What's new

Anyone seen anything like this?

quito

Silver Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
4,638
Reaction score
4,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Found this a few years ago, one of the oddest finds I have picked up. Any ideas on use?

This side is flat and highly polished
DSCN1273.jpg


This side is convex if you will.

DSCN1272.jpg




DSCN1275.jpg
DSCN1274.jpg
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What type of stone is it? Looks almost like shell. Where did you find it at?
 
To answer your question, no! TN Mt. mentioned a peyote cactus in a recent post, and added a pic of one. This piece looks just like a peyote cactus. Not sure of your location, but it looks like a peyote effigy. That's my guess.
 
To answer your question, no! TN Mt. mentioned a peyote cactus in a recent post, and added a pic of one. This piece looks just like a peyote cactus. Not sure of your location, but it looks like a peyote effigy. That's my guess.



image-1423483411.webp
 
I'm guessing it's a fossil cast of some sort. The notches around the side don't show signs of being man made. The Polish is interesting.
 
Last edited:
This is just a guess.. But I think it may be a negative image left in hardened sediment of the interior of a sea urchin. A fossil "cast" imagine this being filled from the inside then the exterior breaking away leaving a mold.

images-1.webp
 
I'm guessing it's a fossil cast of some sort. The notches around the side don't show signs of being man made. The Polish is interesting.

Gator, have you ever seen fossils that were used as tools? If so, this would make a cool little discoidal. I'm out of my league on this one. It still has peyote looking features. I doubt many cactus of any sort grow in colder weather. Poster is in the Dakotas. I'm guessing it was found there. Cool piece!
 
Humans altered anything that they thought was useful to better their life. I believe it was a altered piece by a human. For what reason it will probably be a mystery till somebody else finds another one like it if ever.
 
I see what could be Polish from use too. I have seen fossils used yes. Its definitely different. I hope someone figures it out for sure.
I can say with a good degree of certainty that those notches were not ground into the stone.
 
Till i saw it was so small I was almost thinking a fishing type of tool for cordage to be wrapped on.
 
it is cool
we do have cactus here
 
Last edited:
I have had some luck sending off images to the local university museum in different areas of study. You must have a good one in your area, if not this is a good source.

Staff Directory - Burke Museum

long list of emails in a lot of different subject areas. My experience is that they take it personal if they CAN'T help you.....
 
polished fossil used for game piece...maybe
the notches are definitely not man made

and NC, we do have cactus in the dakotas

Thanks for the insight. I just figured being so cold, they wouldn't grow. After I posted, I got to thinking again. The desert gets cold at night. You know me I process thoughts in reverse sequence. Lol! Do you guys have peyote that grows wild? Just curious.
 
OK, thanks for the input.

Under the scope, I can see nothing to indicate living organism at one time. There's not any sign of growth patterns, but I am no biologist. It is pocked, some holes are very shallow and some appear much deeper under the scope. The color of it and the holes in it, are the only feature (on the exterior anyway), that weren't put there by man.

Fossil was mine and the guy with me's first thought when I found it, and my only thought till I scoped it . It still could very well be though.

Use wear polish is very evident. The lines incised on it ARE man made no doubt about it, ( I'll give 10 to 1 on that one). I can see the lenght of them have been worn down with the use or polishing of it, so they were likely put in before much if any use imho. It has been examined by some pretty astute people and 2 authenticators at the Collinsville a few years ago. I didn't have it papered since we didn't know what to call it. BUT, right away, one of them did say, he saw something like it that was from an Arikira site in the Dakota's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, he didn't know where I was from at that point either. I'll save his *opinion* for later though.

I have my idea, but really would like to get more intelligent opinions.

Thanks everyone!!!
 
Cool lookin rock and it does look like wear on that one side. No clue. I can tell you that nobody, absolutely never, would make a peyote stone or effigy. That just doesn't happen.
 
Cool lookin rock and it does look like wear on that one side. No clue. I can tell you that nobody, absolutely never, would make a peyote stone or effigy. That just doesn't happen.

It's my understanding that peyote was used for religious purposes. Why wouldn't they make an effigy of the plant that takes them closer to the Gods? Like we wear crosses and have Jesus fish.
 
Could be a sinew stone. A very nice one at that.

Well that was what the one guy did call it, I wasn't certain just how it was used though. He said something about sizing the sinew. I was thinking something similar to Rock and his mention of cordage, thinking/envisioning several thin strands of sinew, one in each groove tied together on one end. Then suspending the strands fashioned to the stone and spinning the strands into one heavier rope or cord if you will.

Well anyway, whatever it is, I sure like it, and I am still open for opinions, corrections, thoughts, and further enlightenment.

Joel
 
polished fossil used for game piece...maybe
the notches are definitely not man made

Steve, one reason the notches don't appear man made, is likely because of the amount of those indentations on the piece. The area incised went through many many of the little holes. Beings the edges were/are not a ground surface like the rest of the stone, the edges look rough and cragley and a little uneven. The microscope shows a nice tooled cut inside those incisions.

Trust me, they are man made.:-)

Joel
 
Last edited:
Just found this definition at Archeology Wordsmith site for Sinew stone.

"A rare stone artifact with incised lines of indentations through with sinew was drawn across it to prepare the material for use in making bowstring, thread, and string"

I'll go along with that.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom