rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow never thought I would see them out in the area I hunt at. There is nothing out there but fields and a few homes scattered. But they were there...stopped and talked to me. I hadnt been finding nothing but broken pieces but they looked anyway. Took all of my info I had as for permission and my name. He was nice but you know good and well if I hadnt been out there legal Id be in jail rite now. There was 2 of them in the truck. Im guessing they were looking for hunters seeing it is hunting season. This is what I had in my pocket that I showed him. Im sure he didnt want it, lol. HH and be careful rock.

Attachments

• 100_4550.JPG
    100_4550.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0
I use to head hunt with a ranger for years, his place is on the edge of my best Hopewell site. If ya see DNR out where I live they are definitely lost. ;)
Wow never thought I would see them out in the area I hunt at. There is nothing out there but fields and a few homes scattered. But they were there...stopped and talked to me. I hadnt been finding nothing but broken pieces but they looked anyway. Took all of my info I had as for permission and my name. He was nice but you know good and well if I hadnt been out there legal Id be in jail rite now. There was 2 of them in the truck. Im guessing they were looking for hunters seeing it is hunting season. This is what I had in my pocket that I showed him. Im sure he didnt want it, lol. HH and be careful rock.

If you were on private property with permission ( and no one called you in), how do they even have a right to stop and question you?

If you were on private property with permission ( and no one called you in), how do they even have a right to stop and question you?

They were Rangers, Rangers can do whatever they want at anytime. They dont have to have a reason. They asked me what I was doing but I was walking a row and had a flipping stick in my hand. Im sure he knew already. I was totally honest with him and he seemed ok with it. Somebody might of called it in he didnt say and I didnt ask. I was in shock to see them.

If it's deer season, my guess is for starters you looked like you were looking for or following a blood trail, and they decided to check you out.
You sure couldn't have got in trouble for having any artifacts.;-)

Last edited:
There is a large wildlife area near me where I spent a lot of time walking the fields for artifacts when I was young.

Had several "run ins" with the DNR, some didn't care, some cared a lot. Finally they turned a large part of the area into a "wildlife refuge", trespassing for any reason strictly forbidden. Unless of course you are the DNR, then you can hike it at will, farm it, who knows what else "they" are doing on OUR land.

Doesn't seem right...it is several thousand acres in a county with no other wildlife areas, but they have closed more than half of it.

They have no right to impede you on private property unless you are hunting and you do not need to show them anything you find. They should not care though..It is hunting season so be very careful out there, even with permission I wear some orange. To many idiots with guns now days. I have also seen wild life officers hunt arrowheads. Make sure you know the laws especially the ARPA act of 1979 and it applies only to Federal land. Private property it's none of their business……
Be safe.

Yeah he was interested in what I had found. I didnt go into depth about earlier finds in that field. I just told him where I was allowed to hunt as in the fields. There is about 5 or 6 you can see from where I was and I pointed them out to him so in case he does come back another day he will know it is me. I have other fields I can hunt in another area and I think I will start going back to those. The cover crop is coming in really fast this yr cause of the late winter. It was my first check so I have to admit I was kinda scared even though I had permission to hunt the fields. I think he called the owner cause he stayed for a while and watched and then left.

Yep Rock a lot of these guys hunt as well they can hunt while on duty! haha Do not give them any of your spots and treat them like competition or they will ask the owners to hunt. I swear they hunt around here. Remember that they work and are paid by you. Civil servants . :thumbsup:

I have seen them hunting before but in a different area. Not sure if it was the same 2 guys or not and it wasnt to long ago either.

I would have said the least that I had too, to them, let alone pull out my pockets and show them. Hard telling, they'll probably be surfing your field before long. JMO!

Ive been questioned before while walking a lake shore.They just tend to be overly curious.Now if i would have emptied my pockets this whole story would have had a much more exciting ending.They dont seem to get to excited about artifact hunting.not yet anyways..

I would like to find the "rules" on what a DNR officer can and can't do. I have heard so many stories about their power, but these are just stories.

When you are being harassed by the government.....always answer questions with a question.

I would like to find the "rules" on what a DNR officer can and can't do. I have heard so many stories about their power, but these are just stories.

In the state of Ms. they can come in your house and look for game items if they think and I say think you have done anything. They can arrest anyone in the state, just like a Fed., They also set up stings on people digging graves and artifacts on public or private lands. I know a lot of folks are anti Government, but when the MAN has you in his crosshairs, the best thing is to be legal and say yes sir and no sir.JMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back