diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we haven't heard from stever the starter of this hodgepodge,I don't believe it deserves anymore time or energy.If the starter can't reply after a hundred and something replies to his own thread and add something to the mix,then drop it until he does.Why bother? He is the only one that could add something "positive" to this debacle anymore. ::) It's beyond ridiculous.This should apply to other posts as well,where the starter of the thread doesn't reply after "too" many replies to a photo of a "whatsit".Why go back and forth at one another,it doesn't make sense. ??? btw-If you look at his recent posts you can see he hasn't posted since this thread and doesn't reply for a month sometimes.Let it rest until then.If there is anything to add (which there is) i'm sure he's the one that can and should do it. :) Can't we all just get along? ;D I would say something else,but i'll wait for now. :o You can delete this too if need be since it doesn't directly apply to the topic at hand.Of course I would hope this wouldn't be the only one deleted from this thread. Peace.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=diggummup . Peace.

CHEEEKEN! hehhehe

Many things grow beyond the originator's intentions.

Frankly, I was fascinated by the different forms of intellect and reasoning used in attempting to solve the problem, was impressed.

Let's get another started huh?

Tropical Tramp.

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
I'm with you Tapioca

I'm gonna head off to the old family farm this weekend and see if I can't find some obscure old tool type thing to post here.

Frankly, I enjoy the exchange, and the various lines of reasoning that drive towards some form of solution.

Diggem'

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diving doc said:
It should be obvious by this time that if you were all certain of the identification you wouldn't be going to all this trouble trying to get me to agree with you.

Ditto trying to redress past errors of judgement that rankle.

Me, I don't care about when I'm wrong. I admit it and go on. That's why I am continuing to learn and not getting wrapped up in my own ego.

Guys and girls, whatever they tried to use the tool for, however badly, it's design and function were engineered for a specific job, and as is noted by the Ebay copy, they don't know for sure either. None of what has been presented represents an unequivocal identification,
that much is obvious.

Doc

Doc,

You have to come up with some kind of facts to back up your statements. Chagy presented 2 examples of items that were of similar design. The ebay item is as close of a match as we are going to see. You can't just say "that's not it" without backing it up with facts. I'm sorry, but you saying function design no good, or whatever doesn't cut it. Until someone has facts to show that this is something other than a come along fence stretcher puller, that's what it will be in my book.

John

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggemall said:
I'm with you Tapioca

I'm gonna head off to the old family farm this weekend and see if I can't find some obscure old tool type thing to post here.

Frankly, I enjoy the exchange, and the various lines of reasoning that drive towards some form of solution.

Diggem'
I tried that,PBK had it id'd in minutes! lol-see "rusty chain thing"

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Since we haven't heard from stever the starter of this hodgepodge,I don't believe it deserves anymore time or energy.If the starter can't reply after a hundred and something replies to his own thread and add something to the mix,then drop it until he does.Why bother? He is the only one that could add something "positive" to this debacle anymore. ::) It's beyond ridiculous.This should apply to other posts as well,where the starter of the thread doesn't reply after "too" many replies to a photo of a "whatsit".Why go back and forth at one another,it doesn't make sense. ??? btw-If you look at his recent posts you can see he hasn't posted since this thread and doesn't reply for a month sometimes.Let it rest until then.If there is anything to add (which there is) i'm sure he's the one that can and should do it. :) Can't we all just get along? ;D I would say something else,but i'll wait for now. :o You can delete this too if need be since it doesn't directly apply to the topic at hand.Of course I would hope this wouldn't be the only one deleted from this thread. Peace.
ABSOLUTELY

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
IMHO

As 'skidding tongs' the handle would be unneccesary - purchase and tension could be achieved by pulling on the loop between the legs. Also, I suspect the points on the legs would likely be shaped more to gain direct purchase into the log rather than to receive a chain. Using any grip on the side of a log, rather than in line with the end of it would cause the log to careen as it is being dragged - increasingly so as the diameter of the log increases, with large logs being the only justification I can think of for using a chain instead of a direct grip. The only way to avoid careening would be to have the pulling force either somewhat above the log (hard to do with large logs) or very low to the ground (hard on the tool)

As a lifting or carrying tool, the handle would need to extend in both directions, otherwise leverage would be in favor of the load, not the user.

A load binder ? Possibly, although a load binder would not require three points of attachment.

To my minds eye, even w/o the spring, the best functional match is still chagy's "come-along", although I would welcome any evidence to the contrary.

Diggem'

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Here's another item from eBay.
A "Completed" eBay auction for the same item as Chagy's from a different seller.
More fence stretcher reference data.

Auction verbiage:
"This Woven Wire Fence Stretcher came from an old Kansas sheep ranch, This stretcher is in working condition all it needs is the wood pole or handle, This is a great old collectible tool from the past and still works great to stretch fence. Buyer to pay shipping cost. "
completed auction - link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cast-Ir...oryZ1461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BDoo

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool BDoo and here are examples of why it cant be the Dog...different set of works...still a good guess on Gypsy's part....

Attachments

• Log-Jack-Lg.jpg
    Log-Jack-Lg.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 415
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
diving doc said:
Boobydoo said:
A "Completed" eBay auction for the same item as Chagy's from a different seller.

Auction verbiage:
"This Woven Wire Fence Stretcher came from an old Kansas sheep ranch, This stretcher is in working condition all it needs is the wood pole or handle, This is a great old collectible tool from the past and still works great to stretch fence. Buyer to pay shipping cost. "
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cast-Ir...oryZ1461QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BDoo

O.K., Now I'm confused. How did that caption get on Chagy's picture??? Or is this another example of an Ebay mis-identification??
Doc

Hi Doc

Yes, this is another completely different auction item other than Chagy's.
It is NOT Chagy's picture.
I found this one also during my research today.

Mis-identification??? your opinion, which is fine by me.
To me, the seller's auction verbiage is too specific to be a wrong ID. But who will EVER know for sure.

Quoting the seller...
"This Woven Wire Fence Stretcher came from an old Kansas sheep ranch,"
paraphrasing...
This particular device WAS used on a Kansas sheep ranch for stretching Woven Wire Fences.

Quoting the seller...
"This is a great old collectible tool from the past and still works great to stretch fence."
paraphrasing...
This device CAN be used to stretch a fence.

Your varied opinions do have merit, I will admit that for sure.

This second piece of "data" suggests that these implements are indeed at least sometimes used as "Fence Stretchers"
That's my opinion at least.

If Stever , the thread starter, would be so kind to stop in and reply, his comments on where this came from could end this debate forever.

I have researched this for at least 10 hours and couldn't find any hard data to contridict this fence stretcher theory, or directly support another varied use, although I think many would agree, there is a possibility that other uses could be possible with this robust looking winch tool.

Hang in there Doc!

Smiles!
BDoo

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
diving doc said:
Just one more thing and I'll quit. Why haven't we ever heard from the "Original Poster" nor gotten any measurements or other views of the object? Seems like pretty important intel. This kind of thing has happened several times recently. I mean unknown almost brand new poster who mysteriously shows up goes silent and isn't heard from during the thread. What do you think?
Regards,
Doc

I think lock the thread. If he doesn't care, why should we?
But then again, we'll will be missing all this fun...lol.

Cheers!
BDoo

Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Brief and partial reply: (I gotta get back to work)

Logging tongs - no handles (as the log being dragged or lifted tends to have a mind of its own, the handle would become a major hazard)

Handled tools are cants, or Peaveys (also a brand name) or dogs, etc. Yep, there are carriers too but check the hook form - pointed to dig in to the log. http://www.peaveymfg.com/loggingtools.htm http://www.logrite.com/

I still side with this being a come-along of sorts. Yep, a 6 foot handle might make it unwieldy, but like choking up on a bat, the full length might only be needed for that last grunting pull, too.

Wish we could find SOMEONE who can say "heck, we use one of them all the time for..........." I'll try posting to a couple of the farm-type sites I nose around in later this evening.

Diggem'

Attachments

• TongwRing.jpg
    TongwRing.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
Boobydoo said:

Auction verbiage:

BDoo
O.K. then, so tell me what woven wire is all about, please. Seems to me you'd pull it apart without some sort of pole thru it to distribute the strain. Anybody? woven wire? I just don't trust the Ebay ID any more than SWR. As a fence pulling come-along our object makes a Chinese windlass look like a better bet. Gotta be a better explanation for the designed function of our whatsit. The net profit from the sale of these as "fence stretchers", in a year, wouldn't feed a family of four. What do you think of it's efficiency? Remember no spring, and they been around a long time. Why no spring to keep the pawls close together? Same function as those posted by PBK and Chagy?? I don't even think that it's even possible given the distance of throw and the necessary separation created by the spring.

Doc

The spring doesn't separate the arms. It keeps them coming back together. Easier for one man to operate. You are correct that you can't just hook this up to a woven fence. If you read my earlier posts, and the series of pictures I posted, you will see that it is a "Stretcher bar puller" (see my post# 101 on page2).

Doesn't matter how long the handle is. The basic mechanics of every item pictured by Chagy, me, and whomever else is exactly the same. It is a stretcher bar puller for woven wire fencing. Go to post# 121 to see the pictures of how it works.

I spent a lot of time looking at skidding tools, railroad tools, logging tools, and fencing tools. The only things that used the same mechanism were some of the fencing tools.

Give it up Doc. This time you are mistaken!

Mike

Mike

Attachments

• GermanSurrender2.jpg
    GermanSurrender2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 342
  • GermanSurrender2.jpg
    GermanSurrender2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 0

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Doc;

As much as I bow to Gypsy's infinite wisdom, I cannot agree that this had anything to do with the cutting/hauling/dragging/processing of timber in any way other than the remote possibility of its use as a load binder. Handling timber requires sharp points to gain a bite on the log, and this toy lacks those.

Again, see the links I provided in my previous post regarding logging tools.

BTW - the same tools are used for handling logs in the mill. Once they are 'slabbed' the boards are handled much more gingerly.

Diggem'

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
diving doc said:
I thought something like that might be possible, logging tool, cinch it down, using all that leverage and then lock it but the jaws are apparantly so small, itty bitty chain. We don't have any size. Original poster has disappeared. No pictures, no measurements. Very Strange.

Doc

I wasn't thinking of cinching it down, just take up the slack while man #2 hooks a boomer into place to finish tightening the load. ??? Oh well.

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc,

Actually there are detents for holding it in place. Look again at the picture. Smaller, yes, but in the same position as in Chagy's example. There are, however two different ways to hold your place. Built into the design are the small holes. The holes should be continued through the handle, so as to insert a nail or pin to keep the handle from going back

The other way is to cinch up the fence, push the handle perpindicular to the fence, and wrap the chain around both the fence and the handle.

The only reason that springs are on the newer model is to make it easier to work by yourself.

Here's a simple test for you to do Doc, Mentally disassemble the device (two arms with clawed ends, the loop in the center that loops around behind the head, the holes in the head, the handle on one side only). Now, apply all those parts to Chagy's device. Are they all there? YES! Apply them all to ANY version of Timber Tongs you can find. Are they all there? Not at all. Apply them to any RR Tools you can find. Are they all there? No again!

Springs or no springs. You are arguing minutia. EVERY SINGLE PIECE THAT IS ON THE OLD ONE IS ALSO ON THE NEWER MODEL. YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT YOUR RR OR LOGGING TOOLS! You may never find absolute proof, but this is "A Preponderance of Evidence." I would feel confident taking this case into court! ;D ;D

Mike

Upvote 0

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
diving doc said:
diggemall said:
Gonna add to the mix - here's what it would look like going through its motions under tension

Unlike the other stretchers, this one's handle extends through the head and would inhibit the range of motion for the arm on the right side. Kinda impractical for pulling two wires together to be joined if they wind up so out of line.

Just my two cents worth

Diggem'

Then first look at the link I posted on fencing tools. It shows everything and I have stretched fences. Check out the pix. Pulling single strands of wire, barbed or other, uses another type of tool, different from stretching wire fence as night and day. Just for starters, there's a lot of pulling to get a tight fence that will stand.

Doc

Its a wire fence stretcher and you can also use it on chain link with an accessory rod with attached chains. Both arms are slotted on the ends so that small chain (we used to use dog chain) will catch in the slots in the end. On chain link fence you drop a rod down the links vertically on the two pieces you want to stretch together and then use tie sections of chain (dog chain) to the hook. Do the same on both sides. Then you heave the leaver over and now it is about 90 degrees out from the fence. With the fence tight you now weave the two sections together with a single strand of the chain link fence, release the toggle back and now the fence is tight and woven together. My Dad has one and I used it to put the fence around the corral with it. You can also use it to pull two pieces of barbed wire together when you use the slit in the hook arm to snatch on one of the barb clusters on the barb wire. You can get some 6 plus inches of pull. When the two strands are now pulled closer together and parallel you can wrap then together and use the barbs on each strand as locks so it won't slide back against each other. I have strung LOTS of barbed wire using the same design tool. Sears and Montgomery Wards used to sell them. The one with the rotten wood on it is an inexpensive version. BTW you can also use it as a universal tool to lift full field spools of barbed wire off a truck with an old cable or rope block and tackle. That is why there is the rounded bail on top. You can hook the arms on the coil of wire and then yank it off of or onto a truck with it. If you ever tried to pick up a 100 pound flat coil of barbed wire you would know !!

Zobex.

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's for tightening telegraph lines .

Attachments

• 250px-Poci%C4%85g_sieciowy_pod_%C5%81owiczem.jpg
    250px-Poci%C4%85g_sieciowy_pod_%C5%81owiczem.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread