What's new

Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob 4 Reale 1620s

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone :hello:
Back to mid 30s here in New Hampshire and a fresh blanket of snow.
I spent 3 hours swinging at a snails pace pulling small deep targets from a site I've been hunting for a year now.
As darkness fell, the only keepers were an 1830 1 piece Eagle A with 'United**States**' backmark, toasted, and a piece of silver thimble.
Chilled to the bone, I was walking back to my truck swinging the detector as I went.
by chance I got 2 more targets, what appears to be a small brass telescope, and a thoroughly encrusted coin.
I've dug several like this, all from the same loose gravel and shell layer under the mud, after removing the crust I usually have a thin blank planchet. (see photo #8 )
On the drive home, I notice the object is not round and I flake a piece of the edge off.
I see what looks like the tab of a watch fob or medallion, darn!! it's not even a coin.
I arrive home and begin cleaning finds in the sink.
Rinsed everything but the 'watch fob', I consider taking a 'before' photo, then just rub it between my fingers under running water till the crust is mostly gone.
I look at it under the light and see THE CROSS :o
I so wish I had split the crust off carefully, there's a good chance I would have gotten 2 mirror images off of it.
I was able to recover one fragment with partial image from the sink.
The inside that was in contact with the silver is oily black & probably high silver content.
Still some detail hidden on this piece, (esp, the 'non cross' side, obverse/reverse, I don't know) but I'm not sure how to proceed with cleaning.
It weighs 10.7 grams, and rings like a bell when it touches the table.
judging by weight I think it's a worn 4 Reale.
I got my new 'Best Find' !! :hello2:
Anyone know an approximate date on this :icon_scratch:
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting to All :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,808
  • nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,807
  • nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22.webp
    nc finds 03-22.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,735
  • nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,757
  • nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,759
Upvote 0
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Anniversary Present

Whoa ... a Spanish cob :o :headbang: :hello2: Good one Herbie
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Anniversary Present

WTG on the COb Brotha!
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Well that might be good enough for #3! :headbang:

I'm just having my first morning coffee, so maybe not quite with it... but that weight I think is a very in between weight as far as reales go. It looks pretty good but I don't understand the weight. (But i might soon - :coffee2: ;D)

2 minutes later and a couple more gulps of coffee and >>>> My best guess is it's a clipped 4 reale, and the shape does tend to indicate there is missing metal. Bigger cobs like that aren't posted much so I would call that your number 3, but don't expect it will stop anytime soon. Quite a year you're having.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Nice find!!! congrats on the cob! that is next on my list!
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Iron Patch said:
Well that might be good enough for #3! :headbang:

I'm just having my first morning coffee, so maybe not quite with it... but that weight I think is a very in between weight as far as reales go. It looks pretty good but I don't understand the weight. (But i might soon - :coffee2: ;D)

2 minutes later and a couple more gulps of coffee and >>>> My best guess is it's a clipped 4 reale, and the shape does tend to indicate there is missing metal. Bigger cobs like that aren't posted much so I would call that your number 3, but don't expect it will stop anytime soon. Quite a year you're having.
Thanks IP,
I Just keep Swingin, that's how to make the finds :icon_sunny:

Strange happenings with my scale :icon_scratch:
I put the coin back on, 10.7.
While i'm focusing my camera, I see it slowly count down to 10.3, I use this scale frequently, it has fresh batteries and I never saw it act like that.
Maybe it's as unacustomed as me to have hammered silver :laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-22 012.webp
    nc finds 03-22 012.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,623
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

steelheadwill said:
Iron Patch said:
Well that might be good enough for #3! :headbang:

I'm just having my first morning coffee, so maybe not quite with it... but that weight I think is a very in between weight as far as reales go. It looks pretty good but I don't understand the weight. (But i might soon - :coffee2: ;D)

2 minutes later and a couple more gulps of coffee and >>>> My best guess is it's a clipped 4 reale, and the shape does tend to indicate there is missing metal. Bigger cobs like that aren't posted much so I would call that your number 3, but don't expect it will stop anytime soon. Quite a year you're having.
Strange happenings with my scale :icon_scratch:
I put the coin back on, 10.7.
While i'm focusing my camera, I see it slowly count down to 10.3, I use this scale frequently, it has fresh batteries and I never saw it act like that.
Maybe it's as unacustomed as me to have hammered silver :laughing7:


Still way under.



* 8 Reales (cob) = 27.3 grams [0.96 ounces] (also known as Pieces of Eight)
* 4 Reales (cob) = 13.65 grams [0.48 ounces]
* 2 Reales (cob) = 6.825 grams [0.24 ounces]
* 1 Real (cob) = 3.4125 grams [0.12 ounces]
* 1/2 Real (cob) = 1.70625 grams [0.06 ounces]
* 1/4 Real (cob) = 0.853125 grams [0.03 ounces]
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Thanks For the Info & Links !!
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

steelheadwill said:
Thanks For the Info & Links !!
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:
Thanks For the Info & Links !!
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Timekiller said:
Killer Herbie,
You strike again. :wink: Loving the cob man and yes it's a little lite for a four but not uncommon.And think that's what it is. :thumbsup: Looks like phillip IV.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction8/shipwreck1.htm

Yes, I think you're right on with the id Pete... It's looks just like the cross on my Philip IV.. NH gives up a mid-1600's silver :o :o :o :o You are on freakin fire man :notworthy:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:
Thanks For the Info & Links !!
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.
Also lot # 585 Herbie looks like your to the tee as far as I can tell even the same weight. :wink:
Yes Ip,
Not something I see much at all on here & I'll look for the avatar.Can't place it right off :icon_scratch: But the only others are ones like that site salvaged from ship wrecks that I see.
Take Care,
Pete, :coffee2: :hello:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

I'm gonna pop you a Banner Vote for that one Herbie. :headbang: Even though I've missed it myself a couple times with cobs :laughing9: Maybe the banner train will find it's way to you. :laughing7:
Take Care,
Pete, :wink: :D :hello:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:
Thanks For the Info & Links !!
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.
Also lot # 585 Herbie looks like your to the tee as far as I can tell even the same weight. :wink:
Yes Ip,
Not something I see much at all on here & I'll look for the avatar.Can't place it right off :icon_scratch: But the only others are ones like that site salvaged from ship wrecks that I see.
Take Care,
Pete, :coffee2: :hello:


He's from NJ I believe, and it looks kinda green in the picture..... you will know him and it when you see! I'd find it, but have to get a few things done. He'll probably see this post anyway.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Timekiller said:
steelheadwill said:
Thanks For the Info & Links !!
Notice the weight on lot #540 9.8 :D
Take Care & it's a great find you got there 4's don't turn up often. :headbang: May be the first I've seen on here that I know of.(cob wise)
Pete, :hello:

Seen one other which is his avatar, and now that I said it, you'll remember or notice when you see a post. I'm not good remembering user names but he is a regular on here.
Also lot # 585 Herbie looks like your to the tee as far as I can tell even the same weight. :wink:
Yes Ip,
Not something I see much at all on here & I'll look for the avatar.Can't place it right off :icon_scratch: But the only others are ones like that site salvaged from ship wrecks that I see.
Take Care,
Pete, :coffee2: :hello:


He's from NJ I believe, and it looks kinda green in the picture..... you will know him and it when you see! I'd find it, but have to get a few things done. He'll probably see this post anyway.
I think I know who your speaking of N.J.Ther he's in herbies other post next one down in todays finds about the silver chinese coin.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Hello,
Congrats on the cob. I've found two cobs. One on dry land which came out nice and silver and the other on a salt water beach which was black. I did not clean either anymore then just running them underwater. I love the way they both came out of the ground and when I speak to people about them they always ask why they are so different. I think it is the lighting that makes the avatar look greenish but I'm also color deficient so I could be wrong...lol.

NJ
 

Attachments

  • Both Cobs.webp
    Both Cobs.webp
    30 KB · Views: 1,448
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

N.J.THer said:
Hello,
Congrats on the cob. I've found two cobs. One on dry land which came out nice and silver and the other on a salt water beach which was black. I did not clean either anymore then just running them underwater. I love the way they both came out of the ground and when I speak to people about them they always ask why they are so different. I think it is the lighting that makes the avatar look greenish but I'm also color deficient so I could be wrong...lol.

NJ


Unless they are 4 reales you are not the guy. :laughing7: Too many people from NJ finding cobs!
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Iron Patch said:
N.J.THer said:
Hello,
Congrats on the cob. I've found two cobs. One on dry land which came out nice and silver and the other on a salt water beach which was black. I did not clean either anymore then just running them underwater. I love the way they both came out of the ground and when I speak to people about them they always ask why they are so different. I think it is the lighting that makes the avatar look greenish but I'm also color deficient so I could be wrong...lol.

NJ


Unless they are 4 reales you are no the guy. :laughing7: Too many people from NJ finding cobs!

Can I add them together? :wink: No they are not 4 reales...I have to leave something to find later in life.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Oh where or where has my spanish cob been lost at? Never found any cob, guess I need to look deeper. Nice work. :hello2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom