw holster that has one on the flap that has my rank on it of 1st sgt that i won at a cw re encament for best dressed missouri border ruffian and rebel yell

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread