What's new

Best tool to grind rust off a cannonball

Well if you have access to a sand blower parts cleaner; I would use crushed wallnut shells to take the rust down safely.
 
I'm by no means an expert on restoring CW relics, and you have something that is definitely a keeper and worth saving.....but i will mention that muriatic acid will remove every bit of that rust scale. I have used it for many years to descale automotive parts for restorations...works like a charm on brake drums. Mix the acid 50/50 with water in a 5 gallon bucket and carefully lower the item into the solution...it may take hours, it may take a day, but the rust will be gone. After soaking is complete rinse it well and dry it immediately afterwards, and coat it. Pitting will be present where the rust has eaten away the metal.

Good method, but make that a PLASTIC bucket, not metal!!!!! Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.webp
 
Let us know what you do and how it turned out for future reference .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom