What's new

Black spear head I guess?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2013
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
2,824
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's our largest, can I say "point", guess it is part of a spear head? Didn't notice before but there is some "blue" on it, anyone know what kind of rock this is made from? :) FSCN4240.webpFSCN4239.webpFSCN4237.webpFSCN4233.webp
 
Upvote 0
That or a big knife blade. Nice flaking on it. Hope ya find the rest someday soon.
 
Spearhead (lanceolate) of Knife, that's for sure.

From the pics, the material looks like obsidian.
 
Sweet knife it looks to have some fossil inclusions in it does obsidian have those ? I don't find volcanic glass around here but it looks like a dark chert
 
I really hope you find the rest of that one day.
Those blue spots look like they could be little sections of quartz veins in the chert.
I found one with the same thing
 
with the inclusions, I would say basalt. regardless, basalt - chert or whatever, it's a beauty
 
I just hopped on the p.c. for a better look.. not thinking chert anymore sorry.. I know that stuff.
 
Looks like Dacite to me which is a type of Obsidian, and the blue who knows:icon_scratch:But that would have been a killer blade for sure:icon_thumleft:
 
Well, thank you everyone! I'm pretty sure it's not obsidian, or at least not any I've ever seen...and I see a lot of it...everyday! Seems much harder and denser. Yes, hope we find the rest of it, that would be nice for sure! I'll look up what you suggested monsterrack & Chris, and see if it looks like those. So, you guys thinks "knife", sounds good to me! lol :)
 
I think it's chert, but you know who would know? Experts at U of NM, Should ask them...
 
...looked at what you guys suggested and still not really sure...hard to tell from pictures. I'd probably trust you guys more than myself, since you've probably been around those types of rocks & studied them more than I. Maybe like you guys said...a type of obsidian that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the help everyone! :)
 
Looks like chert to me
 
...rock says chert...guess it's chert lol :)
 
What a heartbreaker! But a Cool Find! :thumbsup: Looks like a spearhead by the the fine retouching on the cutting edges. And the material looks like a dark olivine quartz with black streaks in it. Certainly volcanic related. Nice!
 
Last edited:
...olivine quartz with black streaks...thank you....going to look that up...:)
 
if I had found it it would be chert. thats all they have here that is shinny black
 
If you click on the first photo and proceed to the most magnified picture you can see the greenish tint with the white background, along with the black streaks. I am not aware of any Chert that is translucent. JMO.
 
Hi guys...I had though it was just a "black" whatever, didn't really notice all the various color it had until posting and getting to see it magnified! The "blue" color is what I noticed first, then the rest.....thank you both for helping! :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom