Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was too tired to post this last night so here it is now. I was out hunting a spot yesterday that despite having been written about as having a military path, I've had my doubts. Even with being doubtful and digging several lbs of junk, I keep returning because that's what we do, right?

When the first button came out I figured it was from a farmers overalls. When the second one came out I thought 'okay, he lost 2' (I didn't look at either very closely).. When the third came out I knew an article of clothing had been lost/buried. I rubbed the button and noticed that the 'dot' pattern was actually stars. I counted them and came up with 13 stars.. actually, I counted them 5-6 times before accepting there were indeed 13 stars. I'm no military buff by any means but I do know what 13 stars represent. I kept digging, taking photos, digging more.. When I was done, ready to take the final pic I thought okay, I should have at least 8 buttons.. but I had 14 :thumbsup:. All found within a 3' radius about 7"-8" down on average but a few were deeper.

Not Civil War, but still an exciting dig. It's extremely hard to find any area (nearly impossible) in my vicinity that has any history of military presence so this makes me pretty happy. - Cheers :blackbeard:
buttons-1.jpg

buttons-2.jpg

Upvote 14

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a group of those on a civil war site in Louisiana way back in the early 1990s. I finally realized what they were (no internet back then) and figured they must have been from a pair of surplus army overalls that some farmer lost or wore out and threw away.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

chub

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug a group of those on a civil war site in Louisiana way back in the early 1990s. I finally realized what they were (no internet back then) and figured they must have been from a pair of surplus army overalls that some farmer lost or wore out and threw away.

I get where you're coming from. I've been told there was a military trail in the area... I doubted it, then I found a civil war era heart buckle (horse harness). Now about 100 yards from that spot, I find these. It certainly doesn't prove anything but it does add to the mystery. I'd be happy with one more military related item though.. I may have to believe after that.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I rubbed the button and noticed that the 'dot' pattern was actually stars. I counted them and came up with 13 stars.. actually, I counted them 5-6 times before accepting there were indeed 13 stars. I'm no military buff by any means but I do know what 13 stars represent.

Being international and not a US military buff, enlighten me. Iโ€™m always down to learn something new.

And since itโ€™s likely a great find, congratulations!

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being international and not a US military buff, enlighten me. Iโ€™m always down to learn something new.

And since itโ€™s likely a great find, congratulations!

13 stars represent the 13 USA colonies that fought for their independence in the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). Our first flag had 13 stars in a circle.

These are referred to as 'Burst of Glory' buttons.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! And thanks for the information. I know nothing about buttons. I will have to look those up.
Congratulations!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will make you a believer thats awesome I would be rippin into that site.. Well done

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are from a WW2 Army HBT uniform. To have that many buttons in one spot would probably have been 2 of the shirts or possibly an entire shirt/pant set

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread