Dan Blankenship passes away

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
As much as I would love to spoof about the 7 must kick the bucket.... Dan was a real treasure hunter at heart and the world needs more people like him.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always a sad event and condolences to the family.

BUT, if you count collateral deaths a LOT more than seven have died. The three original "kids", one death in 1861 but everyone else on that crew has died since (though I can't prove that), Henry, Bowdoin, William Chappell, F.D. Roosevelt, lots more. All dead searchers.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sad day... He had a long life doing what he wanted to do and in the end got to see there was no treasure buried on Oak island..

Rest in Peace Dan.. You will always be a big part of the Oak Island legend...

timex

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I would love to spoof about the 7 must kick the bucket.... Dan was a real treasure hunter at heart and the world needs more people like him.

Well Said!

Respectfully, tim

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
It's a tough blow to the treasure hunting community as a whole. RIP Dan!

goldnsilver

Jun 25, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Vintage 1980's
Whites Goldmaster
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed a very sad day. I wish the best for all of the Oak Island family. I love the show for what it is and I can feel the sadness too.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan lived a good life. I only wish he was around when they find the truth but Im sure he will be looking down once that happens. I have no doubt. FYI 7 Must Die before the treasure can be found. I think this would count as the 7th. I could not think of a more fitting way to end the Curse. Dan was 95 and spent most of his life looking for what is on Oak Island. I believe they will have true success and the island will give up its secrets now that Dan has passed. We loved Dan. He was a great guy to get to know on TV. He was like the Grandpa you never had.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
RIP Dan. A true treasure hunter in every way. I have to comment on the whole "7 must die" nonsense though. Since nobody has any clue who put whatever is there in the ground I have to question where this silliness even came from. Sounds like a bunch of added drama cooked up at some point in the past to make the story more interesting and I doubt very much there is any historical basis for it.

Tom Slikes53

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
possibly they found a treasure late last summer and Dan knew about it before he passed...

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
Since nobody has any clue who put whatever is there in the ground I have to question where this silliness even came from. Sounds like a bunch of added drama cooked up at some point in the past to make the story more interesting and I doubt very much there is any historical basis for it.

That actually applies to most of the legend. (Regardless of which version one chooses to believe.)

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Daniel C. "Dan" Blankenship
1923-2019

Daniel Christian "Dan" Blankenship. Age 95, passed away Sunday, March 17th 2019 in South Shore Regional Hospital, Bridgewater, NS.

Visitation will be held 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Sunday, March 24th 2019 in Mahone Funeral Home, 32 Parish Street, Mahone Bay, NS.

A funeral service will be held 2:00 p.m., Monday, March 25th 2019 in St. Mark's Anglican Church, Martin's Point, NS.

You can add your condolences and support for the family here :

http://www.mahonefuneral.ca/guestbook?focus=132583

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread