JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: brass acorn

diving doc said:
DigEmAll said:
Angelo said:
DIGEMALL!

Are you thinking along the line of a GAUCHO BOLA?

Perhaps, just a different country.

Why did you choose Pakistan?

Tony

I choose Pakistan because that is where all those cheap knives and all that other made from brass cheap stuff comes from.

The bolas don't really have to be heavy. The originals were knots of leather. I can assure you that that little acorn of brass would be plenty heavy for a bola.

Back in the seventies and eighties there was a plethora of cheaply made "ninja" weapons. Things that a Ninja wouldn't ever think of using. Some actually gained an acceptance in the martial arts, like nunchukas. You know... "Num chucks" two sticks tied together with a rope or chain. Invented late in the last century... not even in China or Japan, but made famous on the movie set because they looked cool! All these cheap weapons DIDN'T HAVE TO WORK! They just had to look cool.

All right, how heavy do bolas have to be to be effective?? Does size and mass of weapon have anything to do with size of the game??? It just doesn't work unless you're going after squirrels. Educate me on this, I'm all ears. I am trying to be objective. I don't want this to go to where it went before.

Doc

Naaa Ive been to Argentina gaucho bolas are made of rock covered with leather the balls do come in different sizes but normally they are smaller than a fist.

Best,

Chagy..........

Attachments

• gaucho.jpg
    gaucho.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 881
  • gaucho balls.jpg
    gaucho balls.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 861
  • Caminito Boca Argentine.jpg
    Caminito Boca Argentine.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 871
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Maybe its not anything....so far there are three different websites that have not been able to identify it. Maybe its just another person that is good at photoshop,with time on their hands and they did this just to drive everyone crazy. ::) There has not been one poster who has even come close to posting a picture that resembles it.

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

gypsyheart said:
Maybe its not anything....so far there are three different websites that have not been able to identify it. Maybe its just another person that is good at photoshop,with time on their hands and they did this just to drive everyone crazy. ::) There has not been one poster who has even come close to posting a picture that resembles it.

I think Ive seen something like this before, I am breaking my head, where and when?? We will be able to ID it soon.....

Best,

Chagy.........

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

same here Chagy....when I was little it seems I saw one of these...my dad had old srmy gear that he let us play with and I am almost certain that's where I saw one of them....could this be some sort of clasp...closure tab...to a knap sack duffle bag...etc. ?

Upvote 0

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Michelle said:
same here Chagy....when I was little it seems I saw one of these...my dad had old srmy gear that he let us play with and I am almost certain that's where I saw one of them....could this be some sort of clasp...closure tab...to a knap sack duffle bag...etc. ?

Maybe, I believe its some kind of tool for cleaning, poking, separating, etc....

Best,

Chagy.......

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

diving doc said:
Yes, and I would reply appropriately with something much more lethal and more than a few times to break you of the habit, Now can we try and get back on track? .[/b]Doc
::)
I wouldn't talk to Dig like this if I were you. ;) :D

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

I dont think the spikes would stay exposed without pulling on the chain to extract them and keeping pressure on it. So anything that suggests that its something other than a retriever or a puller doesnt make sense. Its made to snag something that is being pulled or it might have been attached to a line that it traveled in order to take something from one destination to the next ,with the weight of the item being what keeps the spikes open. I dont see how it would lock into spiked position other than being pulled or weighed down. And whatever the weight it is pulling could not be much or it would break the chain link.

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

stoney56 said:
After taking a look at this thing, one possibility comes to mind. Could it have been attached to a watch chainfor pickpocket prevention of a pocket watch. Pulling on the chain would activate the spikes, preventing the watch from being pulled out by snagging on the pocket. The owner though would reach in and grab the knurled edges thereby preventing the spike activation.

I still think it's a watch fob. The size seems right and the spikes coming out would work as a dererrent.
http://www.atlam-watches.co.uk/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=viewWatch&pid=9.162

Attachments

• acorn fob.jpg
    acorn fob.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 843
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HURRAY !

Late 19th Cent. device to stop the owner's watch from being pick pocketed. Small silver acorn shaped linked with three concealed prongs.

Circa 1890

Attachments

• w4437a.jpg
    w4437a.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 848
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Doc, I believe it was in the pocket attached to the watch. When the pickpocket started to slip the watch out by pulling on the chain, the spikes came out and snagged on the cloth, giving the owner a warning. By grabbing onto the knurled edges, the owner could pull the watch out without activating the spikes.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
That's absolutely great!!! What was it used for? A watch tool? How was it used? Great going! Who would ever have thunk it?? So there's something on the bottom after all, wonder why it didn't show on the picture.

Doc
dah......way to go jeff...I wondered what you were doing!!!!Now convince Doc.....THANK GOODNESS............No wonder your a Hero!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michelle said:
diving doc said:
That's absolutely great!!! What was it used for? A watch tool? How was it used? Great going! Who would ever have thunk it?? So there's something on the bottom after all, wonder why it didn't show on the picture.

Doc
dah......way to go jeff...I wondered what you were doing!!!!Now convince Doc.....THANK GOODNESS............No wonder your a Hero!

PBK & STONY DID IT, I just Posted what they Found

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Has anyone ever heard of Rube Goldburgh? ??? I dont know if I spelled the gentlemans last name correctly, but I think it is one of his inventions.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:

Pick pocket watch deterrant, boy oh boy!

Doc

A late 19th Century device designed to stop the owners watch being taken from his pocket. Small silver acorn shaped linked with three concealed prongs. When pulled the prongs extend to pierce the fingers of the would be thief. (Shown with the prongs extended).

Circa 1890
Diameter 10 mm
Condition Excellent.
A rare example of a device which would probably injured the owner of the watch more frequently than a thief!

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

diving doc said:
?? So there's something on the bottom after all, wonder why it didn't show on the picture.

Doc
;)

TN researchers are the best of the best!!!!
SWR said:
So, there was something coming out of the bottom...just as some predicted!
some? ;)pictures can be deceiving. My other ideas were way off though. But I got somethin right.

Great work guys. Once you'all quit jokin and got serious the ball game was over.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread