old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I finally found a clovis! The material is red jasper, but there is a small nick near the point.

Folder # 3 005.JPG Folder # 3 006.JPG

Hope you like it, I love it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you guess how the point got there? Man or wounded animal?

i wonder about that also

were you at or near an area where other flakes or worked pieces were laying?

"The woolly mammoth coexisted with early humans, who used its bones and tusks for making art, tools, and dwellings, and the species was also hunted for food.[SUP][1][/SUP] It disappeared from its mainland range at the end of the Pleistocene 10,000 years ago, most likely through a combination of climate change, consequent disappearance of its habitat, and hunting by humans."

So the odds of this being the point that killed the last woolly mammoth are about as great as finding such a fine piece. We can dream anyway. This sounds like the beginning of a James Michener novel. What a beautiful piece.

The most likely mammals that would have been Bison and Camel, as their bones have been unearthed in the area.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and can you imagine going after one of those fellers with (let's face it) little more than a pointed stick?

lol! Get a good throw at the heart-lung area, jump on the old wooden bike and try to get to safer distance. lol! :laughing7:

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's one hell of a point. You just never know what's out there for you.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Congrats on a banner find. The small bite on the tip looks clean to me. Could it be where a fossil fell out of the stone? What do you make of this small spot Digger? Damage or a natural flaw in the stone?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
to me that chip makes it look REAL.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if anybody has asked already but what's the length on it?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely the animals were seeking water and were therefore hunted in the same area. Or it may have been a camp site, and was lost there. I'll need to go back and see if it is possible to find any chips or other artifacts.

I wonder how deep that critter dug his hole? Might want to check the dirt level where it dug maybe measure the depth of the pile to get an idea as to how deep that point was. You might not find any chips or signs cause they might be a foot or two under where you will be standing. Dont know if you can dig or not in that area but that would be worth it to find another one. Maybe have somebody help you. Id offer but im to far away, hehe

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a banner find. The small bite on the tip looks clean to me. Could it be where a fossil fell out of the stone? What do you make of this small spot Digger? Damage or a natural flaw in the stone?

After zooming in on this first photo it looks like there may have been a flaw in the stone which caused it to chip out. You can see some type of dark colored imperfection in the chipped out section.

Folder # 3 018.JPG

Attachments

• Folder # 3 019.JPG
    Folder # 3 019.JPG
    988.4 KB · Views: 119

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful!!! Great find my friend!! I knew it was banner worthy!!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely stunning...CONGRATS!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a small quartz inclusion in the stone jasper does have them once in a while just like flint around here. But that's nothing it is still a beauty ding or not. I don't believe I have ever seen one made from that material let alone the color. Its a amazing find IMO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread