What's new

Buckle down Irene, I am coming **pictures added**

Frankn

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
8,779
Reaction score
2,989
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
MAN, that sounded like one of Peachie's intro's . I am going to Coin Beach In Del. to meet Irene.
She is going to clean the beach for me. Anyone else headed there? She is suppose to hit there Sun. at high noon. I will get there Sat at high noon and find something substantial to hide my MH behind, that is west of. I will probably spend the night behind the Home Depot near Lewis on RT. 1 and drive the short distance to the Inlet when the winds taper down. Well you only live once and at 74 I am pushing it. Frank
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Good luck Frank :icon_thumleft:, let us know what you find, but take care :thumbsup:


hammered
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

The same from here, too, Frank. Wishing you the best of luck with some very good finds.

But Be careful and do not take any unnecessary risks too early. Those hurricane winds have an awful

whallop.

Again, best of luck and take care.

Ray
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

I don't think this a very smart idea. Myself, I am leaving Annapolis for Bethany Beach, DE (about 5 miles south of Coin Beach) to board up my house.

Folks! This storm is not on to play around with.

The worst thing you can do is put somebody elses life in danger when they have to rescue you, because you did something stupid.
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

47th, Some people lead very cautious and sedate lives, and then there's my style. I will quote him again. James Dean-"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today." He didn't die slowly in a nursing home. He went out like a light! Frank




Hay it's back! I couldn't find it last time!
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Go for it Frank. I like your style and admire your spirit. :thumbsup: Just take the necessary precautions and have a back-up plan in case things get too hectic for you. Good luck and hope she cleans the beach well enough for you to do some cleaning up yourself. Keep us posted.
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

I guess I have always been a little adventures and I have the scars to prove it. It's starting to look worse and my son tells me to wait until it passes. The big problem is the mandatory evacuations and road blocks. I might have to wait until the eye passes. If the main roads are blocked, I have two alternate back road routes already planned. They can't block them all. Frank
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

I wish you safe passage and best of luck.

I guess my perspective comes from the fact that I rental home 2 blocks from the ocean in Bethany Beach, DE. Basically the only thing protecting our homes is a dune. If you are not familiar with the area its about 3 miles north of the Maryland line on the ocean. Now check the path of Irene and see why I'm concerned.

We spent all day yesterday putting up plywood on the windows. I will of course be on the beach with my excal, as soon as I possibly can.

Again I wish you well and please be safe
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Well, since discression is the better part of valor, I waited . I will be heading down tomorrow,Sunday, at app. highnoon. Will stay Sun and Mon. and if the pickins are good, longer.
If I find anything good or interesting, I will through it in this post for those following here. Frank
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

You will be lucky to get near there by Monday....
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Oh, I realize that, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the old saying goes. Frank
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

We have been watching trees go down all day, raining nice and hard,, big winds,, We lost power at 8:30 am so I am sure there will be no problems at the beach in Maryland,, We took all the power out of it here in Richmond! Good Luck,, Just a rain event there I bet. :-\ :dontknow:

This news has come in now,, anyone who does not have power now( I know no one who has power here), will be very lucky if we get power back within 2 weeks. Yeah, that is good times there!
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

darn right go for it!!!

let us know the 'rest of the story'
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Hay, I use to listen to Paul Harvey Too! I am here at the inlet. It is locked up. ie No open parking lots. Everyone is parking on the sholder and by everyone I mean the 20 some THs and a couple of beach combers. One TH, oviously new, is franticly digging after a couple of minutes I said, let me check it for you. I ran the PI over the area and heard the sound of silence. I told him there was nothing there, but he continued to dig. I moved on. I found some junk and an encrusted object about 6" in surface area. May be pot metal, may be silver. I will conserve it after I return on Mon. night.I will do before and after pics. Tomorrow I will put in about 8 hours on the beach. I have tons of food in nthe freezer but I usually eat at a restraunt if they let me park there for the night. Frank
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

You made the right decision I think! Although the impact seemed to be the coast, the worst was inland!, Good hunting!!!
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Maybe I sign them Frank because that is my name. Ever think of that?

The storm hit further west than they forcasted. My home in Md still has it's road blocked and power out, while here in De. I have seen no power outages and no damage except the dunes are gone. I have found a gold chain with a cross and football helmet with a star on it. I don't do football so I don't know the team. Oh, and a very old black nickel. Well back for 3 more hours of hunting. Frank yes that's right, FRANK
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Hello, Frank, my wife's brother lives in Dover and they seem to have made out
fairly well there. No loss of power and very little flooding around his place from
what told us on the phone. We followed Irene's path up the coastline off and on from the Weather Channel and it looked like Delaware was getting it as hard as
the other ones farther north.

Lots of luck on your hunting.

Ray
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Ray S S said:
Hello, Frank, my wife's brother lives in Dover and they seem to have made out
fairly well there. No loss of power and very little flooding around his place from
what told us on the phone. We followed Irene's path up the coastline off and on from the Weather Channel and it looked like Delaware was getting it as hard as
the other ones farther north.

Lots of luck on your hunting.

Ray

Darn it,, We live southwest of Richmond and lost power before it ever hit the Va border,, and we still do not have it! I knew we should have moved to the coast! :laughing7:
 
Re: Buckle down Irene, I am coming

Well I worked the beach for 2 days. Found my share of sinkers, fishhooks, rusted storm fence wire and posts. I din not find another hunter that admitted to finding a coin or anything of value and I talked to many. I found an unidentified gray metal object about 6" actoss, 1" thick, very rough serface, non iron, hard and heavy. took it to a metal shop and they could't identify the metal. I removed most of the crusted sand. Will Mild sand blast next. Will post picture later. Also found 14 kt gold chain with cross. It weightes .45 ozt. took it to a jewler and he offered me $198.48, but I figure that is only about 30% of the value. I would not take less than 50% of spot. Have to check around. will post a picture later.
The storm hit here worse than De. I saw no damage in De. except the dunes are gone! I returner home two days later and the power was still off. Came on the next day. We had downed trees, limbsand power poler all over the place. I really don't believe the storm track on TV was accurate. Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom