What's new

Car/battery/oil finally Froze :(

If you do get it warmed up.Use something like this to keep the heat as long as possible.>> Insulated Moving Blanket

Once in awhile we get zero and below temperatures. When I had to go to work, I used to stick a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator. This helps when driving....that cold air keeps the temperature down and the heater cool. Just keep an eye on the temp. gauge. Never had a problem with it overheating....most diesels engines have a "bra" that fits over the front end, which is kind of what this imitates.
 
had battery problems this year myself, first the wife's ford focus ,6 year old battery crapped out ....you would think it would have made it to at least 6 1/2 , lol...then two weeks later my junk mobile's battery went...I just didn't have it in me to dish out another 100+ dollars for a battery so off to the local auto wreckers ,$30 and a 90 day warranty , I feel good about that one ...so far so good with the 10 month old used battery....as far as oil the focus takes 5-20 which is like water to start with ,so no problems with thick oil on that car and all my life I always changed oil to 10-30 for the winter , never had problems in the cold as far as oil
 
Battery Tender Junior/12V 750mA. I've got one on boat, quad and truck. Trickle charges on and off...keeps battery up for starting. Works great!!
 
Think we better get use to it.Forecast says this deep freeze is hanging around thru this week & next week:(
 
though every time there is an update it changes here

looks like first chance of any warmth may be tomorrow.

then the next .... Monday.

changesoften.webp

if the sun melts the snow/ice off the windows I'll walk out and try.
if not, I'm going to need to see sun and at least mid 20's

DSCF0004.webp


it's gone up about 9 degrees since daybreak here today

11 Now

000000000jkl.webp

But was painful Just stepping out to Snap pic
 
I knew a guy who had one of those dip stick heaters and they worked very well. Good battery helps a lot. I run synthetic oil, I think 5w-30, and that works here in the mountains. Your next option would be to get a better vehicle, possibly a new Chevy truck, haha! Actually here in the mountains you see a lot more Subarus (unofficial state car of Colorado) and they do well, and have a high re-sale value even with high mileage. Surprisingly, KIA's are pretty popular and they seem to perform well in our driving conditions. You do not see any YUGOs or GEOs though.
 
Many years ago, I used to keep my battery in the house until I needed to go somewhere

Yup, that's what I do when my battery starts giving me grief in the cold. I place it on the floor in front of a steam radiator. Toasty warm when I put it back in the car. Pain to do every day, but it buys you time if you can't afford $100 for a new battery that week.
 
I knew a guy who had one of those dip stick heaters and they worked very well. Good battery helps a lot. I run synthetic oil, I think 5w-30, and that works here in the mountains. Your next option would be to get a better vehicle, possibly a new Chevy truck, haha! Actually here in the mountains you see a lot more Subarus (unofficial state car of Colorado) and they do well, and have a high re-sale value even with high mileage. Surprisingly, KIA's are pretty popular and they seem to perform well in our driving conditions. You do not see any YUGOs or GEOs though.

Second that on Chevy truck :):)2010_1110Mttohuntdeer4th0004.webp
 
Guess that's what we call Global Warming!!! Growing up in Minnesota, a week long of -25F or worse was the norm in late January. I had to park my '62 chevy outside and was always thankful when it would start on those lovely mornings. I would put an old metal pot filled with burning charcoal under the oil pan all night. One morning when it was -35F, I put the key in the ignition, turned the key and the engine started! I was so happy, I sat back in the driver's seat and the entire top section of the vinyl set exploded like it had been dipped in liquid nitrogen! Great memories!!!
 
11-8b.webpThis is more what I had in mind for Jeff, RTR. He'd look good cruising in that!
 
Hey everybody be nice It got up to 17 today so my buddy and I went out detecting. We had no problem getting the relics out of the frozen tundra. Got 2 minie balls, 2 pieces of a brass curry comb, another round from a Thompson sub machine gun, boy they must have had fun there once upon a time ago, some shotgun bases, two colonial large sized shots and trash.

Note: We did not get cold and the secret to getting the relics out of the frozen ground is to leave the shovel at home and bring a pick. That's the secret. Yes, we're hard headed. But a day off is a day off. Also went to the beach, which was also frozen and got 3 cents and a small gold bead.

Jeff, the auto parts stores sell engine block warmers. A narrow rod you stick in the dipstick hole and plug in to 110v and it will warm the oil so the car will start. My son in law lived in Montreal, so I know all about them.
 
I'll have to do the 2 - 30 minute warmups a day once I get it started.
Unless the Garage says it's my Battery.
The Battery looks New.
it never actually turned over.
it sounded like My engine was filed with penutbutter
it Turned part way Froze fast & the batter just Clicked after.

Of course I'll also get a Oil change while having my Battery Checked.

Right Now, I have enough Food, soda, coffee and drinking water
to last me till Mid January. after that my bread will be the first thing to go
will probably be bread in about 10 - 20 days
depending if I decide to ration to 1 slice a day.
right now I don't see reason to worry.

just disappointed 8-)

Look on the bright side Jeff. You're learning how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse! Now get some lumber, nails, and a hammer to cover the windows and you'll be in like Flynn!:hello:
 
Hey everybody be nice It got up to 17 today so my buddy and I went out detecting. We had no problem getting the relics out of the frozen tundra. Got 2 minie balls, 2 pieces of a brass curry comb, another round from a Thompson sub machine gun, boy they must have had fun there once upon a time ago, some shotgun bases, two colonial large sized shots and trash.

Note: We did not get cold and the secret to getting the relics out of the frozen ground is to leave the shovel at home and bring a pick. That's the secret. Yes, we're hard headed. But a day off is a day off. Also went to the beach, which was also frozen and got 3 cents and a small gold bead.

Jeff, the auto parts stores sell engine block warmers. A narrow rod you stick in the dipstick hole and plug in to 110v and it will warm the oil so the car will start. My son in law lived in Montreal, so I know all about them.


yea I'm aware of them.
Used one in the 70,s Now it would take me a 200 foot + cord.

also for some reason, I stopped using it.
may have been better temps, or may have been an almost fire :dontknow:
 
Last edited:
200 foot is too long. Really. Got a generator and do you live on a mountain top? I live in a valley. Snow likes to pile up down here. A lot.
 
200 foot is too long. Really. Got a generator and do you live on a mountain top? I live in a valley. Snow likes to pile up down here. A lot.

Yes I live on Top.

I used to have electric all the way out back but many years of weather have
made it necessary to disconnect it last year, after it failed.

I haven't decided if buying a few 100 foot extension cords is a smart thing or not
 
Last edited:
Wow! I can't do heights. Case in point, once upon a time ago I climbed a mountain and threw up when I got to the top. Then detected.
 
Wow! I can't do heights. Case in point, once upon a time ago I climbed a mountain and threw up when I got to the top. Then detected.

LOL I don't think this mountain is high enough for that.
I've had Ears popping but that's it.


many years ago there was a Sign up the road here said "Big Lick Mountain"
and I think it said 1,460 Feet above sea level.
 
The "mount" I'm referring to is only about 1000' from the base. There is or rather was a trail, but dummy here climbed the face.
 
Same here slow crank cough lurch put put put
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom