Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who use the Etrac will tell you "yes." Those who use the SE will tell you "no." The advice you need to consider is from the member that owns and has used both. :)

Cheers,

Buckles

John S

Dec 5, 2005
I did have the SE and sold it and got a e-trac. Out of the 2 I like the SE better. You can get a SE used for about $800. The Se is easy to use then the e-trac on setting , the e-trac is better on pinpointing , I like the tones of the SE better. I have the e-trac and I'll just have to learn to like it.

metalman338

Greenie
Apr 18, 2006
i can only speak for myself YES :icon_thumleft: it is a little hard to learn but it is worth it,the first couple of times i used it i would have said no to that ? but I'm finally figuring it out : :laughing7: tony

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or save the cash and get a used Quattro yull get depth silver and relics. Ive seen some nice silver found with the Quattro

John S

Dec 5, 2005
Silver crazy said:
I was looking to buy a Explorer SE Pro but i have been looking at E-Trac also. My question is, is the E-Trac worth the extra money that you have to pay for it over the SE Pro? I mainly coin hunt and looking for deep silver in Iron and trash. Thanks
I have a e-trac and have had a se. I like the se better.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I thought the E-trac had any chance of being better than my explorer I would have one. Money wasn't the issue because in the last 6 months I bought another brand detector, 3 watches, clothes, and a pair of sunglasses which I would have gladly given up for a better detector. (actually could have had a few e-tracs) But now I'm near broke, but very happy having an old explorer to swing. :thumbsup:

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
Well i started out with the SE with pro coil. Used it for about a year. I really like the machine. i sold it and bought an e-trac. Reason was is that so many e-trac users say its a great coin machine. and thats what i hunt.. Being the combine feature and easy editing "on the go" made the machine a must for me.

I have found more silver with the e-trac in hunted out places the first week with the e-trac than i did at 30+ locations with the SE.. just seems to find that old silver for me.. although the numbers were small.. still popped out great coins.

It really is all in the user. But with the faster processor, combine feature, and easier pinpointing (IMO) i think the e-trac is the only machine to have.. In fact its so good i bought another e-trac just to convert my dad.. although he is all tesoro. but atleast i have another one to let anyone i meet out in the field use one. thats what it comes down to. Hands on..

Hope this little post helped you...

also download the e-trac emulator on minelabs site.. its a great way to test the machine without buying the machine.. there is also an emulator for the Explorer SE as well

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corpsegrinder said:
I have found more silver with the e-trac in hunted out places the first week with the e-trac than i did at 30+ locations with the SE.. just seems to find that old silver for me.. although the numbers were small.. still popped out great coins.

I could hit 30 fields that never had a house and find nothing, but always find a few silver at the local park that's been deteted for 25 years. If the e-trac was really that good there would be a much bigger buzz about it than there is.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
LOL you always crack me up with your post. specially being a minelab fan.. :laughing9: But if you lived close to me. i would make a believer out of you.. :laughing7: but you would have to leave that spandex suit at the house..

there is pros and cons to every machine.. but plenty of SE users on every detecting site that switched and plenty of others that just outright bought the e-trac will tell you.. its a great machine. Regardless of anything else.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corpsegrinder said:
LOL you always crack me up with your post. specially being a minelab fan.. :laughing9: But if you lived close to me. i would make a believer out of you.. :laughing7: but you would have to leave that spandex suit at the house..

there is pros and cons to every machine.. but plenty of SE users on every detecting site that switched and plenty of others that just outright bought the e-trac will tell you.. its a great machine. Regardless of anything else.

Just look what you wrote! You really expect people to think any top detetor is that much better, nevermind two top units from the same company.

I wish you were here so I could show you a thing or two about what I've learned over the last nine years using an explorer. People who make a big deal about recovery speed are the ones that I think never really did learn how to use the explorer around trash. They don't know you adapt the speed and lenght of your swing depending on the conditions. They just swing the same way all of the time. That's probably why the E-trac, or any faster detector makes a difference because it's the unit doing the work, and not the users brain. The problem is the machine will only do so much by itself. I show plenty of fellow explorer users masked targets they can't hear and I have no question I would do the same to a lot of e-trac users.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
Me too.. I sure wished i lived closer to you and CPT Se.. I could learn a thing or two.. I never said i knew what i was talking about. Only thing I was trying to say is that the e-trac worked better for me than the SE pro.. that's all.. But i do think its comparing apples to oranges. These two machines are exactly that.. two different machines.. Comes down to what works better for the user.

OP
OP
S

Silver crazy

Aug 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, CZ-7A Pro
Well i have decided to get the E- Trac. Sounds like it is better and easier to learn than the Explorer. Should be getting it soon can't wait to try it. Thanks everyone.

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
Wow.. Guy comes in here giving his opinion and you pick an argument? Man. You haven't even used an e-trac so honestly you have NO basis for comparison..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corpsegrinder said:
Wow.. Guy comes in here giving his opinion and you pick an argument? Man. You haven't even used an e-trac so honestly you have NO basis for comparison..

Nope. There would be no reason to argue with someone that makes statements such as yours. Don't you think it might be just a little misleading for someone who is trying to decide on a detector and sees a post saying I hunted 30 sites with the SE and got nothing, but the E-trac is grabbing silver from the beat sites. I see lots of hype but only call out the ones that make statements that are ridiculous. Also, there's not any top detectors that are that far apart in performance to justify such a post.

gibsondan

Nov 15, 2008
No matter what kind of detector you get, just get out there and hunt and learn your machine. I cruise the forums and see guys posting they have Explorers and E-tracs but aren't finding silver - just clad. They're mad and think they bought the wrong detector. The more experienced detectorists who hunt a lot post their silver finds all the time. These are guys who also hunt with Explorers and E-tracs. The detectorist is as important (if not more important) as the detector. If he doesn't hunt a lot and learn what his detector is telling him, it doesn't matter whether he has an Explorer or E-trac. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with any model of the Explorer or the E-trac. They're all great detectors. But you have to learn what each one is telling you. Do that and I think you'll love your detector no matter which it is. Good Luck!

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Corpsegrinder said:

Just look what you wrote! You really expect people to think any top detetor is that much better, nevermind two top units from the same company.

I wish you were here so I could show you a thing or two about what I've learned over the last nine years using an explorer. People who make a big deal about recovery speed are the ones that I think never really did learn how to use the explorer around trash. They don't know you adapt the speed and lenght of your swing depending on the conditions. They just swing the same way all of the time. That's probably why the E-trac, or any faster detector makes a difference because it's the unit doing the work, and not the users brain. The problem is the machine will only do so much by itself. I show plenty of fellow explorer users masked targets they can't hear and I have no question I would do the same to a lot of e-trac users.
Ever since the E-trac came out all you have done is bashed it and talked bad about it. You always try to discount any tests done with it and frankly it gets old. If you are happy with your explorer then great, but think when you were thinking about getting it, what if some old timer was all over the forum talking it down and about how it will never be as good as the BBS and the Sovereign. Each of Minelabs detectors for the most part have been a progression forward, what makes you think it is any different with the Etrac?? The poster that you attacked was only giving his opinion about his personal experience, you have never claimed to have used an Etrac so I see your replies as 1 sided. The ergonomics and weight issues alone are enough to take a real hard look at the Etrac over the Explorer. If someone posts blasting the Explorer then please, let them have it with both barrels, but if someone is comparing Etracs and Explorers then you really cant comment until you have tried the Etrac. Good Day.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
any machine is only as good as you are working it. To work it good you have educate yourself with it and practice with it. The more time you spent with it the more you learn it's language of talking to you. My 2 cents anyway lol

I have many machines and just bought an Etrac so I am looking forward to swinging and learning.

Thanks for all the options on here

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
I run an X terra 705 and like the machine. It is a quality tool. I see many guys that find alot of silver with it. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with Explorers who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with Sovereigns who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with E Traks who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with Garrets who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with Fishers who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.
I see guys with Whites who love the machine and have found lots of silver. They seem to love the machine. They have taken the time to learn the machine.

I could go on but you get my point. I perfer a Mustang to a Camero. I have spent much time in both and owned one of the 2. I can make an educated choice.

Buy a machine and learn it. Enjoy yourself and don't let 1 man make your choice for you in any thing you do.

I owned the 70 1/2 Camero RS
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread