brass acorn - SOLVED

Steve001

May 24, 2006

Attachments

• acorn1.jpg
    acorn1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2,962
Re: brass acorn

**********Ok, I'll try again. It is a magicians stage prop or trick. IE: The famous vanishing acorn. Magician holds acorn up for all to see. palms it, slips in into his sleeve where the nails hold in the fabric. Thus opening his hand the brass acorn has vanished, never to be seen again. A trick performed by my Uncle, The great Moronie.*************

:-[

Upvote 0

DigEmAll said:
I did a very little bit of research... it really didn't take long... and came up with this history.

Its development as a weapon supposedly grew out of the moratorium on edged weaponry under the Satsuma daimyo due to their restrictive policy of weapons control after invading Okinawa in the 17th century. (Some maintain that the weapon was most likely conceived and used exclusively for that end, as the configuration of actual flails and bits are unwieldy for weapons use, not to mention the fact that peasant farmers were unlikely to train for 'improvised' combat against professional warriors.)The modern nunchaku has been modified for its use as a weapon and would make a relatively ineffective rice flail.

The nunchaku as a weapon has surged in popularity since martial artist Bruce Lee used it in his movies in the 1970s. It is generally considered by martial artists to be a limited weapon. Complex and difficult to wield, the nunchaku lacks the range of the bo (quarterstaff) and the edged advantage of a sword or sai. It is also prone to inflicting injury on its user. Nevertheless, the nunchaku's impressive motion in use and perceived lethality contributed to its increasing popularity, peaking in the 1980s, perhaps due to its (unfounded) association with ninjas during the 1980s ninja craze.

You know, I'm starting to go the camping tool route myself. What about, if it was used as a hangar to keep things off the ground, away from bears, racoons, dogs, etc?

Mike

Upvote 0

diving doc said:
Okay, then let's take a look at this as though it was a small personal camping tool, something to do with its design, and see if we can't come up with a picture. From the manufacture I'm guessing the end of the 19th or the begining of the 20th. I don't think that this object can seriously be considered to be a part of an offensive weapon given its size and mass.

Doc

So if I tied five or six of these things together and threw them at sixty miles an hour at your head, you wouldn't consider yourself to have been attacked with a weapon?

I don't think it would be heavy enough hardware to hold a bag of food or trash while camping.  Besides, most people would use a rope over a limb so it could be raised and lowered when the need arises.

Upvote 0

Hey dg39,

Isn't that building around Lee Circle? I've been in there years ago, but can't remember exactly where it is (I'm from New Orleans)?

Mike

Upvote 0

DigEmAll said:
I don't think it would be heavy enough hardware to hold a bag of food or trash while camping. Besides, most people would use a rope over a limb so it could be raised and lowered when the need arises.

You're right. Like everybody else, I'm just tossing stuff out there. I have spent about four days online, and in a friend's antique catalogs, and can't find anything similar!

Mike

Upvote 0

dg39 said:
Nope, check out the web site. In the middle of the swamps.

Alexandria! That's no more in the swamps than any other part of Louisiana! ;D

Mike

Upvote 0

AND JUST WHY CAN IT NOT BE CONSIDERED AN OBJECT OF MAGIC???? GIVE ME TEN REASONS OR JUST TWO. ITS LOGICAL, IS IT NOT? ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Let's take a step back and look at what it does and doesn't accomplish.

1. You either have to be able to access the acorn to make it extend the spikes, or use centrifigal force to extend them.  WHY?  What does this accomplish?
2. Someone went to the trouble of either making it gripable or making it look like an acorn.  Why?  What does this do ?  And too, why make it gripable on only one side of it? The hull is smooth.
3. It will not function in an item such as a pipe.  You can't touch it to extend the spikes.
4. It's not really a heavy duty item.
5. Why would someone create an item with spikes hidden inside?  Why would they make it look like an acorn?
6. Where are acorns found?  Nobody would want an acorn looking thingie in Hawaii where there are no acorns.  There they would make it look like a macademia nut... or a pineapple or coffee bean. LOL  

Anyone have any other questions?  Let's see if this can help.  SOMEWHERE on this WWW there is an exact picture and ID of this thing... we just aren't looking in the right direction!!!

Upvote 0

I hate not having an idea of the size of this object. I made two pictures that show a pretty big range.

Attachments

• acorn1a.jpg
    acorn1a.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 946
Upvote 0

I have to go with the picture on the left.

By the way, anyone know when "Knurling" can into vogue?
What's the oldest thing we have seen knurled? 
That'll narrow down the age.

Upvote 0

DigEmAll said:
Let's take a step back and look at what it does and doesn't accomplish.

1. You either have to be able to access the acorn to make it extend the spikes, or use centrifigal force to extend them. WHY? What does this accomplish? (To propel it into sleeve. Spikes expand to hold prop.)...
2. Someone went to the trouble of either making it gripable or making it look like an acorn. Why? What does this do ? And too, why make it gripable on only one side of it? The hull is smooth. (for show by magician)
3. It will not function in an item such as a pipe. You can't touch it to extend the spikes. (they only expand when propeled into sleeve)
4. It's not really a heavy duty item. (Has to be light to use as a trick prop)
5. Why would someone create an item with spikes hidden inside? Why would they make it look like an acorn? (For show)
6. Where are acorns found? Nobody would want an acorn looking thingie in Hawaii where there are no acorns. There they would make it look like a macademia nut... or a pineapple or coffee bean. LOL (Mostly in the south and east US)

Anyone have any other questions? Let's see if this can help. SOMEWHERE on this WWW there is an exact picture and ID of this thing... we just aren't looking in the right direction!!!

Upvote 0

In some cases it do, do, do. ;D ;D ;D Magic depends on apparatus of some type, when not slight of hand. Hodunit was famous for his contraptions.

Upvote 0

After taking a look at this thing, one possibility comes to mind. Could it have been attached to a watch chainfor pickpocket prevention of a pocket watch. Pulling on the chain would activate the spikes, preventing the watch from being pulled out by snagging on the pocket. The owner though would reach in and grab the knurled edges thereby preventing the spike activation.

Upvote 0

darn thing is a nightmare... ??? there is a discoloration....and is this writing on the top

Attachments

• Acorn1.jpg
    Acorn1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 893
Upvote 0

I think it's a scratch.

I'm really hating this addictive, non productive topic! ::)

Attachments

• acorn1 copy.jpg
    acorn1 copy.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 911
Upvote 0

Here's one from Ebay - no spikes though so it still doesn;t answer the big question - "What the #$%^& are the spikes for ?"

Diggem'

Attachments

• dsp_mvc-746s_1148750035.jpg
    dsp_mvc-746s_1148750035.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 880
Upvote 0

SWR said:
That area appears to have been digitally altered. Also, you can now see the elusive third hole behind the plunger.

Yes, the entire image was digitally altered in an effort to show detail in the anomaly identified by Michelle, but as Doc has pointed out, there simply are not enough pixels in the original image. If it was a factory stamped letter or number though, I think we would be able to tell that.

Upvote 0

diving doc said:
bigcypresshunter said:
We may not have to look any further.. I like the acorn infuser idea.

Why the spikes then, and why so few holes?? And what about those pricks and springs???
Are you still sure?

Doc
I'm not sure of anything, never was. :'(

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back