WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about that when I was in Cuba a few years ago. I think you would have to bring your detector in a golf bag or something. I know people were bringing their fishing rods and clothes in golf bags because the resort offered free baggage for people "golfing" at the resort. Not sure on the process but money goes far in Cuba, the dude at immigration who looked at my passport asked me for money!

OP
OP
P

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I kind of forgot Canadians could go to Cuba, still wondering if it would be worth the trip when we are finally aloud to go to Cuba.

OP
OP
P

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you have to give him money?

Because its Cuba! "I say senior do you want your vacation in jail or on the beach"

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely an interesting place, kinda like the Dominican Republic & Mexico jammed together. The hotel I went to in Havana had Jim Beam or Jack Daniels shots for $36.00 a piece...be worth it to bootleg some booze down there. As for detecting you'd have to find a remote place where no one would bug you...you could detect on the resort beaches if you slipped the security some cash.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah I kind of forgot Canadians could go to Cuba, still wondering if it would be worth the trip when we are finally aloud to go to Cuba.

I live in Miami and my landlord is Cuban along with many of my neighbors. He told me you could go to Cuba now if you wish. He had a few warnings but I forget now. I have thought about it, Old Havanna is probably a treasure hunters dream.

OP
OP
P

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Miami and my landlord is Cuban along with many of my neighbors. He told me you could go to Cuba now if you wish. He had a few warnings but I forget now. I have thought about it, Old Havanna is probably a treasure hunters dream.

I didn't think it was "open to the public" as of yet??????

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I didn't think it was "open to the public" as of yet??????
I will ask my landlord again. I know that Cubans have been going to visit family. I thought he said I could go if I wanted to. Maybe I misunderstood.

Last edited:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking about it too. Can you imagine detecting San Juan Hill? Personally I would be interested in Spanish colonial sites. But apparently we are not there yet based on the link posted above.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have been thinking about it too. Can you imagine detecting San Juan Hill? Personally I would be interested in Spanish colonial sites. But apparently we are not there yet based on the link posted above.

I wanna detect Habana. keep forgetting to ask my landlord. Why wouldnt I be able to travel with him when he visits relatives? Couldnt I say I married his daughter/sister?

I would imagine historical sites are off limits but then again why would Castro care about San Juan Hill? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_San_Juan_Hill

San_Juan_Hill_by_Kurz_and_Allison.JPG

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Gitmo back in the late 60's.
Didn't get a detector until 1970.
Wonder if there were any restrictions back then.

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, Cuba does not allow metal detectors as yet. I was there last April (2015), and brought my Fisher CZ6a (in case they confiscated it, and never to be seen again) which wasn't a worry for me. Going through Cuban customs, I was asked what was in my bag (fortunate for me I can speak somewhat Spanish) and advised them as to what I had (they knew exactly what it does), and customs told me that it was not allowed into the country. So, my detector was "seized" but I was advised that upon my departure, I could pick it up at the customs office, with the receipt they gave me (no receipt, no returning item). However, when I did pick it up, I noticed that the detector bag had been opened, and there was sand on the coil, in the detector bag (which I know I cleaned both before I left), and my settings were changed as well. Hopefully, whomever used it, found some goodies with it, and caught the MD'ing bug lol.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, Cuba does not allow metal detectors as yet. I was there last April (2015), and brought my Fisher CZ6a (in case they confiscated it, and never to be seen again) which wasn't a worry for me. Going through Cuban customs, I was asked what was in my bag (fortunate for me I can speak somewhat Spanish) and advised them as to what I had (they knew exactly what it does), and customs told me that it was not allowed into the country. So, my detector was "seized" but I was advised that upon my departure, I could pick it up at the customs office, with the receipt they gave me (no receipt, no returning item). However, when I did pick it up, I noticed that the detector bag had been opened, and there was sand on the coil, in the detector bag (which I know I cleaned both before I left), and my settings were changed as well. Hopefully, whomever used it, found some goodies with it, and caught the MD'ing bug lol.

Now THAT is an interesting story! I've had a few customers buy detectors saying they were going to use them in Cuba, but none have reported back yet.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread