Dr. Sanjay Gupta: I Was Wrong About Medicinal Marijuana

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been to Hempfest a few times, and the only gripe I have with it is
too many teenyboppers running around acting like they're all grown
up. Never even seen a strong argument, let alone a fight..lol

Seattle PD is passing out the legal details of I-502 along with
the munchables, as they want to make sure people understand
what they can, and can't do.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed! It's not a "gateway" drug as some believe. I have first hand experience with this whole topic. And yes I did inhale! The fact that it has to be acquired in black market situations where many other drugs may be available leads to "gateway" experimentations! Legalize it and get with the program. Alcohol causes way more health and socioeconomic problems than THC.

You are the only other person I've heard say that about the gateway aspect. I've Try'd telling that to alot of other people and they want to run you outta town with pitchforks and torches! If I'd had stayed to just pot dealers and never been exposed to the other opportunities then I wouldn't be tempted. It's like cops running prostitution stings where they pose as a prostitute or a drug buy sting. If the crime wasn't there and the opportunity giving, then there is a 50/50 chance it wouldn't have happen. Yes they could have went somewhere else, but it also would have giving them time to think and not do it. But also you have the free will to make decisions and as a adult it's your human right to do as your mind gets made up on.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I too have been attacked from all angles on this, I'm just speaking from first hand knowledge of the culture within which I was a part of in late 80's early 90's. I no longer am able to participate (on a regular basis anyway) in those activities. If it were legal in the state in which i reside, I definitely would as I feel that it's a much safer alternative to alcohol. I rarely drink more than 1 beer or a glass of wine because it makes me feel like crap!

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For someone to say, "Obama is a great president" and also say, "Plants understand this concept. A plant will adjust to be wanted for it's survival. This is with certain flowers as well" and talk about what a great drug pot is speaks volumes to me. :) I guess, if it makes teenagers drive slower we are speaking of legalizing it for teen use. How about grade schoolers? Pre-schoolers? Or, maybe just legalize it for medical use by folks with LEGITIMATE medical problems. I have a friend that smokes it everyday. Can't remember the last time he had a job.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
NJ medical marijuana bill: What does science say?

NJ medical marijuana bill: What does science say? | Fox News

Today, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie made a decision to sign a bill that will make medical marijuana easily accessible for children.

"As I have repeatedly noted, I believe that parents, and not government regulators, are best suited to decide how to care for their children," said Governor Christie in his conditional approval of the bill. "Protection of our children remains my utmost concern, and my heart goes out to those children and their families who are suffering with serious illnesses. Today, I am making commonsense recommendations to this legislation to ensure sick children receive the treatment their parents prefer, while maintaining appropriate safeguards. I am calling on the legislature to reconvene quickly and address these issues so that children in need can get the treatment they need."

The decision will have huge implications for 2-year-old Vivian Wilson who suffers from severe form of epilepsy called Dravet Syndrome, which causes her to have multiple seizures a day. Vivian’s parents have said that ingestible extracts of certain strains of marijuana have helped children with their daughter’s condition.

But what does the science say? Dr. Arnold Fried, chairman of the Neuroscience Institute at Hackensack University Medical Center in N.J., spoke with Fox News Health of what is known about medical marijuana and how it could be used to potentially help Vivian.

What does the science show in regards to using medical marijuana to treat neurological diseases?

"The data is very poor in terms of its efficacy. With that said, there are anecdotal reports that show it helps, but there are not big studies. For it to be a good study, you would have to design it so that the (the marijuana) could be given in a way where they would also have a control sample. So the person doesn’t know if they got the drug or a placebo.

"However, in these anecdotal stories where they say it helps, there may be something else that is explaining what happens. That’s the problem with anecdotal evidence; it doesn’t control for bias, and it doesn’t control for other variables. You’d have to control for those, then see if it’s really effective. But sometimes we do make decisions based on anecdotal data, so if that’s applicable here, it may be worth a try."

In theory, how would medical marijuana help neurological issues?

"From what I know about the science, doctors prepare an edible form of an extract of marijuana. It’s not the chemical that makes you high, it’s the one that acts on the brain cells. Basically it suppresses electrical activity. A seizure is where you have an abnormal electrical signal in the brain that starts in one place or multiple places simultaneously and then spreads throughout the brain. It’s an abnormal electrical wave that causes the person to have movements or shake. So the drug would work by suppressing that wave."

Could medical marijuana potentially treat other neurological disorders?

"It’s sometimes used to treat multiple sclerosis in order to suppress some abnormal neurologic function, whether it’s pain or an unpleasant feeling in the extremity – what we call a dysesthesia. These are some uses that are talked about. And some people say the overall function for MS is approved. They’re more mobile."

What is your particular stance on medical marijuana?

"My feeling about this case is that it should not be a political question or a social question. It should be a medical question. Has this girl exhausted a more proven way of dealing with her seizures? I don’t know if a panel of physicians has really looked it over. If they have, that’s great, but if they haven’t, they need to decided: Has she availed herself of surgery or nerve stimulation, which sometimes help dramatically.

"If she truly has exhausted all the medical and surgical modalities for dealing with this epilepsy, I'm for it."

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Deep and All above in the thread!! Remember This, ALL DRUGS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS!! From Aspirin to Acid!! That's how they work!! Individuals need to know realistically what they are dealing with and then make educated decisions on their course!! Many secondary effects are not noted until years later!! Ask any of the VETS about the old Herbicide called Agent Orange!! In any event, if we can keep Ole SpiritRelic on course all will be enlightened!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Deep and All above in the thread!! Remember This, ALL DRUGS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS!! From Aspirin to Acid!! That's how they work!! Individuals need to know realistically what they are dealing with and then make educated decisions on their course!! Many secondary effects are not noted until years later!! Ask any of the VETS about the old Herbicide called Agent Orange!! In any event, if we can keep Ole SpiritRelic on course all will be enlightened!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Hey VERDE, did you see where Gov. Chris Christie changed his mind on marijuanna laws after being confronted by father of epileptic child. Everyone can have a change of heart if they study the facts. I wasn't aware they even treated children in this manner. What other medical conditions are people prescribed marijuanna for? I know its prescribed for glaucoma and in chemo treatment, just curious?

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Ah, Agent Orange.... I remember the mist of the spray falling on our LZ or FSB as they killed the vegetation so we'd have a clear fire zone. Nobody warned us about that then. It was only years afterward. Now, you go to a VA hospital and ask about it - "Oh, you don't have those symptoms...."

I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I do not have those symptoms. But then, when will those symptoms arise?

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I have to confess that I have been hit by at least 6 silver bullets. its Saturday night and im hunting early. Comon *****es

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, Agent Orange.... I remember the mist of the spray falling on our LZ or FSB as they killed the vegetation so we'd have a clear fire zone. Nobody warned us about that then. It was only years afterward. Now, you go to a VA hospital and ask about it - "Oh, you don't have those symptoms...."

I guess I'm pretty fortunate that I do not have those symptoms. But then, when will those symptoms arise?

Ya but don't you remember you were told to keep your hand over your coffee cup?

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fletch!! Good Point You Make!! The strain of plant they are using on the little girl with recurrent seizure activity is different than the plant Ole SpiritRelic uses. No apparent hallucinogenic properties!! But it does control her seizure activity!! The THC component does allievate nausea symptoms and creates appitite stimulation in individuals on Chemo!! You can actually obtain it in pill form at a pharmacy!! The Gov't grows it in Mississippi, or did at one time. In any event, it would very advantageous to have an indepth study of the plant for it's obvious medicinal properties!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pippin!! Did you change your user name?? Just wanted to be certain I'm still talking with you!! VERDE!!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using it for LEGITIMATE MEDICAL PURPOSES is completely different than legalizing it for teen use as a relaxer and munchies maker. There IS a difference you know? It's like saying alcohol kills germs so it must be a great drug for all to consume.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes Verde...this is Donald...my first screen name was pippin...then I left and came back a few years later as secretcanyon...
now I am back to my old screen name, thanks to jeff of pa and smalltowngirl...
yahoo.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
yes Verde...this is Donald...my first screen name was pippin...then I left and came back a few years later as secretcanyon...
now I am back to my old screen name, thanks to jeff of pa and smalltowngirl...
yahoo.

Good gracious!!! Welcome back SC!!! Next time you change your name, make sure you PM me!!!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sorry deepseeker, thought I did...sorry...
here is a great quote...I love true conservatives.

Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could.
William F. Buckley, Jr.
Read more at William F. Buckley, Jr. Quotes - BrainyQuote

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey pippin!! Thanks for the reply!! Thought it was you but just wanted to be sure!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions