Capped Bust Half Dime!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
hey everyone! i havn't been checking in like i used to, mainly because i rarely get out anymore due to other stuff going on. i made it a point to get out today for a few hours and i am glad i did! i was hunting a wooded area that has been known to produce good stuff in the past. like every other place of this type, it has been hit hard over the years, but i decided to slow way down and really investigate every signal. the first decent signal of the day was a 59 Roosevelt dime. not earth shattering but silver is always a good thing! a few wheat cents later i got an OK sounding signal that was pretty tough to pinpoint. i finally was able to locate the target and up came a small silver disc. judging by the size i thought it must have been a half Real but when i washed it off i saw the good old American Eagle on the reverse! turned out it is an 1836 Capped Bust half dime! (my first Capped Bust coin by the way!) needless to say i was pretty stoked about that. another wheat cent and a crusty old nickle later i found a 1918 Merc. one of the good things about hunting on the East coast is that sometimes really old things seem to be in places where they have no business being! i am guessing this area was probably just a farm field in the 1830s and this was just a random dropped coin. i guess luck was on my side today! anyway thanks for looking. hope everyone around here is doing OK.

Attachments

• 04-10-2011 03;33;02PM.jpg
    04-10-2011 03;33;02PM.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 894
  • 04-10-2011 03;08;56PM.jpg
    04-10-2011 03;08;56PM.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 872
  • 04-10-2011 03;11;30PM.jpg
    04-10-2011 03;11;30PM.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 874
Upvote 0
Re: good day today!

Fantastic coin, dude. I say banner too! Way to go.

Super find Red, glad to see you get out and double nice to get a Bust coin!

Don

Great capped bust. :icon_thumright:

Now I'm jealous. LOL!! Great finds!

Nice recoveries :icon_thumleft:

That's a great coin! I am still looking for my first bust silver AND my first half dime :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back