What's new

Bucket lister find for me !

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
Finally got a musket part. I have the gun my grandfathers grandfather had but I found this piece myself. I'm proud. It should clean up nice I will post an after pic . Found at late 1800s site I been hitting on my lunch break in the heat. It paid off. I was about to abandon this place as done.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7761.webp
    IMG_7761.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 316
Upvote 44
It is an odd one. I wonder if it could have been off a black powder double barrel shotgun. Otherwise, it’s from a left handed rifle, which is a lot less common. The shape of the lock is really throwing me off though. Someone more knowledgeable though should be able to type it pretty specifically with it being as unique as it is.
 
I think the spun around idea is correct. I didn't notice it until it was cleaned up and Nathan made the comment. I think the hammer is for a percussion lock. If it is from a musket, it would have been a conversion from flintlock to percussion.
 
Finally got a musket part. I have the gun my grandfathers grandfather had but I found this piece myself. I'm proud. It should clean up nice I will post an after pic . Found at late 1800s site I been hitting on my lunch break in the heat. It paid off. I was about to abandon this place as done.
Pretty sweet Nathan! Congrats to you.
 
Does look flipped around now that you say that. It would still have been mounted on the left side of the barrel, and now looking at the shape of the lock, I suspect it is from a black powder shotgun. Shape is correct for it.
 
Without seeing Releantchairs post on the Dixie Gun works site, and that part being AVA. through them , this lock would be a definate "once in a life time find!" CONGRATS to you !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom