Dr. Sanjay Gupta: I Was Wrong About Medicinal Marijuana

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
omg! Celebrity gossip, news photos, babies, couples, hotties, and more - omg! from Yahoo!

CNN medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta is reversing his position on medical marijuana and now endorses its use in a new essay and upcoming documentary.

"We have been terribly and systematically misled for nearly 70 years in the United States, and I apologize for my own role in that," Gupta, who penned an article for Time in 2009 titled "Why I Would Vote No on Pot," writes for CNN.com. "I didn't look hard enough, until now. I didn't look far enough. ... I was too dismissive of the loud chorus of legitimate patients whose symptoms improved on cannabis.

For his film, titled simply Weed, Gupta writes that he spoke to "medical leaders, experts, growers and patients" around the world. In a departure from the DEA's view on marijuana, Gupta now believes that "it doesn't have a high potential for abuse, and there are very legitimate medical applications. In fact, sometimes marijuana is the only thing that works." He cites research estimating that 9 to 10 percent of adult marijuana users become dependent, as compared to 20 percent of cocaine users, 25 percent of heroin users and 30 percent of tobacco users.

However, Gupta adds, "developing brains are likely more susceptible to harm from marijuana than adult brains," and that regular marijuana use in teenagers could lead to a "permanent decrease in IQ" or "possible heightened risk of developing psychosis."

"Much in the same way I wouldn't let my own children drink alcohol, I wouldn't permit marijuana until they are adults," he writes. "If they are adamant about trying marijuana, I will urge them to wait until they're in their mid-20s when their brains are fully developed."

Gupta specifically endorses the use of marijuana to treat cancer, neuropathic pain and post-traumatic stress disorder. "It is irresponsible not to provide the best care we can as a medical community, care that could involve marijuana," Gupta writes.

What do you think of Gupta's new position?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What do you think of Gupta's new position?

Agree 100%. Glad to see he not only recognized his mistake, he also had the
integrity to do the research himself (instead of believing the US Gov't) and speak out
about it.

Unfortunately, the Gov't sees marijuana as opportunity for "Power and Control".
They hold the Federal authority, and if the Gov't actually agreed and said they
were wrong, then they would have given up one of their bases of power. That's
just not gonna happen.

Some people worship cows as god's, or their ancient ancestors, and it is only
because those people have deemed those animals to be that, and not because
of any factual data.

Our Gov't has deemed marijuana to be some heinous substance, and they
have produced propaganda based on that for over 80 years. They could give
a rip about the facts, as in their opinion they are in control and have said
it is anathema, therefore it is. The last thing they'll ever do is say they were
wrong all that time.

Last edited:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
About time the doc speaks the truth.Free grass,free the world,free yourself.Turn on,tune in,drop out.I told you things are changing.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

mairjuna is why humans came out of the trees...beer came later.

i watched the interview with the good doctor...he seems up set the government of the united states has fed the people, and him, false facts on this plant and it's properties.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I mentioned this before. Maybe not, but my primary Doc was talking about the effects of alcohol especially long term. Then he said "I've never met an angry pot head." Of course he's met a bunch of angry drinkers. So have I.
Hippies had a saying "Do your own thing as long as you don't hurt anyone." There's also "Live and let live.... while you can." the Hustler.
Truth being Dr Gupta probably spoke out of turn by being against something he had not researched. Like Congress.

roygpa

Mar 5, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+ Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mother is diabetic, has chronic heart disease and kidney disease bad enough to require dialysis 3 times per week. She has lost a lot of weight and was given medical marijuana in a hospital in Florida to increase her appetite. It worked. After being released from the hospital she's not able to get it. She doesn't have much time left on this earth, I wish I could get her some legally so she can enjoy what time she has left.

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Every single issue that i have been pounding for the last year is coming true.Go back and look at my post.The US Government did not want pot.They knew it could create a sense of self fulfillment and awareness.So they created reefer madness and held to that for how long now?Pot can make one realize the self serving behavior of government.I got to go.I just got ran off of my Wi-Fi spot.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every single issue that i have been pounding for the last year is coming true.Go back and look at my post.The US Government did not want pot.They knew it could create a sense of self fulfillment and awareness.So they created reefer madness and held to that for how long now?Pot can make one realize the self serving behavior of government.I got to go.I just got ran off of my Wi-Fi spot.

yeah if you don't buy something McDonald's gets chippy

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Let's see: Cigarettes bad, pot good. Is that about it?

Ok, HOW is pot OK, while cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco are bad?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HEMP ROOT - A little known CURE for Muscle Pain... HEMP.com.
NOT "WACKY TOBACCY"...

Last edited:

greengold

Aug 9, 2012
Whidbey Island
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV...saving my clad for a Tesoro SandShark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tricky subject.... there are many strains with different effects for different people. If it is helping the sick, I am all for it. But the stoner who just gets baked all day, you are ruining yourself. Just like booze, moderation is key.

Night Owl

Aug 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was mandatory for the Colony's to grow Marijuana
It was more profitable to grow Tobacco so just paid the fines
it will be approved for medical use soon
you can only lie for so long...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I look at this from a different perspective. I don't think the government should be involved in drugs at all. It's none of the government's business what people put in their bodies, and it's immoral to force otherwise law-abiding people to behave according to someone else's standards. Assuming you are harming no one else, do what you want. Whats the difference between the government forcing people not to use drugs, and the government forcing people to take drugs?
Jim
PS: I don't use drugs

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Damm, a Cheech and Chong posting. Reminds me of a tune from the 60's:
"All I need to make me feel fine
Is a reefer, a woman and a bottle of wine
With those three things I don't need no sunshine
Just a reefer, a woman and a bottle of wine.

All I want is to never grow old
I want to bathe in a bathtub of gold
I want 97 kilos already rolled
I want to bathe in a bathtub of gold."

The movement lives...

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Nothing like purple haze.Go doctor go.This is your chance to right the wrongs that have gone on for so so long.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Deep! Who was asking what's happened to the USA the other day?? Absolutely Nothing!! It's just a result of the OLD Youth Peace Movement driving the course of action!! Heck, You can't Drink anything over 16oz in NYC, Too harmful to the body, Obesity, Etc, Etc!! Now, Being a Child of the times, If I could only remember what I did with that Baggie!! GOOD HUNTING!! He He!! VERDE!!

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Austin!! I thought I smelled Burning Rope the other day when I walked out of the Alamo, headed to the Rough Rider's gathering saloon on the corner!! Appears as if E.U. is taking its country back without a whimper!! AMERICA!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread