Calling all marines, where and when did you go to bootcamp?

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MCRD

Drill SGT "drop down and give 1000 pushups."
Me: "But Sir I can't do that many pushups!"
Drill SGT "Well, do them until you drop dead!"

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MCRD

Drill SGT "drop down and give 1000 pushups."
Me: "But Sir I can't do that many pushups!"
Drill SGT "Well, do them until you drop dead!"
"There's no such word as can't! Can't means won't and you wil! Fifty more in the pit! Ready! Begin!

Born at Pendleton boot at MCRD

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There's no such word as can't! Can't means won't and you wil! Fifty more in the pit! Ready! Begin!

Born at Pendleton boot at MCRD
Never knew of a Marine veteran to call his Boot Camp mentors "Drill Sgts." The proper term is Drill Instructor. Calling a Drill Instructor Drill Sgt.will earn you a trip to the pit for squat thrusts until your Drill Instructor gets tired. Just saying! That,s one you don,t forget.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was beat to the punch. One of the worst things a recruit could do is slip up and call his Drill Instructor a drill sgt.
Boot Camp Parris Island, S.C. 2nd Bn. Recruit Training Bn. Plt. 217 D Co. 06 Feb. - 04 May 1976. Armorer School Aberdeen Maryland Proving Ground, then back to Parris Island where I worked for 3 years as a Small Arms Infantry Repairman, or Armorer in Weapons Training Bn. I worked there mainly on D line on the rifle range.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or did you spend the first two phases in PCP platoon? Lifting all those sand filled fire buckets has a tendency to dull your memory a bit.
Funny how sand has such a prominent place in Marine Corps motivational routines,like sand filled backpacks or simply sandbags with straps. Often used to help the forgetful to remember that it,s Drill instructor and not Drill Sgt.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was beat to the punch. One of the worst things a recruit could do is slip up and call his Drill Instructor a drill sgt.
Yep that'd get you the ultimate threat. "You wanna be a T 1 drop girls?" That threat would give the toughest recruit the shivers especially in third phase....

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The "Gunny," R. Lee Army (RIP), nailed the Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket. He was a Drill Instructor for real during the Vietnam War. Who in the world could truly portray a Marine Corps Drill Instructor but the real deal, and the "Gunny" surely was. Semper Fi!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Gunny," R. Lee Army (RIP), nailed the Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket. He was a Drill Instructor for real during the Vietnam War. Who in the world could truly portray a Marine Corps Drill Instructor but the real deal, and the "Gunny" surely was. Semper Fi!
Indeed he was! Rest in Peace R.Lee. Semper Fi!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread