Do you keep change found on floor at grocery store?

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
My personal feelings are, finders keepers if its just clad change on the floor, jewelry, keys, other personal items I would have to report. Just my opinion. But I completely understand the reasoning behind your good deed.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
clad coins found on the floor --its yours -----now if you see a person looking for their ring and you see it no you return it to em -- but say a ring just sitting there on the floor --no markings or nothing to aid in its return -- tell the manager you found "item" --(do not show em said item )-however say if anyone checks "lost and found" for a item to call you (leave your number)-- say they will need to fully discribe said item to "claim it". -- like ring. watch or necklace --10 ,14, or 18K-- color silver , yellow gold , ect --stones or no stones --- if called ask the caller to discribe it -- if incorrect just say sorry not correct , do not say --oh its not a "ring" --- just sorry not right.

after 60 days if not one claims it --think of it as yours.

OP
OP
jackie blue

jackie blue

Dec 4, 2003
NC
If it was jewelry or something, yes, I would report it. I just feel like people are scruitinizing me when I pick up and pocket change around the checkout counters. I have no problems checking out the CoinMaster, though!

Thanks for your replies.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One characteristic of coin detectors is that we remember when change was actually worth something; you could buy a box of .22 shells for 50 cents.

Now a quarter doesn't buy a candy bar, so it's really not much of an issue.

I sometimes ignore change, sometimes pocket it, and sometimes put it into a charity jar - i suppose it depends on my mood at the time.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in a grocery store,and if I find money Inside the store I turn it in to the office,But if its on the outside it's mind! and I keep it in a special jar and spend it at the end of the year. :hello2:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a wheatie, nickle, dime or quarter - I usually pick it up and keep it.

If its a penny that's NOT a wheatie, I usually put it in the "penny" thing at the counter.

If its jewelry, I give it to management.

If its jewelry found OUTSIDE the store (like the parking lot), I keep it and run an ad if its worth anything - and also check the "lost" ads. If nobody claims it, I keep it.

B

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
change no matter what its mine unless i see some one running it down jewelry post a note on the public board to contact me after 60 days its mine keys c cards and bill folds go to coustomer service thats my two cents worth and thats the rest of the story

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up all change and keep it. I throw all of my change (found, detected, or daily pocket change) in a 1 gallon wine jug and roll it once a year, and use it to pad my savings account. Pocket change may not buy much these days, but a years worth of it sure adds up.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if I take the time to pick it up, I've got a jar at home it fits in.
at the end of the year it's taken in and then I use the proceeds
to buy more MD supplies

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I keep anything under $10.00 that I find either in store or outside unless of course I see who dropped it then I retrieve an return.

S

stefen

Being that I cannot sleep at night and I worry so much about this mundane subject that I provide a complete description of each coin found and place it on the local Post Office bulletin board...and hope for a reward :sleepy2:

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
my wife and I have a sort of game we play with found change, inside or outside. Anything under a $ goes in a vacation jug along with a dollar for each cent. So if I find a penny, in goes the penny and a dollar, for a nickel, in goes the nickel and $5. We almost dread finding a dime or a quarter and it is a good thing that half dollars are almost never used, but it is nice at vacation time since the money really builds up. It also keeps our eyes exercised watching for lost treasure. ;-)

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its a penny I'll put it on the checkout counter,but if it's anything bigger it goes in my pocket,but here's a different one,the day after christmas I find 25 checkcards from JC.Penny's in the store where I work.They were all over my department,so I gave them to my store mngr. He later comes back to me and tells me that their all reall and loaded with $25 each.He said I'd have to wait for at least 1 month before he gives them back to me. :headbang: :hello2:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I pick up anything I find. Scan it for any value, and if it's worth no more than face value will dump in the "take a penny leave a penny" tray. I guess a lot of people do that. When I opened my shop 8 years ago, I took a regular cent and placed it at the threshold inside of my door... sort of like a good luck charm in my own mind. There's no telling how many people who have come through my door and spied that cent sitting in the floor in front of the door and picked it up and pocketed it. I always nail them on it and make them put it back though... It's my lucky charm and it isn't going anywhere. I had one salesman get so embarrased when I nailed him, that he sent me two pennies taped to a business card a few days later. LOL. It makes an impression on a lot of people, even more than that framed "first dollar" you see in a lot of businesses.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigwater said:
I took a regular cent and placed it at the threshold inside of my door...
just hot glue it to the floor, it's not going anywhere and it is good for a :laughing7: when you see people trying to pick it up.

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used too but ever since the earthquake in Haiti if I find change on the floor it goes into whatever donation jar is on the counter. Ive been unemployed for a while and since I started doing this I feel a little better ,and somebody gets a little help and now I start a job this coming Monday (Karma?)

May your detector always find the good stuff.

Trapper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread