What's new

Beautiful 1788 Connecticut Copper Struck Over a Nova Constellatio Copper

Kyle PA

Hero Member
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
957
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Kirk, Chris, and I got out today to a site where we hunted in late June of this year. We originally hunt the outskirts of the site then, mainly because the main homesite was still in soybean. No problem, we thought, we will head back once Mr. Lunker Farmer cuts the soybean in the Fall. :laughing9: Well, Chris and I drove by yesterday and saw that he was cutting the soybean. We high-fived, waved to the muscle-bound farmer in his combine, and headed off back home with high hopes of digging some earlies on Sunday morning.

Within the first 10 minutes of swinging, I got a high dime reading on my analog machine. I pinpointed, flipped some dirt out, and was startled by a yelp from Kirk about 10 yards away. He found something that probably could shock the forums in America! He will relate his story once he has the time. Meanwhile, after coming back from Kirk's hole, I found what was waiting for me in my dug-out hole. There she was: a beautiful, sexy 1788 Connecticut copper! :headbang: I yelped as well, hurried over to Chris, and showed him my copper. He didn't look at it, so I took it as being jealous. I walked away, and said outloud, "He doesn't even care." Chris heard what I said, looked up from what he was doing and stated, "Kyle, I'm going to punch you in the mouth one of these days. I was distracted. I was looking at my pewter button that I found at the same time you found your copper. I was looking for a regiment number or the letters USA." I overreacted at the time and understand why he was distracted. Next time, he has a free shot at my jib. :laughing9:

I ended the day with brass musket trigger guard parts, a pile of buttons, and pewter spoon bowls and handles.

My Fall season has been special to me. Last weekend I dug the pistareen and now this awesome CT copper. We have more fields we have to get into after the farmers cut the crops.
 

Attachments

  • 035.webp
    035.webp
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 037.webp
    037.webp
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • 040.webp
    040.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 044.webp
    044.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 047.webp
    047.webp
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,179
Upvote 2
WOWWWWW---That Conneticut Copper BLOws me away. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great find my friend----and love the pics.
 
Hell I'll let you all punch ME in the mouth if you bring me out detecting :thumbsup: Awesome finds!
 
That Conn. is in great shape :icon_thumleft: rare find i wish the local coppers all looked like that Good hunt Jim :thumbsup:
 
Kyle, you are the king of the special Connecticuts. This site has to be one of the best we've ever done. I can see the letter V near the shield on the back of the coin. Amazing.
Uncle Chris
 
Nice one Kyle :icon_thumright:
 
WOW! THAT PUPPY IS SWEET! :thumbsup:
 
congratulations on an outstanding find!

no doubt a top ten find here, there or anywhere! I think you might have a new favourite site alright!

for me, I would be going nuts waiting for the rest of that field to be harvested, I hope it doesn't keep you up at night..
 
That is a beauty there Kyle!...what else are you going to pull out of that site..can't wait
 
You three have some of the most awesome sites to hunt! :icon_thumright: What a great find! :headbang: :hello2:
 
I tried to do a nice comparison photo, with sort of lining up the features of a Nova Constellatio with your Conn copper to show most of the prominent features that show on the undertype (Nova). There are features of the original coin visible on both sides of your Conn copper. For those who do not know, the people who made coppers back then would sometimes use other coins as their "blank planchets" to strike their coin on and thus sometimes the original coin will not be completely destroyed feature wise when the new die was applied to it. Sometimes a lot of the features remain and sometimes only a very small and faint feature can be seen.

This Conn copper Kyle has found is a keeper for sure and I know I sure would be happy to find something like that. I do have a NJ variety that is overstruck, but for that variety, all of them were, so not too uncommon. I am not sure about the rarity of this copper, but it is a special one for a detectorist to find for sure~!
Congrats Kyle

Don
 

Attachments

  • ConnNovaComparisons.webp
    ConnNovaComparisons.webp
    179.8 KB · Views: 562
  • 1788M.12.2-COverstrikeNova5-E.KY.webp
    1788M.12.2-COverstrikeNova5-E.KY.webp
    147.9 KB · Views: 562
So when can we expect to see Kirk's find??
 
romeo-1 said:
So when can we expect to see Kirk's find??


Maybe we're all getting a little piece of it for Christmas.
 
:headbang: :hello2: :hello2:
That sure is a beautiful Connec. copper Kyle! You are finding some awesome coins my friend!
Keith
 
AWESOME!!

:notworthy:

I really think you guys should host the first annual PA TNET copper chase!! Open to all us PA boys....heck you could hold it on a "hunted out" farm up there just to see what turns up!!

Congrats again!!!

Dave
 
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
So when can we expect to see Kirk's find??


Maybe we're all getting a little piece of it for Christmas.

Well, I hope he carves it up small, cause there are a lot of us standing in line for it--waiting!

Nice coppa, Kyle! That's one cool overstruck example! :hello2:
 
Another outstanding find. :notworthy: :notworthy: Congrats! :icon_thumright:
 
Thank you for all of the replies and, once again, thank you, Don, for the ID! It will always be a special find for me.

Here is a picture of the site when we hunted it in early Summer. Everything that we dug yesterday was sitting in that green soybean field at the time. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,333439.0.html
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom