What's new

"Do We Have a Mutated Gene"

Roundness

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2013
Messages
631
Reaction score
713
Golden Thread
0
Location
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've often wondered if we (Metal Detectors) have some kind of mutated gene, extra chromosome or just some kind of phsycosis, that makes us go out in the freezing cold, blowing snow, torrential rains and burning heat to swing a coil all day long, until you can barely feel your arm, to get over an object that is sometimes no more than a trinket that was thrown away by someone a hundred years ago. We then proceed to get down on our knees and dig like animals, sifting through the dirt to find said trinkets, and we do it until we are in so much pain we can barely drive home to our wives or husbands nasty, muddy and smelly. Can someone give me the reason that I contracted this obsession years ago when I saw a shiny gold ring come popping out of the ground just waiting for me to pick it up. I was then hooked for life and it seems I will be until I just am not able to swing my coil any more. God bless us each and every one.
 
My mom got me started with an archaeology club when I was about 8. Must be genetics.
 
I think it applies to the same thing that drives gamblers, horders, cig smokers, and herion addicts
 
i got my first detector when i was about 7 no going back since i do it because it is fun its a good way to get off those devices for a little bit
 
In a word, Yessssssss.....would not have it any other way.
 
Tpmetal has it figured out. The only rush better than winning money is finding money!
 
It's the "Thrillofthehunt" gene, I believe. 😁
 
I have always just figured it was Drain Blamage, I was dropped as a child
 
I just like to find cool things! :dontknow:
 
I suspect it is a combination of the "immediate gratification" reward-seeking behavior that also drives addicts, as well as the personality trait of "openness" (to experience)/novelty-seeking that is satisfied by discovering what hidden goodies beeped at you and then learning about the past through the conduit of the item, which is in itself a rich and novel experience to those interested in the past. In addition, I believe that the biologically/environmentally and culturally ingrained habit of preparing for the future/winter by collecting and storing food and practical resources is easily translated to collecting precious or historic resources, as is what appears to be an ancient interplay between culture and genetics that has imbued some peoples with a greater degree of innate inquisitiveness and yearning for progress, invention or discovery.
 
I suspect it is a combination of the "immediate gratification" reward-seeking behavior that also drives addicts, as well as the personality trait of "openness" (to experience)/novelty-seeking that is satisfied by discovering what hidden goodies beeped at you and then learning about the past through the conduit of the item, which is in itself a rich and novel experience to those interested in the past. In addition, I believe that the biologically/environmentally and culturally ingrained habit of preparing for the future/winter by collecting and storing food and practical resources is easily translated to collecting precious or historic resources, as is what appears to be an ancient interplay between culture and genetics that has imbued some peoples with a greater degree of innate inquisitiveness and yearning for progress, invention or discovery.

Well Said... My hat's off to you
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom