Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m watching a show called Expedition Unknown. They are diving the fleet. Does anybody know Greg Bounds? He’s leading this show. They are claiming one ship of the fleet went far north of Sebastian. With Information from National Archives of Cuba, they are headed north on a boat named The Big Easy. They are currently running a mag. Now diving their hits. Vis obviously sucks. They found a cannon........coming back later

IF,your talking about the 1715 Spanish fleet (ground zero at Vero beach). Only half of the 12 ships have been located and identified....Also IMO Expedition Unknown is one of the better shows.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Togreenfeet Greg Bounds is the sub-contractor that found the breech loading deck gun filled with gold and silver coins a few years ago. The Queens Jewels LLC didn't renew his contract and then went to Greg's sites and recovered many gold coins. Greg sued Queens Jewels LLC but lost his case in court. Greg's boat was called the "Gold Hound." This was all posted on Treasurenet a few years ago.

Last edited:

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF,your talking about the 1715 Spanish fleet (ground zero at Vero beach). Only half of the 12 ships have been located and identified....Also IMO Expedition Unknown is one of the better shows.

Yes sir Spanish Treasure Fleet of 1715

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Togreenfeet Greg Bounds is the sub-contractor that found the breech loading deck gun filled with gold and silver coins a few years ago. The Queens Jewels LLC didn't renew his contract and then went to Greg's sites and recovered many gold coins. Greg sued Queens Jewels LLC but lost his case in court. Greg's boat was called the "Gold Hound." This was all posted on Treasurenet a few years ago.

Thank you for that information. Greg seems alright to me! I’d dive for him! Haha

1percenter

Oct 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple facts for the Internet spongers first off Greg never filled for a contract in 2014-2018. Second Greg has not ever owned any sites or area ,and dug 12 ft from our gold coin spot in 2012 ,and didn't find much nor ever went back. Third we were no where near the cannon find area. Fourth you can dive with him any time you want. Just probably not for treasure as he broke the trust with the treasure hunting community. All facts please if your going to talk about it ,at lease get it right. We were all friends until we found a pile. I love and work extremely hard bringing this history to the surface. But the trouble with treasure is there never problems until someone else finds it.

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Greg Bounds is a highly successful treasure finder.

The "sites" belong to 1715 Fleet- Queens Jewels, LLC. Many subcontractors had previously worked in "the area" over the decades.
If the detectors used have a range of 18 inches on an 8 reale size coin, 19 inches away misses the treasure.
The Capitana crew got within 18 inches of a gold coin pile in 2015 and recovered hundreds of them.

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple facts for the Internet spongers first off Greg never filled for a contract in 2014-2018. Second Greg has not ever owned any sites or area ,and dug 12 ft from our gold coin spot in 2012 ,and didn't find much nor ever went back. Third we were no where near the cannon find area. Fourth you can dive with him any time you want. Just probably not for treasure as he broke the trust with the treasure hunting community. All facts please if your going to talk about it ,at lease get it right. We were all friends until we found a pile. I love and work extremely hard bringing this history to the surface. But the trouble with treasure is there never problems until someone else finds it.

And I absolutely have nothing to do with ANYBODY searching for ANY treasure. I love to read about it. I am a Rescue Diver, with well over 40 years diving experience. Does that make me an expert? No, I learn everyday. I dive as much as I can, usually around the Caribbean I read all I can about treasure/pirates because I think it’s cool as hell. But my friend that told me about having someone else pay you to dive........well he also said “ if you hear the words treasure hunters....... RUN LIKE HELL.....it’s worse than any pirate story. It’s a cutthroat, back stabbing world. I enjoy that time period. I’m also quite possibly related to a pirate of that great pirate era. Who wouldn’t like to say he/she found a gazzillion dollars in treasure? Me well I’m a little different. Pay me some per diem so I’m not losing money. Feed me well and hell I’d just like to put my name on the T-shirt when it’s all said and done.

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two different finds several years apart, several football fields apart along a commonly known dispersion line.

For "per diem" anybody would/could do it. Try working in that heat day after day for no guaranteed compensation.

It's a true risk/reward venture where perseverance and skill improves your "luck".

Togreenfeet

Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There I was boys DaNang ‘66. It wasn’t a pretty sight, but there I was anyway. Everybody has a story my friend Everybody has a story......... I miss you Mad Dog........

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well he also said “ if you hear the words treasure hunters....... RUN LIKE HELL.....it’s worse than any pirate story. It’s a cutthroat, back stabbing world.

I can understand why he would say this....but....

The greatest treasures I have found have been the people in the treasure hunting world!

Sadly bad things get way more attention than good things. One bad apple...

Keep posting here. Keep reading, learning. Make some friends, maybe go to a Treasure Hunter's picnic and one day you just might be on a boat looking for "treasure" and buying a T-shirt!

-Cheers

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

How far actually/factually is "nowhere near" from the cannon recovery area that "we were nowhere near"?

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How far actually/factually is "nowhere near" from the cannon recovery area that "we were nowhere near"?

More than 19 inches.

More than 2 1/2 football fields away! (length)

To put some context to that. According to the subcontract agreement that all salvors sign you are required to stay more than 300 feet away from another vessel that is working on a site. 301 feet is more than.

Hey tomorrow is Friday! Let's see some gold on Cooper's Treasure!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
More than 19 inches.

More than 2 1/2 football fields away! (length)

To put some context to that. According to the subcontract agreement that all salvors sign you are required to stay more than 300 feet away from another vessel that is working on a site. 301 feet is more than.

Hey tomorrow is Friday! Let's see some gold on Cooper's Treasure!

Ghee whiz!
It's the same wreck. Quite near enough /nowhere near to relate.

Pleasure was regulated out of wreck salvaging long ago. And competition makes hash out of networking. Understandably.

Add a disgruntled party demanding all facts and adding some stretched claims/facts of their own , and away we go!

Stay safe. H.H..

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au_Dreamers is 100% correct... Gold dust was found on a 1715 Fleet wreck (Rio Mar site) and small gold nuggets have been found (from which particular Wreck I’m not sure yet) by Golden Sands Beach area ([emoji23]... appropriately named)...

"I've read no accounts where there has been gold dust on board or the manifest. The usual practice was to melt it down into ingots/bars. "

I haven't read of any, but I'm glad of the knowledge. Thanks.

Now - for the context of Miklos finding authentic gold dust - - - - - - - - - - :laughing7:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would probably enjoy the book "Shipwrecks near Wabasso Beach" by Bob "Frogfoot" Weller and Ernie "Seascribe" Richards.

It mentions the gold dust and flakes at the Rio Mar site.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being interested in remote sensing for decades, I found the main premise for the show far fetched, to say the least. Turns out I'm not alone. I found the show reviewed by The Space Review:
The Space Review: The magic MacGuffin of Mercury 9

Here's part of it:
Specifically, reports Miklos, Cooper told him he found the potential treasure spots using a secret military sensor that had been installed on the spacecraft originally to hunt for Soviet nuclear missile bases hidden in the area of Cuba–where a major international crisis involving such missiles had occurred only a few months before the flight.

“They were utilizing some kind of long-range detection equipment to look for nuclear threats,” Miklos told Fox News. “With that, his acute vision [and] possible cameras, he started identifying things that looked like shipwreck material. Once he had written all the coordinates down, he went back to Earth and put together this incredible treasure map from space on a sea chart."

And it’s not as if Cooper was crisscrossing Caribbean skies sightseeing. If the show is claiming that Cooper photographed the whole Caribbean area, it doesn't jibe with the actual flight path of the mission. Cooper only passed across the northern edge of the sunlit Caribbean on his fourth and 20th orbits (and a south pass Cozumel to Maracaibo on orbits 5 and 21.) He was busy with other stuff—as shown on the transcripts—on both the fourth and fifth orbits, when he explicitly described himself viewing the northern horizon, not nadir ground landmarks, and was doing deorbit preparations on the 20th and 21st orbits.

In the bigger picture, any pressing justification for the alleged capability the device exclusively offered is also impossible to find. The spacecraft only orbited between 32 degrees latitude north and south, and all that airspace was fully-accessible to heavily instrumented airborne sensors already in the US inventory. Highly-capable US military spacecraft were routinely flying in orbit, able to carry such sensor systems, if they even existed. No Soviet nuclear missile sites in that near-equatorial band were ever found by any means.

Flight transcript shows Cooper took 29 photos, not 5,245, which would have been mathematically impossible, not to mention that the capsule wasn't always pointed at the ground.

Choking yet? Read the whole review. And the comments, some by ex-NASA vets.

I love a treasure story (real ones preferred) as well as anyone, but this one careens from the preposterous to the absurd with Miklos scrambling from Spanish treasure to Sir Francis Drake to keep himself on the water, and presumably to contract. Hopefully, some vice president is in trouble for signing Miklos.

Everyone keeps talking about Gordo's Mercury flight but never mentions his Gemini flight at all. Whatever gear they may have flown with on Mercury, everything would have been better on Gemini. I have not as of yet seen this show but have always been a big fan of Gordon's. Do they say in the show this information was obtained only during his Mercury flight? Whatever spying was going on certainly continued during and beyond Gemini. I totally agree that everything will be blown out of proportion and dramatized to the max for the sake of the TV show but I would certainly believe anything Gordon said but not necessarily what others claim he said.

Bill

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I've read no accounts where there has been gold dust on board or the manifest. The usual practice was to melt it down into ingots/bars. "

I haven't read of any, but I'm glad of the knowledge. Thanks.

Now - for the context of Miklos finding authentic gold dust - - - - - - - - - - :laughing7:

Knowing that it is in the 1715 Fleet manifest I went to the biblical Haskins' Report bound and determined to find it.

LOL page 2 : The Royal treasure consisted of...; 309 castellanos, 7 tomines, and 6 grains of gold dust.... All of it was carried on Echeverz Capitana ** Presumed to be the Rio Mar wreck site**

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing that it is in the 1715 Fleet manifest I went to the biblical Haskins' Report bound and determined to find it.

LOL page 2 : The Royal treasure consisted of...; 309 castellanos, 7 tomines, and 6 grains of gold dust.... All of it was carried on Echeverz Capitana ** Presumed to be the Rio Mar wreck site**

You left off the best part "(en pulvo)" ha, ha. Hope you're doing OK by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread