Any Old Timers Out West Need Help From A Young Blood?

minty92

Apr 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been researching geology/prospecting for nearly 10 years (I'm 26) Not much hands on experience but my research skills are top notch. First place i ever had a notion to check i found a layer of grey clay full of gemstones. After that layer, Huge chunks of quartz/quartzite, granite, schist you name it.Below it, sparkling red clay full of what i thought was pyrite.All off an estimated guess based on locality. Wish i knew that red clay usually contains gold at the time. Enough babble though, I would really like to help some old timer that has knowledge/location. Yet are getting too old to do everything themselves/ recover from more difficult area. I am honest and beyond hard working,fit and witty.I am a government contractor so i have a lot of spare time between jobs. Have my own monetary means but I am chasing a passion. My family has a rich history of mining and i swear it courses through my veins. Hopefully someone sees this by Gods will. I am a man of morals and loyalty,hopefully I'm not wasting my time writing this,but you never know...Im from the east coast but will travel wherever necessary. Looking for a mining PARTNER not a boss.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like you have it all. Get in your truck, and get out there. You don't need some one who is "too old", holding your hand. You're already pretty sure you know everything you need to know, so grow a set, and do it. Good luck.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol ya me too, show me your best places before your dead !! :usflag::happy3:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to you ever seen the movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre awesome movie. Welcome to tnet from MI Tommy

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minty92,
I see this your first post.
Welcome to our friendly and at times, somewhat sarcastic forum.

"Lol ya me too, show me your best places before your dead !!"

When I'm dead, them best places ain't gonna do me no good.
When I am no longer able to dig a hole, I will hire a hole digger.
When I am no longer able to swing a metal detector, I will hire a metal detector swinger.
When I am no longer able to enjoy the pursuit of treasure, I will share the knowledge I have acquired and hope that they prosper in their endeavors.

That is what the OP is asking for, someone who needs some help to keep doing what they love.

I have seen many responses in the prospecting forum by people talking about they're too old to climb that hill or dig that hole.
Prospecting's tough, it's hard on the body, it's not like ambling around on flatland swinging a metal detector and digging an 8 inch hole every now and then.
There comes a time when you can't do it by yourself, but still want to get it done.

I hope some old timer prospector reaches out to him and his next post is about them striking the mother lode.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Deep1, ya got it
I'm 74 and move around ok, but have a bum foot and a BAD back - not going to get any better.
I can still design stuff, build stuff but slowly, cannot dig for more than 5 min., and cannot even bend over with a full pan.
I can no longer pack my equipment to where I wish to use it.
No friends or family that is into gold to the extent of doing it; so why on earth would I not wish to give it to someone who had an interest?

It gets even more complicated due to where I am located, different issue.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep1, ya got it
I'm 74 and move around ok, but have a bum foot and a BAD back - not going to get any better.
I can still design stuff, build stuff but slowly, cannot dig for more than 5 min., and cannot even bend over with a full pan.
I can no longer pack my equipment to where I wish to use it.
No friends or family that is into gold to the extent of doing it; so why on earth would I not wish to give it to someone who had an interest?

It gets even more complicated due to where I am located, different issue.

Bill, still might be possible to be involved in mining. I can remember several men that continued to work (from a seated position) well beyond when they could actually perform the work themselves. They had ideas, experience, and knowledge that allowed them to hire and direct young men to do the work for them.

Lots of pointing and orders being given. They would leave then check back later to see how things were progressing.

Usually it was from a pickup truck (they never got out), but these days it could be a UTV. Suspension seat...3 point harness for back stability. Kind of comes down to money. Being able to front equipment and wages to make something profitable. Heck you can't take it with you..so it could be a losing proposition as long as it was an adventure.

I've also seen men take the effort to instruct the up and coming generation..teach them valuable skills that took a lifetime to learn and appreciate. Mentoring does not have to be physical. It can be time, effort, patience, and confidence.

I personally think the best thing we could do for our future is get our younger kids spending more time around our older generation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

minty92

Apr 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad most responses are positive! Im not looking to get over on anyone,not my style ! I can see where youre coming from BC but im not like that. I dont like to be taken advantage of, so i dont take advantage of others. Deep ,digger and Bill have the idea. I see the knowledge old folks hold and i dont think it should be left to die.I have an interest in something NONE of my friends care about.
"Hasnt it all been mined....if it was that easy to find why wouldnt everyone do it".The typical responses most modern day prospectors get.Yet I know as well as most people on here.Were in the golden age of mining.Technology allows us to do things we couldn't before.
Its a passion to me not just a hobby.The mystery to it all, the plain beauty in the fact the earth gives us such amazing things.My family owned iron mines and other types but my grandfather was disowned for being a disorderly drunk. Look up the seven iron brothers! Its literally in my blood, i think that genetic memory is a thing. Why else would a kid from a flat state like ohio care about finding gold? lol Glacial gold wont pay the bills unless you're really lucky !

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

minty92

Apr 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A2coins...that movie sounds interesting,definitely going to watch it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread