What's new

Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob 4 Reale 1620s

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Everyone :hello:
Back to mid 30s here in New Hampshire and a fresh blanket of snow.
I spent 3 hours swinging at a snails pace pulling small deep targets from a site I've been hunting for a year now.
As darkness fell, the only keepers were an 1830 1 piece Eagle A with 'United**States**' backmark, toasted, and a piece of silver thimble.
Chilled to the bone, I was walking back to my truck swinging the detector as I went.
by chance I got 2 more targets, what appears to be a small brass telescope, and a thoroughly encrusted coin.
I've dug several like this, all from the same loose gravel and shell layer under the mud, after removing the crust I usually have a thin blank planchet. (see photo #8 )
On the drive home, I notice the object is not round and I flake a piece of the edge off.
I see what looks like the tab of a watch fob or medallion, darn!! it's not even a coin.
I arrive home and begin cleaning finds in the sink.
Rinsed everything but the 'watch fob', I consider taking a 'before' photo, then just rub it between my fingers under running water till the crust is mostly gone.
I look at it under the light and see THE CROSS :o
I so wish I had split the crust off carefully, there's a good chance I would have gotten 2 mirror images off of it.
I was able to recover one fragment with partial image from the sink.
The inside that was in contact with the silver is oily black & probably high silver content.
Still some detail hidden on this piece, (esp, the 'non cross' side, obverse/reverse, I don't know) but I'm not sure how to proceed with cleaning.
It weighs 10.7 grams, and rings like a bell when it touches the table.
judging by weight I think it's a worn 4 Reale.
I got my new 'Best Find' !! :hello2:
Anyone know an approximate date on this :icon_scratch:
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting to All :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    nc finds 03-22 011.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,835
  • nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    nc finds 03-22 008.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,757
  • nc finds 03-22.webp
    nc finds 03-22.webp
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,735
  • nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    nc finds 03-22 009.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,797
  • nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    nc finds 03-22 010.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,808
  • nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    nc finds 03-22 004.webp
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,807
  • nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    nc finds 03-22 006.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    nc finds 03-22 007.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,799
  • nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    nc finds 03-22 003.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,759
Upvote 0
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

:thumbsup:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

What are you going to find next Herbie? Great coin. Not too many of them in Tennessee. WTG, Quindy.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

:o :o :o

I love those Cobs :o :o the random shapes and the designs :o :o wish we had them here....well more of them anyway :-\ super find :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Congrats on that 4 reale cob Herbie! The variety of finds you come up with is amazing :headbang: And to think you have only been detecting for one year :notworthy:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Great cob Herbie. You are going to hit the mother load in the near future. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Congrats on your four reales. My first and only cob came from a old tavern site. I was told that the 4 reales was the rarest of all the denominations for any given year.
 

Attachments

  • Cob 1.webp
    Cob 1.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,219
  • cob 2.webp
    cob 2.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Cob 1.webp
    Cob 1.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cob 2.webp
    cob 2.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,206
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Thanks everyone!
Great information & Comments :icon_sunny:
I also posted in the Cobs forum, Thanks Realewatcher.
Charlene, this piece was only 4-6" down, so depth didn't help here, Hope you get one!
I chose to toothbrush and sponge this.
Got more detail and if it lost value that's ok, it won't be sold.
I'm happy with the results.
Realewatcher says that's an IV in the top right of the shield.
Best Digs to You All & HH :hello:
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 3-22 001.webp
    NC FINDS 3-22 001.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • NC FINDS 3-22 002.webp
    NC FINDS 3-22 002.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,246
  • NC FINDS 3-22 002.webp
    NC FINDS 3-22 002.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,237
  • NC FINDS 3-22 001.webp
    NC FINDS 3-22 001.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,235
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

That is a amazing cob your running the full gambit :icon_thumleft: 17th to 20th century finds in 1 post Great hunt :thumbsup: Jim
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

artyfacts said:
Congrats on your four reales. My first and only cob came from a old tavern site. I was told that the 4 reales was the rarest of all the denominations for any given year.


Ah there it is. It didn't even hit me that you changed your avatar. And yes, there's a lot less 4 reales around above ground so I'm sure it's the same thing below.
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob (newpix)

so cool congrats
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob (newpix)

Herbie,
If this was Digging with the Stars, you'de be a winner. :laughing7:
You just amaze the heck out of me with what you find on a daily basis. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Doug
 

Attachments

  • 10 10 10.webp
    10 10 10.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,150
  • 10 10 10.webp
    10 10 10.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,148
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob (newpix)

Another WOW hunt for you :wav: :wav:
 
Re: Caba De Barra: Spanish Silver Cob

Silver Searcher said:
:o :o :o

I love those Cobs :o :o the random shapes and the designs :o :o wish we had them here....well more of them anyway :-\ super find :icon_thumleft:

SS
Agreed SS,
The uneven thickness, and odd shapes make each rather unique.
my post title 'End of the Bar' relating to how they're made, sliced from a bar & hammered with the dies,
I would love to know the stories this could tell. especially who the last person to hold it was. Thanks to all & HH :thumbsup:
 
very nice herbie! the closest ive come is a 1 reale 1726 pistareen (has a cross) found at a colonial homesite. ;D willy
 
That is amazing man! :headbang:
 
Nice Cob, way to go.
 
Hi Herbie!
I'm late to the party that I was hunting .
Congratulations on your first Cob .... the first bez never forgets. :laughing7:
I vote Banner! :hello2:
Greetings.
 
Hi Herbie :hello: Sorry I'm so late on getting in on this . . . been out-of-town as you already know. Man you just keep finding the best stuff that NH has to offer don't you! :notworthy:

Congratulations on another great find buddy!
Dave
 
WOW...don't know how I missed this one! Huge congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom