Anyone have a boat?

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
Can you get to it without a boat? Plus with the river up it might be a problem with flooding.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's no road to the site, and really I'm not sure there ever was, I've just been looking at it on google earth, and there's definitely no way there except by boat. With the flooding expected to last most of the summer it looks like this one will have to go to the back burner for a while though.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hi Ken, I won't ask which river, so as not to be too nosey, but if you are thinking anywhere even a little East of NO, the woods are so destroyed from Katrina that even getting to a place by boat would not do much good because there would likely be no place literally to put your feet on solid ground. The downed timber is now covered in underbrush, briers.weeds, new growth saplings and vegetation that a buldozier couldn't go through.Hope your site is far enough North/NW and away from the destruction. Very likely a good dig too, as Jackson's troops came from all directions to to get to the Battle of NO. Also lots more very early Militia activity in S. La. than most folks realize.Permanent camps/facilities/roads/etc. I have researched some of it myself and some of it is still there if you can root it out. Good Luck and HH !! Cass

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not the island.

Cass, the site I'm looking at is on high ground, and looks to be pretty easy to negotiate, the problem is just getting there. It's visible on google earth if you know exactly where it is and what to look for.....

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheHarleyMan2 said:
You wouldn't be talking about Profit Island by chance are you?

HarleyMan, I think Profit Island is private property and off limits if I remember right. At least I think I remember someone telling me that, but I might be thinking about a different island. If not, there's a chance to hunt for a steamboat wreck site there in the bend. I'm posting the story in a new thread.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:
You wouldn't be talking about Profit Island by chance are you?

HarleyMan, I think Profit Island is private property and off limits if I remember right. At least I think I remember someone telling me that, but I might be thinking about a different island. If not, there's a chance to hunt for a steamboat wreck site there in the bend. I'm posting the story in a new thread.

Many unpteen years ago back in the late 79 to early 80's I worked for Penrod and they had a drill rig set up there for at least 2 years. We would have to take a barge over to the island to go to work everyday.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a boat and will travel, i would have to verify that the permission is real by talking to the owner or leasee, just to make sure i dont get shot!!! But i would love to go, email me or send me a pm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread