✅ SOLVED Early cuff button from 1808-1816 Fort. Possible Revolutionary or Washington.

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thirteen arrows extending from a 13 pointed star. Thick outline. No back mark, shank intact. One piece struck. Circle in the middle of sun/star. 12.76 mm. Recovered at a pre-1812 fort. Not in Alberts. Thinking Revolutionary War period or early state militias, but can find no info. Any help appreciated. Image in tenths of an inch.

FC4F2328-48C1-47C4-AC87-B95A72AE7930.jpeg

DD14ECA9-9960-40C0-A24C-EB7298A6BBF3.jpeg

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen that design but it's SWEET looking!!!! CONGRATZ...

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that puppy looks old freakin cool find

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
North Alabama. Could be troop movement. If you find it, PM me.

You mean, "Upper Alabama"...

I always tell people I was born in LA - Lower Alabama (Mobile). :laughing7:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think your button is civilian. The sunburst motif was popular at the turn of the 19th C.

Also, IMO, many of what we 'cuff buttons' are actually vest or waistcoat buttons - not that there's any real difference in the size.

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry, couldn't resist. I think your button is civilian. The sunburst motif was popular at the turn of the 19th C.

Also, IMO, many of what we 'cuff buttons' are actually vest or waistcoat buttons - not that there's any real difference in the size.

Hey I'm in the other Lower Alabama aka Panama City, Florida aka FLA aka F...ing Lower Alabama...........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt, I have been doing a study on the buttons I have recovered at this site - and you are right, the variation is minimal when you start talking about size. Unless you have an actual piece of clothing you can’t know what the button was used for. BTW, an archaeologist friend of mine agrees with your civilian assessment.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice button, especially way down south where you are. I have some similar ones, but smaller and they are civilian patterns last quarter of the 18th century to first quarter of the 19th.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice button, especially way down south where you are. I have some similar ones, but smaller and they are civilian patterns last quarter of the 18th century to first quarter of the 19th.

Could they have been militia used?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ColtsPop

Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Archaeologist friend - the mystery continues:

I couldn't find a match to your flat cast 1-piece button with the 13-pointed star design, but that decoration is close to types made for the US military between 1808 and 1821. That broad rim band is quite distinctive. If you are able to bring out any lettering in the rim band or in the center of the star, maybe we could locate a match in the literature.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to answer your question, a militia could use anything. They were civilians after all.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Agreed, a common civvy flat button.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread