What's new

Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob 4 Reale 1620s

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone :hello:
Back to mid 30s here in New Hampshire and a fresh blanket of snow.
I spent 3 hours swinging at a snails pace pulling small deep targets from a site I've been hunting for a year now.
As darkness fell, the only keepers were an 1830 1 piece Eagle A with 'United**States**' backmark, toasted, and a piece of silver thimble.
Chilled to the bone, I was walking back to my truck swinging the detector as I went.
by chance I got 2 more targets, what appears to be a small brass telescope, and a thoroughly encrusted coin.
I've dug several like this, all from the same loose gravel and shell layer under the mud, after removing the crust I usually have a thin blank planchet. (see photo #8 )
On the drive home, I notice the object is not round and I flake a piece of the edge off.
I see what looks like the tab of a watch fob or medallion, darn!! it's not even a coin.
I arrive home and begin cleaning finds in the sink.
Rinsed everything but the 'watch fob', I consider taking a 'before' photo, then just rub it between my fingers under running water till the crust is mostly gone.
I look at it under the light and see THE CROSS :o
I so wish I had split the crust off carefully, there's a good chance I would have gotten 2 mirror images off of it.
I was able to recover one fragment with partial image from the sink.
The inside that was in contact with the silver is oily black & probably high silver content.
Still some detail hidden on this piece, (esp, the 'non cross' side, obverse/reverse, I don't know) but I'm not sure how to proceed with cleaning.
It weighs 10.7 grams, and rings like a bell when it touches the table.
judging by weight I think it's a worn 4 Reale.
I got my new 'Best Find' !! :hello2:
Anyone know an approximate date on this :icon_scratch:
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting to All :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,808
  • nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,807
  • nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22.webp
    nc finds 03-22.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,735
  • nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,757
  • nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,759
Upvote 0
Great finds man. I can't wait to get a cob (or break into the 1600's)
 
Yeah, Wow.

I won't bother to put that on my wish list, just be a waste of ink.
 
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Yeah, Wow.

I won't bother to put that on my wish list, just be a waste of ink.


Probably a waste of ink for one that big, but there is definitely cobs to be found.
 
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Yeah, Wow.

I won't bother to put that on my wish list, just be a waste of ink.
Not so quick Rick,
I have recovered a total of probably 10 silver coins so far,
then I happen to swing over this.
If I can find one, anyone can :hello:
 
Banner Cob :icon_king:

:hello2: Awesome :hello2:
 
Congrats on your first Cob!

A little light electrolysis will clean that black off as well if you happen on another one. Looks like a great site.
-Ev
 
It is still a good coin found far from home. :thumbsup:
H
 
Hello there, I see you are all talking about the cobs, but I noticed next to it in one photo is a gold ring with what looks like a reale, but with a gold tone. reason I ask is my wife and I found a #1 reale with all t's crossed and I's dotted but its gold.. Well , not being up on spanish silver and gold I took it to be an authentic peice. After some studying up and getting a pro opinion from this site I believe it to be gold plated reale or copy. It was mounted in a round frame for a pendant. I still love the coin and 1733 is a good year for me.

love this site, chris
 
kuntryboy_62 said:
Hello there, I see you are all talking about the cobs, but I noticed next to it in one photo is a gold ring with what looks like a reale, but with a gold tone. reason I ask is my wife and I found a #1 reale with all t's crossed and I's dotted but its gold.. Well , not being up on spanish silver and gold I took it to be an authentic peice. After some studying up and getting a pro opinion from this site I believe it to be gold plated reale or copy. It was mounted in a round frame for a pendant. I still love the coin and 1733 is a good year for me.

love this site, chris
Hi Chris,
Nowhere else compares to Tnet for getting your finds IDed ;D
The ring is a replica coin ring made from silver coins recovered from the 1622 wreck
of the 'Sao Jose' Spanish treasure carrack off Mozambique.
Bet your coin had your heart pounding!
Best Digs :thumbsup:
 
That's amazing!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom