Colonial Finds-Stuart Crystal Cufflink, Silver Bodkin, Spanish & Lib. Seated Silver

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Finds-Stuart Crystal Cufflink, Silver Bodkin, Spanish & Lib. Seated Silver

I recovered these finds over the past few weeks. I’ve found my share of better finds over the years, but they never came easy. Such finds came very slowly and with lots of effort; however, my searching over the past year has been very rewarding. I’m enjoying every minute of it. I’m hopeful that the steady flow of recoveries continues. Here is what I found –

I initially thought it was tinfoil when spotting the flash of silver in the grass roots, but it was a Stuart Crystal cufflink from the mid-18th Century in the dark soil. It’s a silver cufflink with crystal stones over delicate gold wire thin as hair. I can hardly believe that they weren’t done in by a plow, as I’ve found small 17th Century spur buckles broken in half and 1/3 fragments on this site. The stones are crystal clear – not a scratch on them.

P6280008.JPG

P6280009.JPG

P6280045.JPG

P7020110.JPG

P6280058.JPG

Twenty minutes after digging the cufflink, I found this bodkin – a silver needle. I’ve read about bodkins, most being recovered over in England. They were usually inscribed and had a secondary hole for wearing a decorative tassel for use as a hair pin. This find is a very plain, no-thrills bodkin, but I’ll take it.

P6280036.JPG

The same site also produced this lead dice cube, which was no doubt made from a musket ball. I’ve recovered lots of musket balls on this site, as British Redcoats were camped in the area during the Revolutionary War. I’ve also found fishing sinkers, buzzers, etc. made from musket balls nearby at this site.

P6200121.JPG

I’ve got a few good silver coins from two other sites that I’m working. Here’s a 1776 Spanish one-real as dug and after being treated. I like the date of 1776; I found it a few days before July 4th. I also got an 1850 half dime on the same evening when the cufflink and bodkin was found, though the coin came from a different site. It appears that both coins had some contact with a plow, but I’m still very happy to have found such old coins.

P6300093.JPG

P7010096.JPG

P7010099.JPG

P6280022.JPG

P6280033.JPG

Here’s some nipple buttons, a trifid spoon handle fragment, and a small leather mount. These finds certainly date the site to the 17th Century. The single button in the next photo is in great shape for being made of pewter.

P7050120.JPG

P7050135.JPG

I hope you enjoyed the photos. Thanks for looking. Happy Hunting.

Upvote 10

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow look at that silver coin :occasion18:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah ! with the age and the variety of these finds - I'm going BANNER ! Are there initials or symbols (cross?) on the end of the
bodkin ?

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah ! with the age and the variety of these finds - I'm going BANNER ! Are there initials or symbols (cross?) on the end of the
bodkin ?

There appear to be some markings on the end of the bodkin, but nothing that I can see clearly - perhaps the letter A and a cross. It looks very crude, especially in comparison to the 1700's silver cufflink.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome and very early site you managed to get into Jim. But I guess I don't have to remind you of that. Many nice finds there, and I particularly like the silver bodkin needle. Never dug one of those although my partner Dan dug part of one last year. That needle, the trifid spoon handle, and those nipple buttons confirm occupation back into the 17th century. That site definitely sounds ripe for the plucking of a Mass. silver, and I hope you can pass your coil over one one soon. Good luck!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning finds. The cufflinks are a very special recovery. Simply beautiful!

Best Wishes,

Buck

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding recoveries, looks like you are on a good role there, keep em coming.
ZDD

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic group of colonial relics there. The cufflink is exceptional. I agree with Bill, that 17th century site has a high potential for Massachussetts silver.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
You have some great finds there STC. The cufflink and bodkin are killers.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread