florida point types

dirttracker

Greenie
May 30, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
none right now-more of a rock hound-I used to detect but haven't done it in 10 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some real nice ones. Got to be careful with those state laws though. I know Georgia has some tricky laws.

OP
OP
D

dirttracker

Greenie
May 30, 2015
florida
Detector(s) used
none right now-more of a rock hound-I used to detect but haven't done it in 10 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some real nice ones. Got to be careful with those state laws though. I know Georgia has some tricky laws.
Im not to worried, I haven't even looked in years. About every single family here has some. They are in every garden you plant,Ive found them beside a sidewalk,they lay on top of the ground as they wash from every river,stream,sinkhole,hill or whatever. I stepped on one at the church picnic at a local park and dang near cut my toe off. I moved to a piece of property and I find them and pottery shards every time I turn the garden over. Every neighbor Ive met have similar frames and some old farmers have collected 1000,s of them nearby and one old guy just throws them in a bucket. I was looking at a hunting lease on a piece of property with the owner and we are walking around in this big plowed area and his son named Flint(no kidding) reaches down and picks up the biggest cookie cutter Ive ever seen online,or in person. About 7 inches long and perfect. The kid put it in his pocket.I have nothing special.Same old thing everyone else has. Im not tearing up anything,I just look at the ground more than most. This is Florida, one of my neighbors(in his 80s) said when they plowed the road his son and him picked up 5, 2 gallon buckets of points in one afternoon.I was doing some work on jobsite for a local sherriff and even he had frames on the wall. If they come after me they will have to arrest half the state of florida. Im not selling them,I had to dig them out of boxes today to show you.Im getting older and slower,my eyes are not getting better,I cant deal with the heat and snakes like I used to.Ive lost interest in finding them unless I step on one. With the history of florida and ease of internet research Im thinking about a new hobby.I just have to determine whats the best metal detector for my area. I can be half blind and partially deaf and MD.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't trying to be rude just was making you aware of it.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are definitely nice and Florida is not the way it used to be unfortunately.. having good intentions and causing no harm really has no bearing.
Being on your own property or property you have expressed written permission to collect on is one thing and you will be safe outside of that picking an arrowhead up off the ground even if its in a park is a misdemeanor digging of any sort and collecting is a felony.
That's just the way it is in this state now.
Advertising collecting from job sites and other areas on a worldwide public forum it's not the greatest of ideas. There's been many recent arrests in exactly those type of areas
I hear you on the metal detecting go with a Garrett at Pro.
P.S.
You have a couple really nice Newnans in there

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the state of Florida recently did a sting of arrowhead collectors ...including a college professor (retired) who had massive collection --the shame that it caused upon him to be labeled as a "thief and looter" lead to him killing himself .. the state now has a "0" collecting from any public owned lands policy .. only private land and land with the land owners ok is allowed (not much they can do about that thankfully) --and the state's archies still frown on that as well .. but as you say lots of folks will pick up a point if its sitting in a dirt road or farm field --to prevent it from being destroyed by getting ran over or smashed by a plow

Last edited:

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome collection dirttracker. I laughed at the name 'Flint'. In new york I guess you aren't supposed to pick up artifacts on state owned property, but you can look for them...On private property and with permission ( if not yours ) you can do whatever you want with them. I really don't understand these laws, I can see if people were digging sites and disturbing burials and making digging illegal, but to preserve these things? boggles my mind a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions