Do you keep change found on floor at grocery store?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I have not found much change at stores but I've found bills 3 times.

I found $2 on the floor in line at the checkout. The only other person in line was the lady in front of me who had not gotten out her wallet yet so I knew it wasnt hers. I kept it.

At a party store I was getting some beer out of a cooler & found $4 resting on a $12 pack. I kept it.

Then at a collage book store I saw a bill fluttering to the ground next to a stack of books. A man standing there had just taken his hand out of his pocket & was counting his change. I picked it up ($5) and gave it back to him.

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
depending on what it is....coins I would probably put in those donation jars at grocery stores....other things other than coins i would definitely report

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep the change/cash if there's no obvious 'Loser', And I got no problem trading my zincolns for coppers from the take a penny tray either...
Jewelery, I would attempt to find the owner, with the generic "I found Jewelery' report to management, leaving my #,
And I sleep Very soundly...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
my basic "rules" are --you lose it , i find it its mine --unless --one of the fellowing apply - i see a person clearly looking for the lost item, say ring or wallet or such that i just found -- the "owner" is there and looking for it (i'm not a "theif") --- same goes if the wallet has a "ID" in it or the jewelry is clearly marked with the owners name (to the local "police dept")-- since its clear who the real owner is (again I''m not a "theif") ---- however plain old money (say a $20 bill) just dropped in a parking lot with no one around to "claim" it or clearly looking for it -- its my "lucky day" ;D--- same goes for coins or unmarked ? jewelry ;D --- unless i come by "solid" knowledge of who owns it snag* its mine --now if while in the store the PA comes on saying --a ring was lost -if anyone sees it please turn it in -- yep back it goes

all lost "unknown owner / untracible items" that i find are "fair game" in my book.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Three times now I've found good money in the self checkout lane at the grocery store. One time I was in line behind a guy and noticed his change drop. It was about 12 bucks and coin. I shouted at him as he was walking out the door and he came back to retrieve it and thanked me profusely. Another time, I was behind somebody in line, and didn't notice that they had forgot their change. They got away before I finished checking out. That was a couple of bucks and some coins, so I didn't worry about it too much. I scanned the parking lot for them, but they were gone... so it went in my pocket. The other time I came upon the self checkout when it was empty... nobody around, and there was a ten a five and three one's along with a few coins in the cash tray. I hung out around the checkout aisle for a few minutes after I checked out in case the person remembered to come back for it, but after ten minutes it went in my pocket and off I went. Even I am smart enough to know that turning that lost money over to an employee means the employee is just going to keep it... so I might as well keep it myself. Small change goes in the penny tray once it's determined to be, well, change... but the bills go in my pocket if I can't locate the owner.

My wife has become the "coupon fairy". I'm sure there are a lot of people that love her and don't even know who she is. She has a membership in a program where she can download coupons for groceries for free. It doesn't cost her anything other than the cost of the ink and paper to print them out. She'll print out 100 coupons on Saturday morning before she goes to the grocery store, even though there might only be three of them that she actually wants to use herself. The rest of them she'll place on the stack of the product the coupon is good for. She gets bonus points for the number of coupons that are redeemed, so she keeps an eye on it, and typically about 95% of the coupons she puts out on the grocery items in the store get redeemed by somebody. It's not altruistic by any means... for about every 1000 coupons that get redeemed she gets a $25.00 gift card to a store of her choice that's on the list ;)

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
if its coins i check the date on them, anything old i keep all the rest goes in the "penny tray" at the register. thats a great idea about swapping out new pennies for old ones from the tray :sign13: i'll be lookin for wheaties from now on from the trays :thumbsup: ;D now if i find anything outside the store then its all mine unless someone is looking for their lost jewlery or money.....after all i'm not dropping off any rings i find at the beach in the lost and found :icon_pirat:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
And keep kicking them and kicking them and kicking them until they land heads up so you can pick them up, huh? ;)

OP
OP
jackie blue

jackie blue

Dec 4, 2003
NC
I'm glad this post keeps resurfacing. :icon_thumright:

Homecoming football yesterday (we beat Marshall 37-10) so there was a lot of change around the self-serve ice machine next to the grocery store this morning. I have gotten over the looks on cashier faces and pick up the change inside the store, unless there's someone in front of me in line and I actually hear the money drop.

Have a great week!

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
When I see coins in the stores and I have perfect eyesight I can spot a coin under a ledge 5 registers down I tell the kid where it is and she goes hunting and I don't care who hears me let them try to take that from the kid she will make them wish they gaver a dollar and the money she found. She has dolls to buy and has quite a collection. She goes to family homes and ask if there is things she can do to earn extra money and they will get her something to do. When I was a kid I was a hustler too great skill to learn because I was able to get a job working at wendys when I was 12. I wanted to work they wanted me to work I convinced them my dad was cool with it they said we can bend the rules and I was their boy. I loved it earning money sad thing I never learned to do my taxes until I was 19 wonder how much money I donated to the USA?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread