What's new

Copper Point

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went looking with the MD for a trade period village site, and I believe we found it. We found some things, but the best piece was this copper rolled point. It's the best example of one I have ever seen, if you look at the tip you can tell it's not a tinkler. I wish I could say I found it but my buddy was the lucky dog, but I was there, that's all that counts. copper point 3-09-14 001.webpcopper point 3-09-14 002.webpcopper point 3-09-14 003.webp
 
Upvote 0
Man that is a super find !!!!!!
 
Nice point! What else did you find?
 
...that's interesting monsterrack...for those of us (me :-[) who don't know what they were for, could you enlighten please..:) I guess a "tinkler" was used on cloths? So a "point" would have been for....?
 
Interesting piece. Does it look rolled? Hard to tell from picture. If so could be a french conical point. Curious Kat these were used as arrowtips.....
 
I dont know much about them either. That one looks more solid I have sen some looked rolled before. But like I say I dont know squat about them. HH, rock
 
That's a real good find! I have found two and half at a site that dated from the late 1700's and early 1800's. If you got one of those, there is likely other trade items in the area as well. Good luck!
 
Great point! Could be copper culture, but I'm far from an expert in that area.
 
This site is a French trading site, that the local Indians lived around it and had a small village. The other things that I found are being cleaned, once that is done I'll post them.



Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
 
Excellent find! So much iron and rust around here, I can't get anywhere w/ my detector:sadsmiley:... Maybe you'll find more- keep swingin'! Yak
 
Copper Point - SW Georgia

Here's one I found medal detecting a few years ago in a site that dates late 1790s to 1820ish. This one was found in Lee County (S.W.) Georgia. Looks pretty similar to yours!
 

Attachments

  • Copper point - Lee Co. Ga..webp
    Copper point - Lee Co. Ga..webp
    12.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).webp
    Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 163
Very Nice Find! :icon_thumleft:
 
I also found one st the same site as GaRebel1861. Mine is just over 2 inches long. I also found a round ball and Minie at the site that day. From what I have been told these points are from a very short period between stone points and the advent of the musket. Our finds came from a site where Zachary Taylor camped and a massacre took place some time after his departure. Local militia mistook the friendly camp for a hostile one and killed several of the natives there.
 

Attachments

  • copper point 001.webp
    copper point 001.webp
    60.2 KB · Views: 183
  • copper point 002.webp
    copper point 002.webp
    111.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Copper point 4.webp
    Copper point 4.webp
    127 KB · Views: 156
  • Copper point 3.webp
    Copper point 3.webp
    201.8 KB · Views: 148
For comparison, here are a couple tinklers. Pretty much made the same way, but without points of course. From a 1600's era Seneca Iroquois site in NY....
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    226.2 KB · Views: 145
They look just like the one we found , there is no mistaking a point from a tinkler, unless there is damage. Good finds guys



Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
 
For comparison, here are a couple tinklers. Pretty much made the same way, but without points of course. From a 1600's era Seneca Iroquois site in NY....


I think I got one of those too. I thought mine was a broken copper point. If Monsterrack doesn't mind I'll try and post a picture of it as well on this thread.
 
This is the only copper that I've ever found that could possibly be an artifact. I think it was part of a broken coil. It's large for a broken point, isn't it?

image-151724006.webp



image-151724006.webp

Here is a coil. My piece was found on the same site as the piece in the book.
 

Attachments

  • image-659678709.webp
    image-659678709.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 76
I think I got one of those too. I thought mine was a broken copper point. If Monsterrack doesn't mind I'll try and post a picture of it as well on this thread.

Post away Rebel, please do I like to see other artifacts.
 
Tinkler or broken copper point?
 

Attachments

  • Finds.webp
    Finds.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Finds (1).webp
    Finds (1).webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom