Folks I think I?ve had it really, America as we knew it gone, I?d like to pack it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, some of the folks are just plain dumb at Haulover.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I watch those videos on Youtube all the time. They are great. You know I think I would have to giver her a go if I had the boat for it.
Off topic, but did you see the gal sunbathing on the bow of that one boat?? Whooooeeee!

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got back from Geneva on the beach Lake Erie, Ohio. Hey it’s a poor mans key west. It was a nice day, beaches are going away, didn’t detect, anyone been there or detect surrounding area.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put in bay, never been there, presque island either maybe soon Pennsylvania

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who attempt to regulate the profiteers soon find themselves out of a job. I've known many regulators in gov't agencies and they all know the saying "Do your job - lose your job". The saying is nearly as ubiquitous as the old soviet worker saying "They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work".

Not where I worked. Private sector. Do your job well 1)avoid layoffs 2) get bonuses (one years ago was $10,000!
3) get promotions 4) management gets upset at the thought of you leaving

Sorry, I have no respect for the 5 guys who stand by a hole in the road and STARE at it for three hours, then one decided to take the 10 minutes to fix it. They should be jailed for FRAUD. Because in essence that is STEALING from the taxpayers or whoever is paying them.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not where I worked. Private sector. Do your job well 1)avoid layoffs 2) get bonuses (one years ago was $10,000!
3) get promotions 4) management gets upset at the thought of you leaving

Sorry, I have no respect for the 5 guys who stand by a hole in the road and STARE at it for three hours, then one decided to take the 10 minutes to fix it. They should be jailed for FRAUD. Because in essence that is STEALING from the taxpayers or whoever is paying them.

LOL - I responded about regulators, not road work, but now that you mention it, road work is almost entirely contracted out in our state to, wait for it...the private sector.

I personally saw some outstanding people fired - some for refusing to do things that were illegal, such as refusing to falsify data.

Here is an example of a biologist (disclosure, Brenda is a friend) fired because the science-based size limits on blue crabs that have been in effect for decades suddenly offended a handful of harvesters (voters). I could name dozens of scientists and regulators fired for telling the truth but it is off topic (I think). How many more examples of hardworking honest non-partisan scientists employed by gov't getting fired would you like?

https://talbotspy.org/marylands-veteran-crab-manager-fired-after-watermen-complain-to-hogan-2/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion/columnists/dan-rodricks/bs-md-rodricks-0305-20170304-story.html

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Think "lake effect snow".

The natives here by Lake Michigan (Well some of them) would migrate towards/to the lake in summer , then inland into valleys come winter.
Now that I've stated that , someone will come up with natives passing natives going the opposite direction , l.o.l. And it is easy enough to figure not all headed towards the big lake in summer. But did enjoy the river(s) relief from hottest days.

Lakeshore is one climate. Inland a ways is another , tempered by the lake and predominant wind.
One day the snow rolls over the highway along the lake like a cave roof , then drops.
Another day it does not fall till miles inland.
Where I am in the forest it's an average two weeks behind open areas when snow melts.
I tell myself it's cooler in summer as a result...
Most native cross country type trails between lakes or river drainages (per maps) were in more open areas , or in dense mature white pine's. Both easier to travel early spring.

There are times it's a few degrees warmer at the lakeshore in winter (even more on rare occasions) due to the lakes temperature volume. With your mentioned lake effect snow.
Those years when ice covers most of the great lakes (less it seems of late) , lake effect is reduced.
As waters cool it is reduced too.
Come summer it is often a few degrees cooler at the lakeshore.

Of interest year round is areas lake affected temps pass through areas of regions due to terrain.
I'm North of a river valley . Temps can average a few degrees different within 50 miles both directions. Cooler in summer here. Cooler in winter.
Natives knew that by thier actions. With that valley/drainage (like others) a long term home.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our government is so clean, above board, lean, steadfast - oops, I have to go puke, I'll be back soon.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most native Florida residents wish people would quit moving here, it has become too crowded and they bring their politics with them. The first hurricane that hits the state after new residents arrive usually sends the faint of heart back north.

I don't know anybody who lives anywhere that wishes more strangers would move in near them. The world has become too crowded.

I was born in 1959 and the total world population was estimated to be 2,979,500,000 people. Now it is 7,874,900,000. 2.6 times increase. Will double again in probably under 40 years. They gotta go somewhere.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anybody who lives anywhere that wishes more strangers would move in near them. The world has become too crowded.

I was born in 1959 and the total world population was estimated to be 2,979,500,000 people. Now it is 7,874,900,000. 2.6 times increase. Will double again in probably under 40 years. They gotta go somewhere.

True, but they can just go somewhere else. :laughing7:

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family?s been in Florida since 1812?.if it was all that bad we would have died out by now?.still going strong in FL!
I've known at least 20 people over the years who moved to Florida and all but one came back here to New England. That tells me all I need to know about Florida. Nice place to visit, but no one wants to live there permanently. Ridiculous heat and humidity, gators, pythons, frogs and lizards everywhere, bugs the size of your fist, devastating hurricanes and so on. No thanks...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family?s been in Florida since 1812?.if it was all that bad we would have died out by now?.still going strong in FL!

I'm a direct descendant of Roger Williams, so my family's been here since 1636! Still going strong here for 385 years!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My family has been here since 1608, second year of the James town colony. EVERY generation has moved west, sometimes county by county, sometimes state by state. Even I was born a county east of where I live now (on the coast)...my oldest son....he is in Japan...I supposed Hawaii would have made sense too. I just wonder where the grandchildren will go east to...

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from Ca Ira Va. Well if it's work you seek don't come here . this area is a ghost town , no work, no doctors , no grocery store and no traffic lights, and almost no people . oh things were booming in the 1700s but not anymore... look us up it's some neat history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca_Ira,_Virginia

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings from Ca Ira Va. Well if it's work you seek don't come here . this area is a ghost town , no work, no doctors , no grocery store and no traffic lights, and almost no people . oh things were booming in the 1700s but not anymore... look us up it's some neat history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca_Ira,_Virginia

You must have found some goodies in that area! I just read up on it, lots of history!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family has been here since 1608, second year of the James town colony. EVERY generation has moved west, sometimes county by county, sometimes state by state. Even I was born a county east of where I live now (on the coast)...my oldest son....he is in Japan...I supposed Hawaii would have made sense too. I just wonder where the grandchildren will go east to...

You may have the record for this forum for colonies that became America. Mine settled at L'Habitat Port Royal Nova Scotia in 1605, ejected by the British after the fall of Louisbourg about 1758 where they went west to Quebec with long trapping and hunting forays in the American West and intermarriages with native American women, at least through the 1830's, with some documentation in church records. Ultimately, they moved from Quebec to eastern MA to work in the mills and live in French Canadian neighborhoods. I made peace with our former enemies by marrying an Irish/Scottish/English girl.

IMO, people should learn where they came from - if for no other reason than to appreciate the hardships faced by those who came before us.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Wally World in the frozen section... and this young girl is buying big bags of various frozen burritos.. so i think to myself "she really likes those"... so i say to her... "those must be good"...

She says "yeah they are pretty good but i am buying that many because i have 6 kids".

I am sure my smile weakened slightly out of surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread