anyone ever find anything good along a river?

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i would have to assume people have been traveling rivers for ages. i live along a river and in the past have hunted the banks pretty hard only to find fishing lures, sinkers, and beer cans. i even tried hunting after major flood events like when hurricanes hit. and still only find garbage.

so just curious if any other members have found some good treasure along a water way like a river. i mean like on or near the river bank. not 100 yards from the river.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think this is the best I can do...

Mike and Dad with fish-2.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice chunky King! In my early teens, we snorkeled in the Stillaguamish River ( western Washington ) in late summer when the water levels were down. Lots of fishing lures hung up in the rocks on the bottom. That was real treasure for us.

Here in South Carolina, I have found a few relics ( MDing ) along small tributary creeks, where the banks haven't moved much over the years. I'm sure the bottoms of the navigable rivers here in the south are littered with artifacts from the colonial period as they were the primary transportation routes for goods and crops. Probably mostly iron items as coinage wasn't prevalent here during that time.

Any encampments on the high banks of rivers' outer bends have long washed away as the river migrates a bit with each flood, cutting into the bank.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kype as others have said many times most activity in the past has occurred near water. Probably find something in every river you try
Yes, the waterways have always been a magnet to mankind's need for water...!
Flood events often make course changes in the flow of the rivers or creeks..., so related cultural activity, will offer the hunter, a sampling of time and material...wealth..., but NOT in the places you would expect to find em...!

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Nice chunky King! In my early teens, we snorkeled in the Stillaguamish River ( western Washington ) in late summer when the water levels were down. Lots of fishing lures hung up in the rocks on the bottom. That was real treasure for us.

Here in South Carolina, I have found a few relics ( MDing ) along small tributary creeks, where the banks haven't moved much over the years. I'm sure the bottoms of the navigable rivers here in the south are littered with artifacts from the colonial period as they were the primary transportation routes for goods and crops. Probably mostly iron items as coinage wasn't prevalent here during that time.

Any encampments on the high banks of rivers' outer bends have long washed away as the river migrates a bit with each flood, cutting into the bank.
That’s what I thought too, was going to do Lynches River along and back from the banks but it’s probably flooded so far inland over time

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple of guys I know pan out some gold along the rivers up here. I usually just pan out black sand.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I ever find are oxen shoes and leg hold traps! But river banks can be a good spot to find old bottles. Back in the day, people would just back up their truck and dump all their trash in the river. The heavier stuff, like bottles, usually stayed within a few feet of the river bank.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aquachigger on Youtube

He has found upwards of 100,000 CW minie balls, cannon balls,
and all kinds of other stuff. You have to find where the old river crossings used to be, camp sites, ferries, etc. The older the better.
Or where people were dumping their trash along banks.

Nathan W

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2023
Aquachigger on Youtube

and all kinds of other stuff. You have to find where the old river crossings used to be, camp sites, ferries, etc. The older the better.

This place I’m looking at doing had a ferry boat in early 1800s there. And Union troops crossed on makeshift bridge a little further down stream from what I can tell on the map. I guess it would be worth a shot to comb the banks on both sides for a ways

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived within walking distance of the upper Arkansas River in Chaffee County Colorado, I spent many days sampling the gravel bars and looking for stone artifacts. I found all kinds of interesting things, with my eyes. Old bottles, spent shells like a Henry rim fire, petrified wood, worn down by the many years of erosion and once a busted tip of an aluminum plane propeller. One place I came along very rusty looking stained boulders and rocks on the river bank. I saw rail car couplings and other wreckage of iron rods, with big threaded nuts. They were what was left of two open rail cars that derailed and ended up down in the river with ore from Leadville. I think it was primarily being mined around WW1 for zinc and lead, but I did have samples assayed in Alma and it held 8 Oz. to the ton of silver and small amounts of gold. Very heavy rocks they are, as some are still there. Once in awhile I'll drive by it and look at the site down in a steep gorge and what's left of it is still there from the last I carried samples of those rocks out in 1985. Now that we have so much access to information online I searched records of train wrecks and you can find quite a bit of info about when and where these wrecks acured going back more than a century all over the country. This gave me the idea that it might be fun to try and search for some of these places along old abandoned rail lines and existing ones today.

Last edited:

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found plenty in rivers, usually in rocky areas. The problem with banks is they get silted up and all the light trash ends up on top and the good stuff gets buried deep. I'm sure that its different in every region with different types of rivers though.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Aquachigger on Youtube

Yes, many wagons were washed away when crossing rivers. The unrecovered items end up in the silt. Rivers can change course over time.
Aquachigger on Youtube

Yes, wagons were washed away in the current. Unrecovered items end up in the silt. Many rivers change course over time. Dry river beds are often good sites.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Yes, many wagons were washed away when crossing rivers. The unrecovered items end up in the silt. Rivers can change course over time.

Yes, wagons were washed away in the current. Unrecovered items end up in the silt. Many rivers change course over time. Dry river beds are often good sites.
Sorry for this getting out twice! Not sure how. It appeared to be gone. Re wrote, posted the rewrite and now both. 🫤

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck on sandbars and in sediment deposits but no much success along the banks themselves. Low lying fields in the flood plane also have been good to me.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spotted a copper compact among the rip rap. The mirror was intact but the cloth had long ago disintegrated. The secretary at the city building was real helpful so I gave it to her. As usual, my best finds don't involve a detector.

Spill

Oct 15, 2022
I found a tiny little fish. I feel like I remember my dad having some old lures that had spinners on them that looked like that. I had lost my dad very recently so it felt pretty meaningful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread