"Do We Have a Mutated Gene"

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've often wondered if we (Metal Detectors) have some kind of mutated gene, extra chromosome or just some kind of phsycosis, that makes us go out in the freezing cold, blowing snow, torrential rains and burning heat to swing a coil all day long, until you can barely feel your arm, to get over an object that is sometimes no more than a trinket that was thrown away by someone a hundred years ago. We then proceed to get down on our knees and dig like animals, sifting through the dirt to find said trinkets, and we do it until we are in so much pain we can barely drive home to our wives or husbands nasty, muddy and smelly. Can someone give me the reason that I contracted this obsession years ago when I saw a shiny gold ring come popping out of the ground just waiting for me to pick it up. I was then hooked for life and it seems I will be until I just am not able to swing my coil any more. God bless us each and every one.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom got me started with an archaeology club when I was about 8. Must be genetics.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it applies to the same thing that drives gamblers, horders, cig smokers, and herion addicts

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i got my first detector when i was about 7 no going back since i do it because it is fun its a good way to get off those devices for a little bit

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a word, Yessssssss.....would not have it any other way.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tpmetal has it figured out. The only rush better than winning money is finding money!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the "Thrillofthehunt" gene, I believe. 😁

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always just figured it was Drain Blamage, I was dropped as a child

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just like to find cool things! :dontknow:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect it is a combination of the "immediate gratification" reward-seeking behavior that also drives addicts, as well as the personality trait of "openness" (to experience)/novelty-seeking that is satisfied by discovering what hidden goodies beeped at you and then learning about the past through the conduit of the item, which is in itself a rich and novel experience to those interested in the past. In addition, I believe that the biologically/environmentally and culturally ingrained habit of preparing for the future/winter by collecting and storing food and practical resources is easily translated to collecting precious or historic resources, as is what appears to be an ancient interplay between culture and genetics that has imbued some peoples with a greater degree of innate inquisitiveness and yearning for progress, invention or discovery.

OP
OP
Roundness

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suspect it is a combination of the "immediate gratification" reward-seeking behavior that also drives addicts, as well as the personality trait of "openness" (to experience)/novelty-seeking that is satisfied by discovering what hidden goodies beeped at you and then learning about the past through the conduit of the item, which is in itself a rich and novel experience to those interested in the past. In addition, I believe that the biologically/environmentally and culturally ingrained habit of preparing for the future/winter by collecting and storing food and practical resources is easily translated to collecting precious or historic resources, as is what appears to be an ancient interplay between culture and genetics that has imbued some peoples with a greater degree of innate inquisitiveness and yearning for progress, invention or discovery.

Well Said... My hat's off to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread