Attaching SEF coil to E-trac shaft... Help?

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any tips on how to get the curly part of the coil cable through the super-tight carbon-fiber shaft for the E-trac? I have a 6x8 cable that just DOES NOT want to go through that tight opening at the bottom of the shaft...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is to feed a string through first and use it to help pull it through. If your going to change it often just leave it on outside and use velcro strips to hold.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's what I do.......a shoe lace works good. I leave an extra one in my bag. I just got another lower rod so I can leave it mounted up permanently. I think I'll get an extra upper rod to make things real simple!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you have to turn the cable clockwise a little bit to get it to go in.

Wayne

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I though about using a string but haven't tried it yet.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it seems like leaving an upper rod on as well would make a quick change possible. Never knew the Etrac would be such a pain to put a coil on! Fortunately I have an extra lower rod I bought, so I can leave the coil on.
Yup, that's what I do.......a shoe lace works good. I leave an extra one in my bag. I just got another lower rod so I can leave it mounted up permanently. I think I'll get an extra upper rod to make things real simple!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used a heavy string-took 5 seconds!

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, the E-Trac's spiral coil works hard to bind inside the stem. Tight fit. Bad design.

Best to buy a spare (used) lower and upper stem and leave the coil/stems permanently assembled together.

Swapping coils is a breeze - off with the entire assembly and on with the new.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I've been doing at least with the lower shaft. I have 4 extra coils and would like to have a lower and upper for all three.
Yep, the E-Trac's spiral coil works hard to bind inside the stem. Tight fit. Bad design.

Best to buy a spare (used) lower and upper stem and leave the coil/stems permanently assembled together.

Swapping coils is a breeze - off with the entire assembly and on with the new.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUT even if you had the the lower and upper together, wouldn't you still have to screw with pulling the cord out of the end of the upper shaft to connect it to the control housing every time you switched coils? I guess you could rig something to keep the cord from slipping back into the upper shaft when that particular coil setup was not in use. Or am I missing something?
That's what I've been doing at least with the lower shaft. I have 4 extra coils and would like to have a lower and upper for all three.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is a bit of a pain. Now if you have the X-1 probe then it is very easy. The cord just wraps around the lower shaft and connects to the X-1 control box.

BTW, I really like the X-1!!

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes having the X-1 would solve that problem...but then there is no need to have an upper shaft for every coil.
It is a bit of a pain. Now if you have the X-1 probe then it is very easy. The cord just wraps around the lower shaft and connects to the X-1 control box.

BTW, I really like the X-1!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then the wire is outside where it will snag on every little branch and bush. If you have the upper and lower shaft with the coil all mounted up, just collapse the lower shaft into the upper and the wire will stay up at the top of the upper shaft and not fall down where you can't fish it out.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But then the wire is outside where it will snag on every little branch and bush. If you have the upper and lower shaft with the coil all mounted up, just collapse the lower shaft into the upper and the wire will stay up at the top of the upper shaft and not fall down where you can't fish it out.

Hogwash. I've been using the outside wrapped cable on my E-Trac for 4 years and it have NEVER snagged on anything. The cable isn't loose and flopping around.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I must jamb my coil under bushes more than average as I've repaired two coils for that reason.

OP
OP
Sovereignelite

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, if you DON'T have an X-1 mounted on an upper shaft. Hadn't thought of that.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
*** BUT even if you had the the lower and upper together, wouldn't you still have to screw with pulling the cord out of the end of the upper shaft to connect it to the control housing every time you switched coils? ***

The spiral cord isn't going to fall into the shaft. It's is just as hard to "fall-into" the upper shaft as it is to push through. About 3-4" of cord should be outside the upper-shaft - enough to reach the control unit.

Swapping coils takes only a minute when the lower-upper shafts are connected to the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread